40 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2014 11:41 AM by californian RSS

Late Check-Out, A First!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well after 30 + years, here's a first!

When I asked for a one hour extension on check-out, I was told NO!

The excuse at the RI, was people needed to be checked in?  However, this was a pathetic excuse.  No maid nor anyone came around my room before Noon!

When I expressed my displeasure to the lady at the front desk, and explained my Platinum status, and I only needed one hour, she said "Sorry".  I then explained, no problem, you will never have to worry about me asking for this again.  Will never go back!

Has anything like this happened to you?  Again, I could understand if this was a National Holiday, or some major event, but Brentwood, TN?  Sadly, I cancelled out of another property to stay there, my mistake!

Have you had a similar experience?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Brentwood, Tennessee, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Nashville Brentwood
  • Re: Late Check-Out, A First!
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That is horrendous. The fact you are Platinum and the fact it was for one hour means they really don't understand what they are doing at that property.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Not only that, but this site relies heavily on recommendations from folks like jerrycoin. It doesn't take many bad experiences being shared by MRIs to chase away a large number of us.

By the same token, good experiences encourage us to check out places suggested on this site. If it weren't for the comments by jakeal and jerrycoin, I might have never tried the fabulous Dearborn Inn.

That one hour could cost a great deal in lost revenue. Had they been accomdating, this community might have heard great things about the place and been more willing to try it. Hotel staff members might want to remember that it is not just about one guest, but about all they people that guest influences. Had they considered that, Jerry might have had a better outcome.

bejaycob,

We have met, and I have probably met more other wonderful MRI's than a lot of others.  I don't think I am "Looking for trouble in my travels, nor being difficult".

BTW, am in The Memphis Downtown RI, nice!  Last two nights, RI Huntsville, also nice.  Why something like this happens is beyond me?

You take care, and good luck on your "County Quest"!

ks77,

Thank-you!

It would be different had someone really needed the room.  When I turned in the keys, no-one was "Checking in" at the lobby!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

There has been some good information shared here and I would like to add one thing. I probably would have asked for the manager just to double check why it was so hard to get an extra hour in the room. But that's just me. I have dealt with too many CS reps who don't care about the job they are entrusted with unfortunately. That makes it even more valuable to me to recognize those that do go above and beyond because there aren't many of those left. This has nothing to do with Platinum status as I would inquire whatever status I was. This is just a courtesy of course for the hotel to do this. They don't have to follow any rules because it can be perceived as a judgement call. I have always received late check-outs when I have asked for them, but I would definitely ask for the manager if I was refused one, just to see if it was indeed the hotel or just one person who just doesn't care about people or her/his job. Okay, rant's over

madmax,

Never thought of your suggestion!  Good idea!

Actually, I was so "Stunned", I could not respond.  I must share with you, this has been a week, "To forget". 

You will laugh at this, but can you imagine what I did this week, by accident?

I dropped the bottom of my Key Fab on the parking lot of the RI.  Then, without knowing it, drove over it!  It punctured the drivers front tire, flattened the tire!  Then it took 24 hours in Huntsville to get one tire on the car!

Do NOT take my advice on anything this week!  Having a week out of "Hades"!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubled week and hoping the rest of your travels will be pleasant again just as you are.

Safe and travels from here on out  for you and Mrs. Coin.

madmax,

We are enjoying a "Glorious" day in Memphis!

The RI is superb, and getting ready to go to "Graceland" and a nice tour of Memphis!

Hope to share good pictures and experiences with all of you soon!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

sounds great Jerry. Can't wait

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You better be grilling something in Memphis rather than hanging out on Beale St.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Jerry, just be especially careful today.  Friday the 13th and a full moon!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I must agree with madmax.  I would certainly have asked for the manager.  I have been known to say on more than one occasion when I am not getting the service I think I deserve "If you cannot help me, let me talk to your manager and see if they can!"  I am not just talking about hotels, or even a face to face situation.  Anywhere where customer service matters, either in person or on the phone.  My approach usually works, and I get better service.  I am never unreasonable; I am only ever asking for the service I should be expected to receive.  I wish this sort of appraoch wasn't necessary, but unfortunately sometimes it is. 

