11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2014 10:44 PM by tker RSS

Airport Shuttles now Charging: Seattle Airport Marriott?

superchief1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have an upcoming reservation at the Seattle airport Marriott. There was a message that a $2 fee per room per ride would be charged to the room each time the airport shuttle is used. This is the first time that I have experienced a fee for riding an airport shuttle. I hope this is not a new trend for 'revenue enhancement'. It is also unclear whether 'ride' implies it will be charged per room or per person. Will the rides back to the airport require cash payment or be added after checkout?  Luckily, my stay is prior to this new fee, but I would like to learn if this is a property specific situation or growing trend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Airport Shuttles now Charging: Seattle Airport Marriott?
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

I've not yet run into such a fee, but certainly won't be surprised.  Noticed several Marriotts are no longer leaving a note pad to write on in the room, but instead a few "double" sheets for notes.  Sort of feel like they're moving in the direction of low-cost airlines: $ for ticket, $ for carry on bag, $ for a seat your body will fit in, ...

It's getting harder and harder to find high-class businesses.  Everyone's rushing to the bottom.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I too would like to know the situation and if it is property specific jmart, merb or The specified item was not found.?

I know some hotels do not offer shuttle service and you have to pay for airport shuttle. Could this be the case here with the Seattle Marriott? Is there a service but just not a Seattle Marriott specific shuttle?

jmart Member

We will absolutely look into this for you, superchief1 and madmax. As soon as we hear, we'll report back!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The SeaTac Marriott is pretty close to the airport, one could almost walk and they want $2 each way!!!

superchief1 Platinum

I think this will create a lot more work for the shuttle drivers. Now they will have to take the names of all riders. Riders to the hotel will not yet have a room number, and those returning will have already checked out. This policy will probably create more cost that it earns, and will add time to the shuttle runs as the driver completes the required paperwork. Tips for the driver will also be impacted because many will think the $2 fee covers the tip. 

jmart Member

Hi again, superchief1, madmax and IAHFLYR. I received some good information from the greater Marriott team who discovered that shuttle service fees are determined at the property level. After reaching out to The Seattle Airport Marriott, they were advised that they're outsourcing their shuttle service and will begin charging a small fee as of July 12, 2014. The $2.00 fee is charged per room, per trip. The fee will be billed to the room.

So the bad news is there will be a fee at this particular location, but the good news is that this does't appear to be a global decision and is very case by case. Hope this helps!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

thanks jmart for staying on this. I figured that is what the case was, outsourcing. That seems to be where Marriott properties differentiate most. We all appreciate you.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Let's just pray the outsourcing idea doesn't catch on Marriott wide.

superchief1 Platinum

jmart,

Thanks for the help and timely response. The website specifies the charge per 'ride' per room. Do you know whether this would apply per person? For example, if two people share a room and both 'ride' from the airport, would the charge be $2 or $4?

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

This is a hot topic on Flyertalk and whether the new $15/hour min. wage is the cause. It certainly will impact tips. The question is-will impact occupancy? A full service AIRPORT hotel needs to offer a shuttle IMHO. I have stayed here once and loved the property and service. Its the $5/$10…and now $2 that drive me crazy at properties that charge decent prices. I hope its not a trend.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...