8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2014 6:41 AM by kharada46 RSS

Honeymoon Options

mbrubaker23 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be getting married in the next year and my fiance and I have been looking into Marriott properties all over the world for our honeymoon.

We are looking to stay for about 2 weeks and stay with points as I have around 600,000 accumulated.  We would like to leave the U.S.  Our 1st option we would like to go is the Maldives, but it doesn't seem like Marriott has property there.  They are in the process of building a Ritz and it will be ready sometime in 2015 (which would be cutting it close on planning for us).

Can anyone offer up some good beach resort type suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Phuket, Thailand
Hawaii, USA
Carribean
Maldives
Victoria, SEYCHELLES
Cap d'Ail, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco
  • Re: Honeymoon Options
    jmart Member

Congratulations, mbrubaker23! As much fun as the wedding is, the honeymoon is sooooo much fun to plan. I'm sure there will be great advice here from many MRIs, and I also wanted to point you to a few other resources. There are some past discussions you might find helpful:

Re: April/May Honeymoon Advice

Recommendations for honeymoon beach properties?

Honeymoon advice?

Honeymoon Help

Honeymoon

You might also want to peruse the specific properties outside the U.S. on the Marriott site here:

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/caribbean.hotels/

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/costa-rica.hotels/

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/australia.hotels/

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/south-america.hotels/

What time of year will you be traveling?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mbrubaker23 Platinum

Hi jmart,

We will be traveling towards the end of June next year.

We've looked into some resorts in Phuket, Thailand as well, but have heard that that is there rainy season.  Has anyone visited there towards the end of June?

Thanks.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

If you're staying stateside, would recommend either Hilton Head Marriott Hotel & Resort,or Harbor Club, or Myrtle Beach Grande Dunes Ocean Watch Hotel; if on West Coast, Marriott at Newport BeachHilton Head - 2013 004.jpg

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

mbrubaker23,

Consider Monte Carlo!

Monaco, is a great place to travel out of!  The beaches are not the best in the World, but you have so many places you can enjoy nearby.  Nice, St. Tro. and many others make this a wonderful location for a honeymoon!

Congratulations, and hope wherever you go you have a wonderful time!

FH050017.jpg

The Marriott in Cap d'Al, Monte Carlo!

FH060017.jpg

View from room at Marriott!

Have a wonderful time!

Location Brand Hotel
    Cap d'Ail, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

If you want one of the most romantic places in the world, yet not on the beach, we recently celebrated our 50th anniversary at the Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa, south of Florence, Italy - http://www.renaissancetuscany.com  - Great location in the mountains, fine food and service

50th Anniversary Trip 019.jpg

Afterward, we drove to Cannes, on coast of France, near Nice and stayed at JW Marriott, and spent time in Antibes

69260001.JPG

jmart Member

jerrycoin and fschumpert: these are amazing suggestions, and perfect for end of June (IMO). I LOVE that part of the world. In fact, I was there for a friend's wedding many years ago and my husband (boyfriend at the time) proposed to me the next day in a wonderful, small town (St. Remy de Provence). We had a fabulous 10 days driving all along the coast, spending time in Antibes, Monaco, Eze, St. Paul de Vence. Wow - this is a perfect suggestion. And Italy is so close (that Tuscany photo is so enticing!)

Happy golden Anniversary, fschumpert!!! Quite an accomplishment. I hope you had an amazing trip.

mbrubaker23: I look forward to hearing how the decision process is going.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jmart,

Thank-you!

There are a lot of wonderful places to go on a Honeymoon, but these listed are pretty special!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Congrats mbrubaker23!

I just got married last August and went on my honeymoon in November.  Since you would like to go to the Maldives, I assume you want a tropical/beach destination?  If so, I'd like to recommend Hawaii!  It is my home, so perhaps I'm a little biased, but it's different enough from the lower 48 to feel like you're out of country (somewhat).  Not only that, but each island has its own feel. 

Oahu, as you probably already know, is very urban.  That's not to say it's one big city, but the island is highly developed.  The good and bad are tons of choices for shopping and dining, there's a lot of history here (royal palaces, WWII, etc).  On the flip side, traffic is an issue, there's definitely a more rushed pace (by local standards) and the crowds in Waikiki can be unpleasant.  Marriott properties on Oahu are:  JW Marriott Ihilani (Ko Olina), Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club (MVC Ko Olina), Waikiki Beach Marriott, and the Courtyard Waikiki Beach Marriott.  A Ritz-Carlton Residence is under construction in Waikiki, as is a Courtyard in Kahuku (North Shore). 

Maui is the 2nd most developed island, though it's also the 2nd largest.  There's still a lot of undeveloped, very rural areas if you get out of the Wailuku/Kahului and Lahaina/Ka'anapali areas.  Maui county is also the most expensive county in Hawaii.  But it retains some of what Oahu has with more nature/rural areas.  The other islands in Maui county are easily accessible from Maui (air/sea), though there are no Marriott properties there.  Maui Marriott properties:  Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (MVC Lahaina/Ka'anapali), Wailea Beach Marriott (Kihei/Wailea), Courtyard Kahului Airport (Wailuku/Kahului), and the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua. 

Kauai is the smallest and least developed of the main Hawaiian islands.  The island is quite rural and probably has more feral chickens living on it than people.  But vacationers love Kauai for its ultra laid-back style and lush greenery.  It's much less crowded than Maui and Oahu, but do expect traffic still.  You also don't have a whole lot of options for shopping/dining, especially if you're looking for a classy meal.  Your best option on the island for that would be to head to The Kauai Grill by Chef Jean-George at the St. Regis Princeville.  Kauai Marriott properties:  Kauai Marriott Resort (Lihue), Courtyard Kauai at Coconut Beach (Wailua), Marriott Kauai Beach Club (MVC Lihue), Kauai Marriott Resort & Beach Club (MVC Lihue), Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club (MVC Poipu). 

Hawaii Island aka the Big Island is the largest of the Hawaiian islands.  It's unique in that it contains most of the worlds climate zones, so in the winter you can be skiing around world-class observatories atop Mauna Kea, and within a hour or so, be lounging around on the sand at a beach (usually black sand).  There's a lot to do and see here too, such as a visit to the Volcano, Place of Refuge, Hamakua Mushrooms, etc. but there aren't many shopping/dining options, with the best options likely being in the Waikoloa Resort.  That being said, Hilo has no Marriott or any other national chain, and options are super slim.  The Marriott properties on this island are located on the Kona side and includes the Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel (Kailua-Kona) and the Waikoloa Beach Marriott. 

And to help you further along, here's some reviews I wrote for a few of the properties with pictures:

JW Marriott Ihilani - Post Renovation Wedding Weekend Stay

Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa - 3 Stays in 1 Review

JW Marriott Ihilani, Ko'olina Resort

Marriott Waikiki v.s. Courtyard Waikiki

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...