20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2014 12:57 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Salisbury (England), not steak

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here is the most 'French [Gothic] Style] cathedral in England, which so surprised my tour guide when I picked it number one with Stonehenge slightly behind and Bath way behind (I'll insert a few Bath photos tomorrow).  Unfortunately, Magna Carta is like the Mona Lisa -- tiny with crowds surrounding it. No photos allowed. The last photo is a model of what it would have looked like in the Middle Ages with nearby Old Sarum.Ol100_2535_1.JPG100_2541_1.JPG100_2546_1.JPG100_2549 copy.JPG100_2544_1.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Salisbury (England), not steak
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Wonderful!

Some day I will tell you in person about the "Wild night" I had there staying at The Winston Churchill Hotel.  Walked across the street to a local pub, got into a dart game, and stayed there all night!  Never did it prior to that night nor since, but is was a lot of fun!

Those were in the days when I rented cars and drove around England, those days are gone!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Jerry,

I think you should tell us all about your wild night now -- confession is good for the soul!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Yup jerrycoin Fess up!

professor and tommo!

I'm afraid my "Wild nights" would not measure up to most people's!

I went out to a nearby pub, had a brew, got into a "Dart Game", and stayed out all night!

Never had done that before or since!

Have never played darts since, but it was a memorable time!

English Pubs can be very interesting!

It's the "stayed out all night" part that has enquiring minds want to know more about...

professor,

It was sort of "Crazy", cause I just walked across the street to have "One".  The next thing I knew was everyone was so friendly, we played darts, had a few, and the next thing I knew "The Sun was coming up"!

What a wonderful place Salisbury was!  Hope to make it back.  I figure the hotel and pub are still there, and if so will visit again, but not stay out all night!

Don't even get me started on English pubs!  Now, that is an area I have considerable expertise in!

I love Bath!! 

Hi tommo,

I love the abbey and old Roman parts of the city -- it's just the uniformity of architecture and colors of buildings elsewhere in the city that I don't like (didn't even take any photos).  But this one's for you (of the parts I did like):100_2640 copy.JPG100_2626 copy.JPG100_2642 copy.JPG100_2634 copy.JPG100_2621.JPG

Yup prof, been there, done that! Lovely photos BTW, very professional.  I was only joking with you when I said I love Bath (which I honestly do).  We all have our favourite places, and it wouldn't do for us to all like the same.

Thanks so much, tommo -- coming from you it means a great deal, since you're a local .  I never meant to imply I didn't like Bath, it was just that on that tour it seemed (according to the guide) that everyone chose it as their top pick.  For me as a medievalist, Salisbury Cathedral, a brief glimpse toward Runnymede, and Stonehenge simply trumped it.  And yeah, I really didn't like the general town architecture, but the center is spectacular.

I'm very weird in my likes and dislikes in England.  I prefer the East End and West India Quay in London far more than the West End and (in a very different part) I loved Chester the one time I oddly ended up there.  I really like East Anglia -- I preferred Cambridge to Oxford a lot, even though I spent a whole week in Oxford once for a conference and only got to Cambridge on a day tour that included Norwich and Ely.  Loved Ely!  Only problem was it was early morning in late fall, but also loved Norwich.  We visited the castle and Julian of Norwich's restored anchorhold.  Surprisingly, I had mixed feelings about the parts of England I should love best -- the far north.  I liked York a lot, the Minster, Clifford's Tower, the walls, etc., and should have liked Durham except the people were really nasty in a few different places, including the cathedral gift shop where I spent a ridiculous amount of money.

I need to go back to the Midlands where I long ago visited Warwick castle.  I am a member of the Richard III Society, and don't know if you've been following the lawsuits about his reburial after discovery in the car park (non-historians, probably stop reading), but it seems quite a to-do.  But after this long, and after Shakespeare, Thomas More and the Tudors seriously destroyed the reputation of a reform-minded good man (albeit a usurper for a good cause = anti-Woodville) I think he deserves his due.

