2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2008 9:12 PM by bagsarepacked RSS

bridge on the river Kwai

bagsarepacked Silver
Currently Being Moderated

After visiting Bankok, hire a car and driver for an unforgetable trip to the Myanmar border, overnighting at Kachanaburi on the river Kwai.  You can cross the river by train(which in the classsic film of its name didn't make it) and be picked up by your guide at the next stop. If you are lucky you can cross over to Myanmar for a night in the first town. Otherwise there is a rather rundown hotel at the border at Three Pagoda Pass. The cemetery in Kachanaburi is the resting places for hundreds of prisoners--british,australians,dutch,americans--who worked on the original bridge.  bAGSAREPACKED ------pS THE Marriott  Bangkok on the Chao Pria River is my recommendation

• Re: bridge on the river Kwai
    slysy56 Platinum
    We're going to Bangkok EOM May.   You mentioned a guide (vice hiring a tour?).  Can you elaborate on pricing and guide recommendations?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: bridge on the river Kwai
    bagsarepacked Silver
    to SLYSY56----We flew into Bangkok on our own and had reservations at the Marriott Hotel and Resort. A great hotel and location on the Chao Praya River which runs right thru Bangkok. the hotel has a motor launch which will take you to interesting points in the city.  NO CHARGE--Don't miss a visit to the venerable Grand Dame Oriental Hotel and its famous and best French Cuisine in Southeast Asia. Very expensive but worth a one-time experience if you are not on a strict budget. As for the tour to the River Kwai, etc, the tour company I used was----VP Visits plus,Inc--27 William Street, Suite 728, Ner York, NY.  1-800 321-3235 or 212-7859171. They have tours all over Southeast Asia and China. Their land packages are flexible and can handle large groups as well as a "car and driver-guide" which we used on the Kwai and Myanmar trip. We went in 1997 and I can't give you a dollar figure but did remember that we were satisfied with the result and the oveall cost. I hope this info will help and bon voyage!  Bagsarepacked 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...