68 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2014 2:56 PM by foxglove RSS

How many of these Top 25 Landmarks in the World places have you been?

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Travelers' Choice Hotel Awards - TripAdvisor

I have been to 15 of 25 as shown below:

#1, #3, #5, #6, #7, #8, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #21, #22, #23, #25

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How many of these Top 25 Landmarks in the World places have you been?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jasper,

That is a wonderful accomplishment!

Have only been to 6!

# 5, 9,12,19,21,23!

Am surprised the Eiffel Tower is not on the list?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Good stuff jasper. The 15 of course is only the tip of the iceberg for you.

I too have only been to 6.    #5,8,9,12,20,21 .

Got a few (like Sydney) on my list, so I need to keep saving.

Let's see if we can do all 25 as a team of Insiders. Let's go Insiders, jump in and punch our team travel card.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

been to 9

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've visited 7 of them (8, 9, 12, 14, 17, 21, and 25), basically the sites in the US, Australia, the Great Wall, and the church in Russia. As I started through the list, I thought I would be lucky to find even one I have seen.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I've been to 9:

#4,5,9,12,15,16,18,19,21

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

#9 and #21... don't get out much I guess

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I've been fortunate enough to get to 6:

#9, #12, #19, #21, #22 and #23.  Not surprised that The Golden Gate Bridge shows up on just about every Insiders list.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Wow, there are some fabulous places to visit on the list.  I have only been to three: #5, #12 and #18.

erc Platinum

Ok, so we still need #10 Croatia, #11 Rangoon Myanmar, and #24 Golden Temple India.

sg1974 ask the gondolier to keep on paddling across the Adriatic

brightlybob  surely you've negotiated contracts with the Burma/Myanmar intellectual property issue

dejamo  has been at the site in India but unfortunately it was in a Hilton ashram, so that may not qualify.

Where's fschumpert and newhiltonmembr when you need them - let's go Insiders, three more and we're all eligible for the Tell Arne points and The Surprise Party contests!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

erc, thought this had been answered, but here's my list - 5, 9, 12, 18, 19, 21

dejamo Platinum

Actually Erccie.

It was a Marriott property (back in the day when I used to stay at Marriotts).

It was near the US Consulate in Anna Salai, but cant remember the name of it.......

erc Platinum

Well that's too bad, but barrpat saved us with her stay. Speaking of stays, it looks like I won't be traveling to Croatia to finish our Insider card, and courtesy of iah's good pals at UAL, I may not be traveling anywhere across the pond. Holy cow, they broke my heart this week by wiping out almost all of their miles saver awards (especially the non-stops) to Brussels, so now courtesy of pluto, I know how to get around by bus, but not how to get there. It will kill me to have to, must I say it?, buy the doggone tickets!

I had been tracking lovely, beautiful non-stop saver award flights for four weeks (waiting for my upcoming dates) only to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory (and with the US/Portugal game, it's too much man, too much), but I digress, good to hear from you dejamo .

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very impressive jasper100.  Sadly, I've been to only six (5-9-12-18-19-21).

erc Platinum

bpelican

Did you happen to notice fschumpert while you were at these spots ?

Insiders

You'll will now enjoy an erc-free time period as I adjust to the new changes on the Marriott.com reservations. Those wascally wabbits, always trying to keep us deal finders off balance, have rearranged a lot of their info (at least on my Commodore computer) such as:

Photos (now up in the name banner - good for overall feel of the property)

Maps and transportation (now in the Local Area segment - good for parking rates and airport transportation)

Fact Sheet (now in Our Hotel - good for CL or not and how many floors)

this means I'll have to postpone my VCR programming lessons and invest the time instead in learning the new matrix and all of its machinations

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Only seven (7) for me...

• 1 - Peru - Glorious....
    • 12 - see below
    • 19 - indeed, we started our honeymoon in Milan
    • 21 - but I've never nailed an iconic photo - timing is everything - but, elsewhere in town, well - San Francisco (and America's Cup)
    • And, in the close-but-no-cigar category, I'm pretty bitter about three more:
      • Argh, I was in Amman, Jordan, but had to leave the conference the day before the excursion to (13) Petra - grumble, grumble....
      • I'm a little embarrassed about 14 (the Great Wall), which I haven't seen despite four (yes, 4) trips to China, but, see Xi'an, China (including Terracotta Warriors)
      • Also, in the late 1970's, I was on my way to see 15 (Ephesus), when we were in the worst car accident I've ever been involved in - we were hit, head on, by a sand truck - and, despite having been back to Turkey twice, I haven't ever been...

IMG_9573.JPG

hi ssindc,

If you can get over the trauma of what happened, go back to Ephesus.  It is absolutely amazing!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

ProfChiara, don't worry - it's not the trauma, it's just that I haven't had the chance to get back yet... 

All things in time!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree when we got off the bus and looked down the via in Ephesus was truly amazing . also realize that 2 thousand years ago it was water front nearby now several miles away

It is probably one of the best maintained sites in the ancient world, and if you go on a tour you can visit the supposed place of the Virgin Mary's last days (if all works well the first or last photo).  The rest are of the city, including the amazing Library of Celsius, and the latrines, where slaves were sent an hour before their masters arose to warm up the pot, so to speak .100_0197_1.JPG100_0222 copy.JPG100_0229 copy.JPG100_0242 copy.JPG100_0263_1 copy.JPG100_0273 copy.JPG100_0292_1.JPG100_0321_1.JPG100_0345 copy.JPG100_0329 copy.JPG

But, prof, didn't the 1950 papal bull, "Munificentissimus Deus", decree during the 1st Vatican Council that Mary was bodily assumed into heaven, a dogma of the R.C.C. by Pope Pius XII: "that the immaculate Mother of God, Mary "Semper Virgo", when the course of her earthly life was run, was assumed in body and soul to heavenly glory." Why then the need for an earthly tomb?