At some point I must get to Wales and Scotland.  I was on the border in Chester, and liked what I saw, and nearly went to Edinburgh this past spring.  Trouble is it has to be on me, since I'm not doing any research on either.

Here's to Bath (and baths, which I love),

ProfChiara

profchiara  I hereby award you the title of "Honourary Brit"!  Reading your post above, was soooooooo incredible to me.  In order of where they appear in your post - here goes.

Our favourite London hotel is Marriott, West India Quay.  We love it, and have another booking there for later this year.  I have mentioned it on several threads.  We also love Docklands in general.  Mrs Tommo used to go there regularly when the Head Office of the company she worked for was there.  Do you remember the Docklands bomb in 1996?  Her building was blown up in that.  She should have been there, but an appointment was changed, and she was at home watching in horror as the scenario unveiled on the TV.

Now - I am delighted you really like East Anglia.  Because that is where we live!!!!!  Cambridge is a lovely city, and as you rightly say Ely is spectacular for a small city.  It has everything.  Old buildings, a stunning cathedral, the river etc etc.  As to Norwich - it is our local city!  We live less than 20 miles away, so know it very, very well.  We go most weeks for one reason or another, and have theatre tickets there this week, a solicitors appointment next week, and lunch with friends the week after.  As well as the castle (brilliant) there is a wonderful cathedral, which rivals Salisbury in many respects.  Google Norwich Cathedral images, and you will see.

York - one of our favourite places in the whole world.  We have several friends there and go at least twice a year.  We will be there in a few weeks.  We probably know York better than most places in the UK.  I too like Durham, but don't know it as well as York.  Can't say about the people, except that York always feels friendlier than Durham somehow.

We have a friend who lives near Warwick and have been to the castle.  They had a battle re-enactment when we went, but it turned out to be more of a skirmish really.

Being amateur historians ourselves, we know all about Richard's remains being found under a Leicester car park!   It was big news over here, as have the ensuing arguments etc.  I expect you have seen this King Richard III’s coffin to be created by monarch’s descendent | News | Design Week .

We don't know Wales at all, even though Mrs Tommo has Welsh ancestry!  But we do know Scotland very well.  If you liked Chester, you will love Edinburgh.  Again, I have put stuff in threads about Edinburgh several times.  So if ever you decide to go, we can tell you a lot about it!

Oh, and both of us prefer a bath to a shower as well.

How much more do we have in common do you think?  Amazing.

Tommo

Thank you, Tommo!  I shall henceforward be known as The Honorable Brit ProfChiara .  It does sound like we like a lot of the same places.  And IMHO you live in the best part of England!

Well, thankyou kind sir.  I also think we live in the best part of England, but then I would say that wouldn't I. 

Sir?  Must I be a Sir to be an Honorable Brit? Alas.

Nope, you don't.  I called you sir, with a small s, which is just a polite form of address.  Sir with a capital S means you have been knighted under the order of chivalry.  So you are fine being a sir, and an honourary Brit!

Can't I be Lady Brit?

Oops!  I didn't look at your profile!  Sorry, I didn't realise.    Of course you can be Lady Honourary Brit!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Prof, if you get to Wales, by all means, go North and visit one of the finest castles in UK (Conwy) and stay a couple of days in Llandudno, where you can drive up the hill overlooking the Irish Sea and the coastline of Llandudno. There's another great castle site, a few miles sourh at Caernarfon.

Regarding cathedrals, my wife and I have visited many of them (Salisbury, Ely, Canterbury, Lincoln, Leeds, York, Scotland's St. Giles, and of course, London's Westminster, etc.), and we've even climbed up on the roof (from inside) Ely Cathedral to see the Octagon below from atop the chancel, and the interior, roof architectural structure - a breathtaking experience!

(Lincoln Cathedral)Lincoln Cathedral - England 5-28-2007-21.jpg

(Canterbury Cathedral, below)

canterburycathedral002.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...