Tommo,

Thanks for your suggestion!

Just didn't think of that at the time!  Was just "Shocked" at the response of the front desk, after my request?

Yes jerrycoin, I understand.  We all wish we had done different in certain situations after the event.  Ho Hum!

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

100% I would use the "contact us" link on the MR website. Explain your simple and reasonable request and their response. Other chains have guaranteed late checkouts for elites. Marriott chooses not too. I understand that at the timeshares and extreme circumstances, but one hour is ridiculous. My feeling is that mgmt-at the property and corporate need to know this is how Marriott's best customers are being treated.

tker,

Thanks!

This was not a "Time-share", but a RI!

I hope they will get this information from management from this format?

Understood. No excuse for an RI. I was just saying I understand that the MVCI have more stringent needs. Best of luck with a response.

tker,

Right!  "No excuse"!

That's ridiculous Jerry, especially at an RI!  I would not go back to this property either after this insult.  No Marriott guest deserves that kind of treatment, let alone one of your stature.  For what it's worth, my fellow insider, RI, Brentwood, TN, is now on my "no stay list."

We have always been granted a late checkout, usually one-hour, at all Marriott properties.  Even at the MVC properties it has been no problem until a few weeks ago at the MVC Crystal Shores, Marco Island, FL, property.  They said someone was waiting for the room.  At 10:00 AM?  Very doubtful as most of the time you cannot check in until after 3:00 PM.  The General Manager was off site so I couldn't get to him, but I let them know that we would not be returning there ever!  They did not seem to mind although we are Premier Plus status in the MVC.  I did let Marriott Corporate know about this incident.

bpelican,

Agree with you!

That is kind of you to indicate "Stature", but I really never ask for much of anything at any properties.  I really try to be sincere with the staff, but even when I discussed this situation, "Face to Face", she was not "Budging"!

didatatraveler Member 1 Reviews

Thanks for sharing this -- I have only asked once, in all my years of travel, and (it was in Australia) was immediately accepted. I probably would have asked for the manager, but then again I would have been like you and totally taken back.

didatatraveler,

Your "Batting average", is now better than mine at getting a "Late Check-out"!

Hello everyone!

So sorry this has got this much "Press"!

I am no "Saint", nor should be compared with anyone that is!

The real thing that irritated me was the "Hardship" on my wife!  I changed the place she wanted to stay, and I had "Egg" on my face!

Will never go back, but have no "Malice" toward any of you! 

I just made a mistake when picking places to stay!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Only 7/8 years as Plat/Gold, but like Jerry never been refused a late checkout, though I seldom ask, most times I'm out and on my way by 9am... Even so, I once asked for, and was given a 6 hour extension!

To be honest, this is a low hanging fruit for Marriott, since it's done so often, why not make a 1 or 2 hour late checkout an addition to the benefits? It would be well received and in my experience it's easily delivered.

Doesn't  SPG offer a My24 benefit to its plats, namely you're guaranteed a minimum room occupation of 24 hours after checkin? Mind you the SPG program is focused on benefits more than points, not sure I'd want the SPG pointearning ratio!

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Was your stay last week?  I was in Nashville last week and there were a lot of events going on.  The Country Music Festival.  Vanderbilt graduation.  There was another big event that I can't remember going on as well.  All the hotels were booked solid and they had all kinds of people and businesses coming in for the event, to setup for the event, etc.

The front desk might have been told that they could not extend late checkout to any guests.  I've been to hotels when major events were going on and they had a sign at the front desk clearly stating that late checkout could not be granted.  They even slipped a paper under the door the night before checkout reminding guests of this.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

yes marriottmemberfromla, that is what we are used to with Marriotts for the most part, customer friendly service. Just knowing that there is a reason for the things they do is helpful. I appreciate your comments. Most of the time when I have asked for late checkout for whatever reason, it has been 2-3 hours and I have always been granted it. Most of those were at overseas properties where I was flying red-eye out and so was able to stay in the room and rest until time to head for the airport. So nice in those cases.

