2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2014 1:00 PM by jmart RSS

Were you denied the Look No Further Guarantee, although you perfectly qualify for it?

axel Member
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I made a reservation through Marriott.com for the AC Hotel Palau de Bellavista in Girona, Spain for three adults travelling together  This hotel has no family or triple rooms, so I had to book two double or twin rooms instead.

I had noticed that Booking.com offered a better rate for this hotel, so I decided to give the Look No Further Guarantee, the Marriott way of "lowest price guarantee" a try.

Therefore, I had to book rooms through Marriott.com at the lowest possible rate, which is a non refundable rate for the rooms only (as usual).

To my surprise, the reservation procedure on Marriott.com automatically assumes that when you book two or more rooms at a time, all double or twin rooms are booked as if they will effectively be used to sleep two people. This has no immediate incidence on the room rate since this hotel charges the same rate for two people sharing a room and for single occupancy -- it charges the same rate for bed and breakfast for two people sharing a double room and for a single person as well.

However, it makes a difference in the total cost for the rooms which was charged to my credit card.

Booking.com charges only the room rate and the applicable VAT, and their website mentions that the local city tax of 0,99 euros per person and per night will be payable at the reception.

Marriott.com charges basically the same room rate and the same VAT as Booking.com, but on top of that the city tax at 0,99 euros per person per night is added to the prepayment, again assuming that there are 2 people sharing every room. This means that we already prepaid city tax for 4, even though we will be just 3.

Adding insult to injury, our Marriott.com reservation confirmations contain a "Hotel Alert", stating that the new city tax of EUR 1 per person per night is not included in the rates and will have to be paid at the reception. This means that, in order to enjoy the "lowest price guarantee" we will have to pay 8 times the city tax (4 in advance and 4 with a surcharge at the reception) for every night spent. If we had made our reservation through Booking.com, we would have had to pay in advance exactly the same room rate and the same VAT, but not the city tax; and just 3 times the city tax of 0,99 euros per person per day at the reception -- exactly as it should be.

Not surprisingly, the rate applied by Marriott.com is higher than the rate on Booking.com for the same rooms, at the same dates at the same hotel.

It is so obvious that the Look No Further Guarantee should be applied in full on our reservation, but Marriott Customer Care has so far refused to do so.

They do not even agree to compensate me for having precharged a city tax for 4 people when in effect we are only a party of 3 and apparently having drawn their attention on the anomaly of charging the city tax twice and at different rates leaves them completely indifferent.

After their denial of my claim, they refuse to reply to my e-mails asking to discuss this matter with the manager.

For almost a day now, they do not react at all to my reminders!

Can anybody who really cares about Marriott and its customers give me advice on how to get the Look No Further Guarantee applied on my reservation as it should?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...