5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2014 8:22 AM by pingreeman RSS

Does converting UA miles to Marriott Rewards count to Lifetime points?

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently converted some United miles to Marriott Rewards and was wondering if those points count to the my lifetime points with Marriott. I couldn't find the answer through searches. Anyone know?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Does converting UA miles to Marriott Rewards count to Lifetime points?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't think it matters how you accumulate points. I expect they would count just the same as any others you earn (stays, bonuses, credit cards, etc.).

I would be nice to get a definite answer from Marriott. The specified item was not found. always goes after those. I'm sure he can find out the official answer, but I'm guessing that these points will count toward your lifetime total.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I am 99% certain that a "conversion-to-points" does not count towards LT-status; only those "earned directly as points" (i.e., banked via a Marriott-sponsored connection) count towards status which includes Marriott-branded VISA points, Marriott venue stays and elite-status bonus points, Marriott megabonus points, etc.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I am actually disappointed to hear that changing miles-to-points counts towards LT-status (it simply does not makes sense to me that Marriott would do this - but apparently, I guessed wrong).

I am disappointed not for those who want the points to burn but aiding someone to reach LT status. Those who have been an MRI participant since the "early days" have seen many posts go back-and-forth over the merits of "easing the qualifications to earn status" - especially when the 3M LT points was reduced to 2M for qualification, etc. Add to this easing was introducing the rollover nights program which allowed 100's of thousands of members to retain status previously unavailable when only paid nights counted toward status. Not long ago Visa grants 15 nights toward status. All of these programs make achieving status so much easier that I am surprised when someone does not have at least a Gold status.

All of these programs when introduced generated many posts on "dilution of status." I am a strong believer that when easing the qualifications thresholds waters down the value of every status tier as so many more members can now reach the upper tiers. Top statuses should be "hard to achieve" with few members actually ever qualifying. Look at all the posts by PP status members who are the top 3%'ers and yet there is virtually no difference in perceived benefits which led to many posts requesting another level (see plutonium level posts). Back in the 80s when MR was initiated, status was "hard fought and hard to achieve" and the perks between different statuses were readily and visibly differentiated. When upgrades were wished, someone with top status knew few others were competing for that upgrade and could almost assure one's self that the upgrades were virtual guarantees.

Perhaps my viewpoint is askew in that I earned my first PP status and my LT status before introduction of these programs (i.e., all via paid nights) and am jealous that my "old-fashioned" way to earn status has been usurped by easier qualifications and programs that were not available during my strive for status.