37 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2015 10:58 PM by ppino69 RSS

United Reveals MileagePlus Program 2015

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For those of you looking to build your miles and status with United you may find this interesting:

United Continental Holdings, Inc. - Investor Relations - News

So glad I'm not looking to hold any status on them, burn the miles is my motto.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: United Reveals MileagePlus Program 2015
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

This will probably be the "Wave" of the future for not just airlines, but all programs?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I concur with jerry. Take what you can get in the offerings and be   ,,

Exactly what I'm doing, only buying tickets when I am not able to justify the miles to get award travel or they are not available and we just have to go.

erc Platinum

IAHFLYR - thanks for sharing

I tend to agree with you - the future is now. Short, inexpensive (although getting hard to snag) flights for me to Chicago, Boston, Buffalo etc. still remain competitive in earning miles, and of course I will always choose dollars over miles, it's the $350 or less fares (diminishing, but still occasional) to the west coast where I'll lose value. The Marriott/United Silver status will actual provide a value (the 7 mile multiplier vs. 5), so my cynical mindset tells me that it probably won't be extended.

As long as they don't raise the award schedule any higher, this move actually makes the credit card mile relatively more valuable (and that seems a reasonable reality since most all companies continue to aggressively push card membership due to the lucrative remuneration from the cards to the companies).

Summary:

1) follow our Insiders motto; Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome

2) Move more toward free agency, 'protecting ourselves at all times'

3) Share, share, share - it's us vs. them, hang together or hang alone - Go Insiders

4) Madmax's attitude is the way to play - may these be our biggest problems in life

Hup, hup ballgame - Go man go - win one for the Gipper etc etc (just don't run into a locker)

Your summary is spot on erc,  Since we do west coast a few times a year (less this year to remodel bathrooms) the reasonably priced tickets are normally in the $600-$800 range depending on how far in advance you purchase, value will not be good.  East coast is slightly lower depending on the city....but yes, share share and share more.

Looks like Wall Street isn't too enthusiastic with the 2015 MileagePlus concept.

UAL

(NYSE)

Price:

$45.17

Change:

Stock is Down 2.59 (5.42%)

Volume:

Just the other day stock was nearing $50.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

So you can earn a maximum of 75,000 miles per ticket?  So if anyone above Silver decides to buy a $10,000 RT FC ticket, they won't get all the miles that they should... I take it United doesn't want encourage customers to be loyal and reward them for being loyal?... especially it's "most valuable" customers.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

kharada46  My family friendly vocabulary says its because Jeff Smisek is a dummy.

tplyons87 I understand what you mean. I too am about 20 mins from EWR. I used to fly United to ORD pretty often and yes you just come to expect their delayed flights, lousy service, and being stuffted into a standard econ seat. If you get lucky, you can fly out of Terminal C and actually have a few food offerings and stores to kill time while waiting for your flight. On the other hand, if you are like me going to ORD, you are usually flying United Express and are flying out of terminal A which is horrendous. An old, cramped, run down, dump of a terminal with basically no food or stores after security.

tplyons87 and ks77,

I'm 22 minutes from IAH and thankfully because the airport is so friggin huge with plenty of runways we don't usually get delayed, well unless the thunderstorms come a knockin. However; UA and loyalty doesn't even go in the same room let alone sentence.  When I was a 1K they did nothing for me other than once re-book us on an international flight since our EWR connection (go figure) was delayed arriving into EWR, but since we were in Biz First that was the actual reason they did it, status had nothing to do with it.  I have a friend who has been Global Services for a couple of years and gets treated like a homeless person by them.  kharada46 has me just about ready to try AA through DFW and if I had my way I'd take the pluto77 advice and fly AS to SEA and then connect back to maybe the east coast.

Nope, not a fan and then we can start to talk about the Brain Surgeon (Jethro Bodine) Jeffy Slimezek and his circus of clowns that are going to drain some $6,000,000 plus they have on hand in cash by not focusing on operational issues that have plagued them since this merger of equals (NOT).

