10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2014 11:43 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Remembrance, Heroism and Thanks - D Day

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I would like to thank all of you who have served our country in wars past and present.  As I watched the ceremonies in Normandy early this morning I was struck by the incredible selflessness and heroism of that one day in history.  Strangely, I realized my beloved cat was born 5 years ago today on the 65th anniversary.  So we had a double celebration.

This may be the last time for veterans of the "Great War" to return to Normandy, though I hope many have years to live and serve as examples to all of us.

Some have questioned my patriotism because I have not supported all wars our country has fought.  But that is what is so great about our country -- we have the freedom and liberty to voice our opinions and even dissent, which few other countries in the world can claim.  Our Constitution is an amazing document that guarantees our rights and liberties against the tyranny we faced in the 18th C (I didn't -- my ancestors were still in Switzerland till 1913).  Long live the US and the men and women who receive little attention for their extraordinary service.

Thank you all!
ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, Missouri, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard St. Louis Downtown
  • Re: Remembrance, Heroism and Thanks - D Day
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Well put!

Thanks for the post!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Prof,

As a veteran that didn't have to go to war I thank you for your post.  We live in the most wonderful country even with all it's faults of this day and I am so grateful each day for being able to live here.

Thanks so much for sharing this day.

Hi IAHFLYR,

Thanks to you and all of our veterans who have served.  Especially nowadays, when so few people do so, it is important to remember always.  Let's just hope they get the VA system fixed!

Best, ProfChiara

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

image.jpgimage.jpg

Professor, quality sentiments for such a special and important day in history.  I wish I could've watched the ceremonies.  Very thankful for all Allied service persons who gave their ultimate all that day and during the war to save Europe and beyond.  Please permit me to share a couple of photos from a similarly special day two weeks ago while in San Diego.  We drove out to Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery at Point Loma, a special place.

Love those pics pluto77.  You're so right the allied service people are often forgotten and without them we'd have been in some deep doo doo for sure.

And let's not forget the women in the US and Queen Elizabeth and many others in England who also served in the war and at home, and in the process, changed history.

profchiara,

Yes, let us pray the system gets fixed quickly as we have many Iraq and Afghanistan vets that need the VA system to work for them.

Along the same lines as pluto77, a few years back my wife and I were in Portland, Oregon, and went to the Willamette National Cemetery to find her Fathers grave sight on Memorial Day.  It was amazing to see all the flags at each grave site which put a big lump in our throats as well as a huge amount of pride in our country.  The sight gave us both huge tears in our eyes even before we found her Dad.

S3600045.JPG

I will never forget 11th grade in high school (1969) when our class trip was to DC and we visited Arlington.  It was an overwhelming experience, mostly because of its simplicity.  No grand monuments, but simple crosses.  I remember thinking about it the whole way back to suburban Philly.

While I do believe there should always be discussion about going to war and sending our men and women to battlefields, I will always support them once the decision has been made.

Hail to all our heroes!

ProfChiara

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IMG_1993.JPG

Jefferson Barracks, St Louis, another wonderful tribute to our brave Veterans!

Location Brand Hotel
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard St. Louis Downtown

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...