27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2014 2:21 AM by tommo781 RSS

New Membership Card - and Account Number?!?!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is really weird.  I have been a rewards member for several years and am a silver elite, having been gold in the past.  Today, out of the blue, I have got a new membership card.  A blue one.  With a totally different rewards account number on it.  And the accompanying documentation welcomes me as a new rewards member!!!  I have no idea why this has happened, as I haven't reported any problems with my card at all, neither have I applied for a new one for any reason.

Has this happened to anyone else?  And who is the best person to email about it?  Can merb or The specified item was not found. shed any light on this please?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Membership Card - and Account Number?!?!
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very curious, Tommo781.  A "blue" card?  Either one of the folks you mention should be able to find out what's going on.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GoldenBoy Platinum

I've seen blue cards for brand new members at the check-in counter at some properties. They pick a card out from the pile & their info gets attached to it

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Yes GoldenBoy it is the base level for Marriott Rewards membership.  It is all sorted out now.  It was a mistake Marriott sending it to me, and they have sorted it out now, as I have detailed further down this thread.  But thanks a lot for your input.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Tommo781, just from my experience, this could be due to the "Target" target. I was issued a new Visa with new number due to that but I was notified previous to receiveing it by the Marriott crew via email.

However, my new card is black with the chip and pin technology. Blue, I don't know about.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Hi madmax.  This is actually a new Rewards Card, so not a credit card.  It is blue, denoting no elite status.  I simply don't understand what is going on, but jmart hopefully will get to the bottom of it.

jmart Member

Tommo781 Let me look into this for you. Can you send me a private message with your original rewards number and the new one on the blue card so we can try to get to the bottom of this? Thanks!

rikas Member

Congratulation

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I'm a bit disappointed how this is being handled to be honest.  I had an EMail earlier today from  jmart saying "I haven't heard back yet, but hope to hear on Monday. Stay tuned and have a great weekend."

I have replied "That’s a bit disappointing as I brought up the subject over 24 hours ago.  Do you mean there is no-one in Marriott who could deal with this from Friday morning until Monday?  I am very concerned that my rewards account is being compromised because this extra card is beyond an explanation to me.  Surely someone can have a look at a computer and see what has happened."

That was over 2 hours ago and I have not had a reply.

I am also concerned as there appears to be someone on this thread, who I have not heard of before and does not appear to be connected to Marriott, posting strange messages and asking me for personal details.

I would appreciate any comments/reassurance from my MRI friends.  And merb is there anything you can do please? Thanks everybody.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well, everyone, I find this quite incredible.  merb and jmart I have heard from Marriott Rewards.  This is what I got:-

"It appears that you were enrolled into the a Marriott Rewards program a second time back on May 7, 2014 by a reservation agent.  I am researching to find out why this was done, but rest assured that your original Silver Elite account is safe and sound.

With your permission, I will gladly merge the two accounts together, keeping your original account.  Once I hear back from you, I will merge them together.  At that point I will also add some points to your account as a gesture of apology for this issue."

I have replied:-

"How very, very strange.  I have looked in my reservations, and on May 7th I did make a reservation for (name of hotel).  But as I was using a Rewards Certificate for one night, and paying for the other two, why would an agent enrol me again?  That doesn’t make any sense.  Thankfully the reservation is showing properly on my silver elite account as it should be.  If it helps, the reservation number is (number). Yes, please do whatever is necessary to keep my existing silver elite account, and get rid of the new unwanted account.

And thankyou very much for your offer of adding some points.  That is much appreciated."

How weird is that?  The reservation was made using a rewards certificate as part payment, and properly logged onto my silver elite rewards account.  So why enrol me again???

jmart Member

Tommo781 Definitely strange, and I'm glad they'll continue to look into the reason for you. Thanks for keeping us in the loop on your updates - please continue to do so as you hear more. So glad things are looking OK on your Silver Elite Rewards account and that you'll receive some additional points after all of this confusion. Have a great day!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Thanks jmart.  But I replied to Marriott Rewards yesterday, and I still haven't had confirmation that they have done anything.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Tommo781, it is good to hear that you heard from Marriott and that they are willing to compensate. However, I personally would be leery now of my actual old account. If someone (travel agent or not) decided upon themselves to add this account, they had to have known your true account as well and I would be afraid it could later be compromised. I know it would be a hassle for you, but I would feel better (this is myself personally due to the world these days and all other information that may be connected to the account, i.e. personal info) asking Marriott to wipe both accounts, giving me a new account with all old history, points, etc...

That's just me. I was very aggravated when Marriott cancelled my old cc and issued me another one when the Target thingy happened since I had only once used the card at Target, but after much thought decided it was the best course of action considering what could have been hacked. This feels like the same kind of issue to me. (although it may not be, better safe than sorry if Marriott will do that)

sorry for the downer, but just my paranoia.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

madmax, thanks for your concern.  I quite agree with what you say, but the only reservation agent I have ever been in touch with was at Marriott!!  Especially on the day the new account was opened.  That is why I find it so weird.  I either book on line, or in this case because I had a Rewards Certificate, over the phone direct to Marriott.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

oops sorry tommo, meant to say reservation agent, not travel agent. But I have NEVER heard of a reservation agent opening up an account for someone making reservations without asking the person if they are already a member or noticing you were using points or had given him/her an account number when reserving. I'm sure all will work out well. At least you are supposed to get some compensation for it. I wish you had gotten the agent's name so you could give that info to whomever emailed you.

didn't mean to put a spoiler on anything, just sayin'

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

madmax - thanks!  I have just realised that I have the name of the Marriott agent!  What happened was that I made a reservation earlier, and amended it on May 7th.  I did not change the dates, just changed other stuff, and I got an email from the agent as well as the formal confirmation.

So thanks again; I will let them know the agents name right now.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

That is most awesome! They can take care of the issue not ever happening again. Now I feel better...for you I mean

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Just got confirmation that all has been sorted, and 5,000 points to say sorry.  So job done - I hope!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I really like to hear when a problem arises, Marriott takes care of it and compensates for the inconvenience. They really do try to get things right I believe. I know we all complain about this and that, but things like this are what brings us back time and time again. Thanks for the post Tommo781 and glad all worked out well.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Thanks madmax.  It is a relief to have it sorted.  BTW, one of Mrs Tommo's closest friends is a lady called Max.  And she is mad.  Absolutely bonkers!  And I say that with great affection.  She is such fun and we both love her to bits.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...