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I say go for it. AA is good. I am gold and the wife is Plat. She gets good treatment from GAs and when she calls the Platinum line. She runs into the same issues as everyone else regarding delays and all that but the service she gets seems to be good. She also gets access to MCE with no upcharge which is good. The 500 mile upgrade system is okay I guess, you would think it would be great to have free upgrades based on status like United but it isn't because unless you are GS or 1K you have NO shot at getting upgraded. (Okay okay if you fly on a tuesday 1PM flight from EWR to DTW and the flight has FC, okay then maybe you will get it. With AA you have decent upgrade chances even going ORD to EWR and LGA.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I would completely agree with ks77.  Go for it.  You are fortunate that AA flies IAH-DFW every day, all day long for a really great price point.  Of course you'll be flying a Super 80 (or occasionally a B738 - welcome to my world), so if you're a plane snob, well, hmmm...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

II believe this is a direct result of all the mergers . You now have three major international US airlines and they all will have the same FF program that will focus on full fare business travelers and will continue to raise fares and cut flights until smaller airlines grow by expanding their networks like Southwest and America West did in the 80's and 90's . I haven't seen this as much in the hotel side but maybe Jerry Coin is right its just a matter of time . I for one now that I don't travel as much gravitate to Southwest no baggage or change fees . by the way still no recognition out of US Air on my achieving    2m lifetime(real miles) in January

jerryl, (I got a little lost), what is a direct result of all of the mergers?

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

At least that won't be for too much longer. In 2008 they had 330 MD-80s. With the 737 taking over the fleet the count of MD-80s is now around 160 and fewer than 140 by the end of this year. They will be completely phased out by 2018.

http://res.dallasnews.com/interactives/2014_May/md80/

ks77,

That was a very nice article.  Thanks for sharing the link.  I don't mind the MD-80's at all (except to say that I might feel a wee bit safer in newer planes of course, but which is probably slightly silly since I'm reasonably sure that they're all safe anyway, else I wouldn't fly).  I like sitting on the 2 seat side of the aisle (I am now accustomed to purchasing the extra legroom on any aircraft that offers it), and I find the f/c cabin to be perfectly acceptable.  After all, I mostly fly Q400's and single class cabin CRJ7's, so an MD-80 is a step up (cabin wise).  It seems a bit strange to retire a perfectly good aircraft, but I guess it would be a kin to getting rid of a perfectly functional, but aging refrigerator at the point when a new one would be more cost effective to operate.  I was really just teasing our Bub the consummate Boeing Fan from North of Houston.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Aside from the additional maintenance and overhaul costs, I think the real driver is fuel consumption. Those old engines simply burn way more fuel than the 737-800s replacing them. I don't see cheap fuel prices coming anytime soon so they are simply going for efficiency and cost.

Of course the 80's used to be very efficient on fuel when compared to the DC9 and B727, but even today they probably burn about 1,000 pounds more/hour than a 738 which at the end of the day is significant for sure.

ks77, you are so right......"if it ain't Boeing I ain't going"!  Unless of course it is the lesser of two evils, UA or Airbus-ted.

You know I'm an airplane snob!!!

I really don't mind the 80's as long as it's Row 1-4 period.  And unless they've changed just about every flight should be an 80 between the city to the north and IAH.

They are scheduling a few B738's on that route now.   (Row 6, baby.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

IAHFLYR, I say GO FOR IT!    Just don't forget, if traveling to Asia, fly Hawaiian so you can get a free stopover in HNL  

I believe you could even fly out of Dallas on a Hawaiian ticket since they codeshare with VX!  Oh, and Hawaiian is still civilized.  Free meals and a free dose of medicine with your meal for all steerage class passengers!

tplyons87 Platinum 5 Reviews

While my MileagePlus account tells me I'm loyal to United, I've seen nothing that shows that they're loyal to me.

Same garbage service, same late flights. I only fly United because I'm 20 minutes from EWR and it's convenient.

At least they're consistent. I know I'm going to be stuffed in seat 18F, treated like luggage, and delayed about an hour.

Sure beats the cattle call boarding that Southwest does though!

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Gosh, just completed a trip to my favorite city, Washington DC.  Four segments on United, three upgrades cleared, the other one just missed; one person ahead of me.  About an hour late arriving into DCA on Saturday, really bad thunderstorm, lightning, etc. departing ORD, only one runway open.  Yesterday, all on time.  Wonderful service, friendly flight attendants, I guess I must be lucky.

