22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2015 1:58 AM by jm1991 RSS

Rewards Points with Hertz

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I got a promo email not too long ago quoting

travel further this year. Marriott Rewards® members can receive up to 35% off Hertz rental rates and earn up to 5,000 Marriott Rewards points. This offer is good on rentals picked up through October 31, 2014 at participating airport and off airport locations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Australia and New Zealand:
2,000 points for 2- to 4-day rentals
5,000 points for rentals of 5 days or more

So i made my reservation for 5 days meaning i would be getting 5k points. The total for the reservation is 260 (damn undeage fees). But my question is, will i bereceiving the 5k points only or does Hertz offer additional points based on the price ill pay? i have never rented with hertz before, i usually do Budget.

Also, when reserving it did say discount: Marriott Rewards but i did not see anywhere to put in my number. I really hope it can be done at the counter. I did it through the email link they provided and made sure the coupon code and PC were put in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rewards Points with Hertz
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jm1991,

You may want to log into your Hertz account and make sure you add your Marriott Rewards number to your Hertz profile. That way they should be able to credit your Marriott account with the additional points.  On a side note if you have a membership with AAA you may also want to check the Hertz rates using the AAA discount.  Most of the time I have found the AAA rates for Hertz are less than the other promotional offers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i made the reservation as a guest though :/ i went ahead and made a hertz account and set my preference to marriott. Are they able to add the account# at the counter? i would call but they are closed at the moment.

If it was me I would try to make the reservation again under the Hertz account that you created with your Marriott information provided the rate you originally booked is the same or less and then cancel the original reservation.  If the rate has increased then you may want to call Hertz customer service and see if they can link your orginial confirmation to your Hertz account.  

Good Luck!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I did what you recommended and should be good now with no worries ^_^ do you know how many points per dollar i get with hertz? or is it a fixed amount per rental? using the marriott card i should be able to cash in on a good amount for the trip.

jm1991,

I think typically you would earn 500 Marriott Points per Rental at Hertz unless there is a special promotion like the one you found for 5,000 points for a 5+ day rental.  Your Marriott Credit Card should get you 2 points per dollar.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Wonderful advice vaboywnder

I'm sitting here looking at this very promotion and am thinking of changing my seven day rental for our upcoming trip to Italy from Avis to Hertz just to take advantage of the extra points.  When I got the promo in the mail I checked the rates and Avis was slightly lower in total cost so the extra points didn't matter.  However; I checked Avis again yesterday and the rate was even lower, did not check Hertz again so I will do that now and might be cancelling the Avis reservation in favor of Hertz. 

Since I'm no longer an Avis First person I don't get all those offers so why be so loyal, free agency as our pal erc reminds us all of from time to time.

panusr Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree. Anytime I participate in a promotion like Hertz double-point offers for example, and my reservation does not mention anything about the promotion on the confirmation page, I usually make a call into headquarters to verify that everything is set. Too many times have I registered for a promotion, completed all requirements, only to find out that my registration "got lost".

jm1991,

The promotion I'm looking at with Hertz is good until December 31, 2014.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

5000 points does make one take a second look at Hertz. I usually base my decision on price (among the major brands). I might be willing to pay a small premium in order to earn the points (It would cost ~$65 to buy 5000 MR points).

Speaking of Hertz, is it worth signing up for the Hertz #1 Gold (complimentary with MR Gold or higher). What sorts of benefits come with such a membership?

Message was edited by: bejacob

bejacob,

I know nothing about the Gold Club, but will look into it today.  My guess is it's somewhat similar to Avis Preferred,

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I have used Hertz many times since cc members are automatically Gold members. The price is somewhat higher than the budget dealers but what I like about them is there is no hidden fees like the budgeters like to hide until you give them your cc and when you get to your destination, the car is ready with the keys in it and all you have to do is drive it off the lot. When you bring it back, no hassle there either and you don't have to wait for an hour until they go through the seat cushions and under the floor mats.

I like renting from Hertz as they are reliable and have a nice rewards program as far as car rentals go.  The Hertz Gold Membership is nice as it can save you a lot of time.  I signed up for their text alert option which means whenever I turn my phone on after arriving at my destination airport I receive a text message which tells me what car has been selected for me and which stall it is located in.  This way you can bypass the rental counter and don't have to find your name on display board.

The downside to renting from Hertz is that the majority of the time their prices are much higher than other rental car companies.  If you decide to rent from Hertz to get the extra 5,000 Marriott Rewards Points you may also want to check other car rental agency prices and see if there is much more difference in price.  The additional cost of renting from Hertz maybe much more than the value of the extra Marriott Rewards Points.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

true vaboywnder.   Sometimes convenience such as having the car ready and no hassles or added fees(and yes I have the text alert and it is awesome)  is well worth the difference in cost I have noticed with other providers I have used.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Good points. After even a short flight, I just want to get out of the airport and into my car. Anything that can shorten that time is good in my opinion.

I'll definitely do a cost benefit analysis (uh oh, my accountant side is showing again). It wouldn't make sense to spend an extra $100 just to earn the reward points.

vaboywnder,

I get the same message from Avis when I land, it is nice to get yet I still find myself wandering by the Preferred Board and verify the space the car is located, guess it's that Neanderthal in me. 

I rechecked the car rates for our Italy trip yesterday and the Hertz price is not about $150 less for the time we will have it, so I am going to sign up for Hertz Gold and then reserve the Punto. If the price was equal to or slightly higher I'd probably still do Hertz in order to scrape up the points.

IAHFLYR,

That's good to know that Avis has that feature.  I'll definitely keep that in mind.  When it comes to leisure travel I find I have no real loyalty to car rental companies.  I usually rent from any of the major car rental agencies that have the best price but as bejacob   mentioned its good to do a cost benefit analysis.  It Hertz is only a few dollars more and wants to give me 5,000 extra Marriott points then its a no brainer.  Lately I've been having good luck with Thrifty which is now owned by Hertz.  In most markets Thrifty prices are really good and their Blue Chip program offers many of the same benefits as Hertz Gold minus the text messages.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

another thing I just remembered is Hertz has FORDS! That's my kind of rental company. My work corporate card is hooked to Thrifty with discounts so I use them when travelling for work if I need a car, but the service is much better with Hertz even though they own them now.

I have quite a few discount codes for Avis and that does help when we rent.  I still know the government rate code, hmmmmm.   I love my Avis First status this year since I didn't have enough "qualifying rentals" what ever that means.  Avis has been very very good to me for a long time and even in a foreign county it takes me about a minute to get the car. 

I just signed up for Hertz Gold and made a reservation in Ft. Myers for next month so I'll have to go to the counter to get my DL and CC verified, that could be a tactile error as my flight arrives at 6 PM.  Nah, there are not that many people who want to go to Ft. Myers on a Monday evening in July.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

This was actually one of the two off airport car rentals that i found. There are several companies but i would have had to pick up at the airport and the rates were much higher. So this particular location was the cheapest so im happy with that. sucks that theres no thrifty or budget locations off the airport.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Thanks for filling me in on Hertz Gold.  I'm going to Florida in July and am looking for a car rental.  If Hertz is a pretty good rate, then I'll book with them after I sign up for gold!

jl3549 Platinum

I just completed a rental with the same promo, how long did it take you to get your 5,000 points?  I've been 8 days now.

Thanks

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i think it took like 2 weeks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...