Hi fschumpert,

Did I say tomb?  I meant where she is supposed to have lived the rest of her days before the Assumption.  But there's a lot of controversy and historical skepticism about any possible place because there is no evidence.  But it is not far from the Greek island of Patmos and the Cave of St John the Divine, where he wrote the Book of Revelation.

I stand corrected; you did say "last days" - perhaps she was "lifted up" outside this place? Regarding The Apostle John, tradition holds that he was buried on Patmus, but then there are some who think perhaps he was on Patmus for a while, but then died in Ephesus, I've read. And, then, there's the mysticism of the last days of the Apostle Paul, who reportedly was beheaded in Rome and his head bounced three times along the Apian Way and at each bounce a spring of water erupted. I'll stick with the unilateral authority of the Bible, rather than the "traditions of men".

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Wonderful pics Prof.

KatieC Member

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

2, 5, 12, 18, 21, 25, check.

6, 7, 10, 13, 15, 20 and 23 are high on my list.  The way things have been going lately, I hope that #13 doesn't end up like the Great Pyramids and the Nile, with uncertainty of safe travels in the unforeseeable future.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Seven for me.... #s 2,9,12,14,17,21,and 25.

I have my sights on 1,3,5,11,13,20,22, and 23.

I am interested in #1 as well, however while I would enjoy doing the historical research (presently reading a book titled, '1491,' which I started - 6 months ago ), I would want someone else to sort the travel logistics.  I am entirely unfamiliar with the area (all of SA for that matter) and it tires me just to think about working that puzzle.  This is what makes websites like Insiders so great.  We can share our work with each other.

treetree Platinum 14 Reviews

I have been to 8 of the 25...#4, #5, #9, #12, #16, #19, #20 and #21!!!!

gone2maui Platinum 4 Reviews

I have been to 8 of them.  5,9,12,18,19,21,22,23.  I didn't understand the criteria for this list and surprised that some of the iconic sites I would expect to see are missing.  There are a number listed that I would still like to see and others, not so much.  I will take the Eiffel Tower, the CN Tower, Grand Canyon, Statue of Liberty, Neuschwantstein, the Coliseum and some others I have seen over some of the top 25 listed.  They need a top 100, I guess.  Which ones do you think should have been on here?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

gonetomaui,

Agree with you!

Your Eiffel Tower and other list is for me as well.  Have been to all of those places and really don't feel "Adventuresome"  enough to ever even, want to go to some of the "Top 25"!

Looks like I will have to find a "New List"?

That's a great question, Maui.  The list appears to include only manmade structures.

I would add Tenochtitlan and Chichen Itza for starters.  Also, the Terracotta Army in Xi'an and perhaps the Forbidden City in Beijing.  There are many remarkable structures, both new and old that are not included.  The Dubai Water Fountain is a pretty amazing technological feature.  Add the manmade island Palm Juhmeira.  Mont Saint Michel.  Bodiam Castle in Sussex. St. Vitus Cathedral.

It would be interesting to know how the list was compiled.  Why for instance, did the Golden Gate Bridge make it, while other amazing bridges, like Millau Viaduct, Pont du Gard, Akashi, Øresund Bridge (Sweden), Langkawi (Malaysia, but you'll never see me on it!), and Seto not make the cut?

tplyons87 Platinum 5 Reviews

Three... the three in the US.

Gettysburg National Military Park -- as a history buff, absolutely fascinating.

Lincoln Memorial and Reflecting Pool -- once again, history buff

Golden Gate Bridge -- When in San Francisco... right?

I, too, am surprised what made the list. As much as I loved Gettysburg and try to get there every few years, I don't see how it made the Top 25 IN THE WORLD, when the Statue of Liberty is missing.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Sadly, just 12 and 25 for me... I agree with gone2maui though.  The Eiffel Tower and Colosseum should definitely be on that list, among others. 

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

All except, #6, #7, and #10.

All hail to Barrpat, who reigns supreme!  That's just astounding, BP.  I can just imagine all of the places that you've been that are NOT on the list.  (It's good to be you! )

Do you see yourself ever visiting Cambodia or Croatia?

Southeast Asia(Cambodia too) planned for 2015. Croatia will have to convince one of my girlfriends to take the journey with me as my hubby thinks he is not interested.

Both of those destinations are high on my bucket list.  How will you fly to Cambodia (which airline, port, etc.)?

Delta(transfer to Korean) into PHN. March 2015. Looking forward to the adventure. Taking a family member along who served there and finally is willing to go back and try to conquer bad memories. 

Thanks for the information, Barrpat.  Early Spring makes sense now that I think about it (to avoid the worst heat as well as typhoon season.)  I would enjoy reading a trip report after you return.  I hope you have a terrific time, and best wishes to your relative for getting those demons exorcised, and please thank him/her for me for serving our country.

hi all from athens awaiting the flight to santorini. alitalia did it again and i got about six hours of real sleep after a great meal. my favorite on the list, if i remember correctly, is #4 cordoba, hands down.  but i think they were perhaps consciously editing since the valley p'f the kings, the great sphinx, pyramids, etc did not make the list (unless i remember wrong -- working on a tablet drives me nuts even if it easier thru security.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I only got 2. And if I didn't live near SF it would have been even worse. I do a ton of travelling, but my boss tends to send me places where no one else wants to go.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Only 3 for me, 12, 14 and 21.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Wow I knew that I probably had not been to many but I have only been to two. #12 and #21.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Only two for me as well (9 and 12). But I've also stood in the jaws of the world's largest muskellunge at the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin. Now that's a landmark.

Muskie II.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...