10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2014 12:11 PM by jackstraw22 RSS

Gold Elite bonus points

GoldenBoy Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Would Marriott Rewards kindly raise the number of bonus points that a Gold Elite member may accrue from 25% to 35%?  The disparity between Silver (20%) & Gold (25%) is only 5 percentage points, versus 50% bonus for Platinums. I also appreciate the Gold perks of free internet & breakfast!

WHat else is on YOUR wish list for future perks or benefits?  What is meaningful to you?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold Elite bonus points
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I went from Gold to Silver this year.  Yes, there is only 5% difference on bonus points, but there are other benefits to being gold.  I really appreciated the free internet (although I do think in this day and age it should be free for everyone), and lounge access, neither of which I am entitled to now.  I think those two things make a big difference between gold and silver.  I also think that if the gold bonus points were increased, that would mean the platinum members would say their differential had been diminished.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GoldenBoy Platinum

True about the points. That's only a small aspect of the overall package. Let's also not forget free UPGRADES, many times to a suite. However, I'd like to see what else people may favor!

tplyons87 Platinum 5 Reviews

I've yet to see one of these upgrades, but I guess I'll keep asking.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Great thinking GoldenBoy, no harm in asking!!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Silver Elite really is a giveaway level gifted via the 10/15 nights credit as a result of carrying the Marriott Credit Card. Although the list of benefits is long, in reality the only bits of any use are the 20% extra points and priority checkout.

Gold is where the real meat is at Marriott. The benefits list is extensive and worthwhile, most especially at FS hotels:

Free Internet

Free breakfast 7 days week

Free room upgrade

Free lounge access

The remaining Gold benefit is an extra 5% points over silver but it's almost "pointless" (it's a half point extra per $, pretty valueless really, a Gold will have to spend $10,000 at Marriott just to receive 5,000 points more than a Silver, and that 5,000 points wouldn't be enough to stay anywhere at all!) but I guess it's to throw a bone at those Golds staying at RI/SHS/FI/Resorts where if no upgrade is given the only extra benefit between Silver and Gold is free internet and at resorts, not even that!

GoldenBoy Platinum

Good point brightlybob. Is there a benefit that other chains give their Gold/Platinum equivalents that Marriott doesn't  offer?  I generally vacillate between Gold or Platinum year-to-year & have stayed with Marriott almost exclusively for about 18 years, mainly because they have such a large number of properties

tplyons87 Platinum 5 Reviews

My only ask is guaranteed parking in properties with limited parking in garages, etc.

Nothing like showing up to a property at 11:30 and being told to park on the street (metered parking) because the garage is full.

To be honest, aside from the internet, I've never noticed a difference between the Gold I have now and the Silver I used to have.

jackstraw22 Gold

I could be wrong but I seem to notice that as a Gold I get more chances for bonus points at hotels than when I was Silver.  In addition to bonus points just for spending a night or two I'm also offered 750 points per night at the higher end hotels if I refuse the breakfast option or if the lounge is closed.  I've also been offered a few hundred points here and there at the lower end hotels just for being Gold.  One hotel in Dayton had a wheel to spin for Gold/Plat. members where you could win various things from points to nothing.  I won cookies.  Strangely, I've had better room upgrades when I was a Silver than a Gold, but that could just be the hotel's preference.

GoldenBoy Platinum

Yeah, I was at the RI Las Vegas/Henderson & I won 800 points at checkin playing a game like Plinko

scladylinks Gold 3 Reviews

it seems to be an un reachable goal which only a few people can actually  reach. It actually a turn off. I have been staying more often at Starwood properties because of my frustration with Marriott rewards program. It's more bang for my buck with Starwood or Hilton.  I actually noticed different perks at different properties for Gold Elite members.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...