Hope you all have a great day!!

Only one runway at ORD open out of eight?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

That's what the pilot told us and I had no reason to doubt him; I could barely see out the window as the rain came down in sheets, the lightning flashed and the thunder rumbled as that pesky thunder does from time to time.  He also said we were on the one that was open and were number 2 for take-off.  So I sat back, relaxed, and smiled in anticipation of a nice cold glass of wine once we got airborne.  The only negative to that trip is we landed to the north at DCA, that darned United.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

There has been a torrent of discussion on this on Flyer Talk. About 2 to 1 negative. Me, I'm going to score more MP under the new program because I fly on high value tickets (Thanks, boss). So I love it.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

As a budget traveler, the new mileage calculations are a killer.

I scored a great fare from Columbus to Sacramento earlier this month. Total miles flown 4,878. Under the old scheme, I would have earned my base miles plus a 25% bonus for my status (just over 6,000 miles).

What I earned based on the new price-based scheme was 1,316 miles.

That's almost the same as I can earn on a cheap RT fare from CMH to ORD. I don't plan to look for higher priced tickets just to earn miles, so I'll be better off taking short flights on UA and flying cross country on AA or DL while earning actual miles flown on AS (even better would be if AS started flying out of CMH ).

This really takes the shine off Silver Premier status. Now that mileage earning potential has been practically destroyed, the only worthwhile benefit of the Marriott-United partnership is the possibility of upgrades.

bejacob,

That sure seems low even with a low fare, hmmmm.

We each got nearly 7,300 miles after March 1, 2015, for IAH-PDX-IAH which is actually only 1825 miles each way. Granted I get the Gold bonus which is 2X more than a Silver however, base miles plus bonus miles plus dollar you should still have way more than what you got.

Airline activity
      Award miles
      Premier qualification
      DateBase MilesBonus MilesTotal MilesMilesSegmentsDollars
      3/11/20151,9601,1763,1362,7381.5$392

So how this is all computed I've yet to fully figure out, used to have the old system down perfectly so me think I've a homework assignment to complete.

I think the only airline out of the big four that doesn't use a fare based miles is AA , I bet that's coming. Focus is on companies that allow full fare coach and fully refundable fares

Here's my activity.

UA miles.PNG

After removing taxes and fees, I paid $188 RT (can't complain about the price ). With 7 miles per dollar, 1,316 is all I'm eligible for these days. I grabbed the fare because it was too good to pass up. I knew the mileage calculations were changing, but it was a bit shocking to see by how much.

I'll stick with my bargain basement price strategy and earn whatever miles I can (on whatever airline I can). I'm clearly not the kind of traveler UA is seeking. That's fine with me. I'll fly with them when it suits, but there is no incentive for me to be loyal to them (funny, I thought that was the purpose of loyalty programs ). Fortunately, I don't feel that way about my hotel chain of choice.

yes those paying full fare is where the loyalty rests

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

"So how this is all computed I've yet to fully figure out..."

It's called "matrix creep." Be afraid. Be very afraid.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

bejacob - have you considered crediting your UA flights to a partner airline? 

I haven't but it might be something to investigate (I'd have to see who they partner with). Alaska still uses the old way of calculating miles and since they partner with both Delta and American, I'll probably fly those two a bit more at least for longer flights. The new mileage calculation makes UA less appealing. I'll probably still fly them when the price and schedule makes sense.

The change in mileage calculation on UA essentially negates having Silver Premier status with them versus having no status with the other airlines. If it weren't for the ability to upgrade to Economy Plus or occasionally FC, I probably would be spending all my air travel dollars with AS (when possible) or partners like DL and AA. Had they kept the old method, the Silver Premier status would have encouraged me to shift most of my travel to UA. Now it's a effectively a tossup.

gascan328 Platinum 1 Reviews

Ever since UA combined with Continental, MileagePlus has been very disappointing...

Don't blame that on Continental, OnePass was a wonderful program that rarely ever saw changes particularly that lowered the value of the program.

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have been a loyal United flyer since 1984..I will go out of my way to fly United from Philadelphia..even though more direct flights might be available..the same way most of us will go out of our way to stay with Marriott..UA is just comfortable for me and Im staying with them!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...