5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2014 10:23 AM by brightlybob RSS

Platinum Elite Life

eclark9651 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone received Platinum Life Status at one time a several years later been reverted to another level? I got a letter back in 2009/10 same I had achieved Elite Status and got a Platinum Life Card.The last year I got a Platinum Card with an expiration date.Now it is saying I'm Gold and have to achieve nights to maintain my status. I have 850 nights lifetime. Ay similar experience_

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Elite Life
    shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I Would suggest a call to the Rewards hotline but in 2009/10 Lifetime Platinum required 1000 nights.  While you exceed 750 nights as currently required perhaps you have not accumulated 2 million points.   Just a guess but I am sure Marriott will have the answer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews

I would call, Lifetime Status should be honored unless there has been a merger or a bankruptcy.  Fortunately, Marriott has had neither...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've been a member of MR for 7 or 8 years now and heard of the lifetime scheme 4 or 5 years ago, at that point the lifetime platinum requirements were:

a) 12 years membership of MR, at least one of which must have been at plat; and

b) 1000 lifetime nights credit; and

c) 3,000,000 lifetime points earned.

This was a very (very) tough criteria for most members to meet, especially the points which meant those achieving LTP would have spent well over $200,000. It was difficult to see many ordinary plats having mixed their stays between FFI, CY and FS managing to spend that kind of cash. I remember the LT scheme being of no interest to me whatsoever, the targets were crazy.

The criteria was reduced in 2010 when the required lifetime points were reduced to 2,000,000, which gave those staying in cheaper hotels a realistic chance of getting there.

In 2013 Marriott announced a major overhaul easing the criteria:

a) 750 lifetime nights credit; and

b) 2,000,000 lifetime points earned.

Simple maths suggests that Marriott decided to fix lifetime at 10 years a plat, hence the 750 nights. Taking into account bonuses and the plat extra points this probably represents $100,000 spent, or an average of $130 per night. Certainly achievable to the mixed brand plat, probably difficult though for "FairfieldMan", mind you, even the cheap staying plat can  make these criteria, eventually.

However eclark9651 as you've only now got 850 nights it's certainly the case you didn't achieve the criteria in 2009/10, which was 1000 nights. It's also really unlikely you'd accumulated the 3,000,000 points necessary at that time. Sounds to me like you received the LTP card in error. Of course you've now done the nights, under the eased 2013 criteria,  so all you need to do is check the points. If you ring MR elite line they can email you your lifetime point tally which will show how close you are...

jmart Member

eclark9651 Good morning! Let us know if you've had a chance to reach out to the Marriott Rewards team. If not, I'd be happy to look into this for you. If that's helpful to you, just send me a private email with your Rewards number. And thanks to brightlybob for such a thorough rundown of the requirements!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, I had a look at my LT info a few weeks ago and found I'm only 50 nights and 100k points short of LTGold, which is quite a nice position to be in as over the years travel has varied and on at least 3 occasions I've had trouble making 50 nights, even though I have the CC. Whilst Plat is nice, I really wouldn't want to lose Gold, so I'm certainly happy with the LT requirements.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...