Interesting tangential experience this week.  We have had a new grand baby join us this week. YAY! Our daughter's family lives in Fayetteville, NC. We are staying with them for the week. I needed to stay at a local hotel 2 nights to be able to get some work done. We have several cat 4 and 5 certs I thought I would use. Easy in Fayetteville. Always has been in the past. However, this week no award availability. SUPER high rates. Made no sense. Why? I called one of the properties. The US Open is being played about 90 mins. west of here. They are under a special event umbrella for the week. Not good news for me-but delivered the message in a polite informative way.

tker,

Congratulations on the Grand Baby......you're about the fourth Insider to have a Grandchild born recently.....great news!

Ahhh Fayetteville, my home while in the U.S. Army at Simmons Army Airfield.  I can't imagine the place now some 40 years later.

Thank you! My son is in the 82nd Airborne. He was almost deployed for the birth. Its a sprawling city now. Nothing is tall, but everything is here. Just spread out.

A great unit for sure is the 82nd, please send our congrats to Mom and Dad, and thank them both for their service to the U.S.A.

Will do. Thank you!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

To everyone,

I appreciate marriottmemberfromla's excellent point about being aware of the occupancy circumstances in terms of setting appropriate expectations.  I also appreciate how we can share both our travel triumphs and disappointments here on Insiders.

The various Marriott rewards program elite benefits mean different things to each of us, as expressed in this good discussion thread: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/104998#104998.  I can understand how important a specific benefit (even one not guaranteed) can be to some.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I will throw in my two cents...If the same thing happened to me, I would never go back to that property again  . There is no reason to treat a Platinum member like that. We deserve better than that!

Jasper,

Thank-you for your comment!  Totally agree, and as I told the front desk clerk, "Take a good look at me, because you will never have me ask for anything here again"!

I would sleep in the car before subjecting myself to that arrogance and indifference!

I'm with you jasper100 totally.  They don't get a second chance to insult me!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Jerry,

As a gold, not even higher, Starwood will guarantee a 10am check in if I ask and a 4pm check out if I ask.  Marriott will only take requests and never guarantee.  There is no way that a maid can enter every room at checkout time and have them all cleaned in a period of time.  A CY gave me time stating that he had to because of my elite status but let me know how this was not easy and I must make sure that I am out by the given time because they were full that night.

This is a sore spot for many of us. 

californian,

Thanks for the information!  Did not know this.  However, I have great status with most of the hotel chains and will check this out in the future.

Again, it's not about me, but when we as travelers get our "Loved ones" involved, and effected, that's a different subject

californian What you say about the maids going into all rooms at checkout time is true, but it doesn't really work like that.  I know the GM of a Marriott in the UK quite well, and have had this sort of discussion with him.  Basically, it is all down to good management.  In any hotel, the guests check out at varying times.  So the maids can usually start after breakfast, when a number of guests check out if they are leaving, or go out for the day.  If the maids schedule is co-ordinated with the front desk check outs, many rooms can be be completed before the last time for normal checkout.  Also, many new arrivals do not arrive dead on check-in time.  If, for instance, it is known that a party taking 10 rooms are not arriving until several hours after check in time, their rooms can be left until last.  The GM I know says that some head housekeepers in the industry are rigid in that they have the maid doing certain rooms each in strict order.  But if there is flexibility it is rare that rooms are not ready when guests check in, or conversely it should be perfectly possible to allow a late check out.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I think you are right.  The rooms are assigned ahead of time before they know who will checkout when.  The maids are assigned a list of rooms to clean with an order so if we put requests in for early or late check out, some are not flexible and won't honor our requests.

So much for putting the guest first.

Thanks for agreeing.  As I said, it is because I know a GM quite well.  But he makes sure the customer is put first - which is always a good starting point!  The problem is that some hotel management say "it can't be done" whereas others say "how can we make this work".  Things may not always go totally right with the latter, but at least they try to accomodate the customer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...