4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2014 1:12 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Stonehenge - Happy Solstice!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

It's been a few years since I was at Salisbury, Bath and Stonehenge, but I thought on this solstice I would share some wonderful Druid images.  My tour guide asked me afterwards which I had most enjoyed of the three places and was very surprised with my answer (since apparently no one answers that way. I said Salisbury Cathedral first (with its copy of Magna Carta and being the only real 'French style' Gothic in England), but Stonehenge a close second and Bath a very distant third.  (Seems everyone else loves Bath.  I found it incredibly boring except for the Roman baths and deplored the uniform Jane Austen-esque architecture).  But everyone had told me who'd been there that Stonehenge would disappoint since it's such a big deal in pop culture.  It didn't -- it was extraordinarily impressive.  My only problem with the tour was that it was described as going by Runnymede (where King John had to sign Magna Carta in 1215).  Unfortunately, the bus didn't stop and the guide just said "look to your left at that field and that's where it happened."  Historians like me go nuts when people tell us that!100_2600.JPG100_2594 copy.JPG100_2603 copy.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Stonehenge - Happy Solstice!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Thanks for your analysis!

Must say, I found Salisbury to be a wonderful place to visit, and did enjoy Stonehenge as well!

Please keep the photo's and comments coming!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Prof!  Thanks for the pics and the Historic perspective. 

shoeman

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I loved Stonehenge as well. It was one of my last stops in the UK when I visited last November. Here is one of the many pictures I took.

Stonehenge.jpg

Interestingly, one of the first places I visited outside of London was Avebury, an even larger stone circle than Stonehenge (in fact the town of Avebury is contained with the ring of stones).

Avebury.jpg

It's almost hard to imagine until you see it. Bath didn't impress me much either, and though I didn't visit Salisbury Cathedral, I did explore the one in Wells. Amazing!

Thanks for bringing back some great memories and Happy Solstice.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejay,

Love the pictures and memories!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...