14 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 4:58 PM by villager RSS

Reward Room upgrades

mikieg Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I’d like to get a consensus here from all of you that use Rewards for free stays. Like a lot of my compadres here, I travel a lot and use the Rewards to treat myself and family to nice, well earned vacations. The question here is whether you get an Elite room upgrade when you travel on points. My personal experience has shown overwhelmingly that when I travel on rewards, I’m just another customer getting a free room. As a general rule, my status plays no role in the room I am given and most of the time the free room that I get is typically the free room that John Q. Public would get (i.e. low floor, overlooking the dumpster). I have traveled extensively throughout Europe using points and feel I was treated just like a regular person. The only exception was a stay at the Prague Marriott where I was treated to a suite. The Paris Marriott, while a very nice property, put us in a very plain, non-view room, as was the case in Vienna, Berlin and London. Again, all very nice hotels, just run of the mill rooms for this Marriott warrior.

• Re: Reward Room upgrades
    gregwtravels Gold

I have found that I get upgrades when I travel on rewards, at least I usually get put on the conceirge floor.  A few times I have gotten upgrades to suites when using rewards.

Greg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhgrmi Gold
    I use my points for the same reason--family vacation for all the nights without me.  I have gotten some upgrades, especially when I go to the same hotel using points.  So it probably determines where you stay, because someone at the front desk assigns the rooms so if they recognize your name, they will likely be more willing to give you an upgrade.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mald77 Gold
    Oh contraire--We were upgraded at Marriott Victoria Canada (suite when King was reserved with points), Marriott Fallsview (Niagra Falls) --again an upgrade to room overlooking Horseshoe Falls--on points and Marriott Newport Coast (Marriott timeshare based on status--I was Platinum at the time)--just to name a few.

I think it depends on availability and time of check-in--I found early in the day you get things that after 5pm are not available.

My 2 cents...

ninjatraveler Gold Platinum
    I'm a plantinum member and have always gotten a room upgrade in Europe when traveling on points, but seldom receive them in the United States when paying for my room.  The perks are definitely better in Europe!

mjcas Gold 2 Reviews

I've gotten upgrades most of the time.  I believe much depends on the front desk personnel, which makes it an inconsistent practice and something Marriott should address.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Can't say that I've been upgraded on the few times I've used points since attaining Platinum. We haven't done anything extravagant. If we do, I sure would appreciate the upgrade.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Been upgraded 99% of time at domestic hotels.  Haven't used points abroad as of yet - but will be visiting the JW  on Grosvenor Sq in London soon.

Very disappointed a few weeks ago at the Atlanta Airport Marriott - not on points - and wasn't upgraded.   TINY ROOM with a broken heater.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes but what percent of the time are you upgraded to a suite?

Platinum 28 Reviews

Hey Jasper

My recent experience - when on points - upgraded to suite 50% of the time

That is not too bad of a percentage.. I find the percentage goes way up internationally and way down domestically.

djharris Platinum 1 Reviews

I am also platinum and I think the answer is it depends on a few things. 1. Location, 2. Time of year, .ie. Busy season, other stuff going on.  Conference etc.   3.  Can they get a full rate for the upgraded room/suite.  It has been hit or miss for me.

However, I do ask when I check in, if a suite or upgrade is not available, please contact me when one opens up.

john&patti Platinum 1 Reviews

We are also platinum members and have always received the upgrade at JW Marriott.

We had 8 free nights this year visiting Canada only time we had a problem was at Residence Inn by the Toronto airport when we where flying out, Not all Residence Inn's offer the upgrade but at the end of the day we got our two bedroom suite.

Congrats..sounds like you had great success in getting upgrades and I assume many suite upgrades included!!!

villager Platinum 1 Reviews

Depends completely on the property - we got a junior suite 2 years ago at the Marriott Rive Gauche in Paris (staff were great there) and a deluxe (larger) room at the Grosvenor House in London last month.  Other times and locations nothing special

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...