5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2014 6:59 PM by iahflyr RSS

Ripped off

randbo51 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I made reservations for later this month (June 2014) in Madrid back on March 16 of this year. Today, I moved the checkout date back one day.At the time of reservation, each night was 30,000 points. Marriott Rewards was happy to make the change but because of the category upgrades on April 9, they charged me 35,000 for each night's stay and only credited me 15,000 points!

This is so unfair!! I feel once the original reservation is made the point values should remain the same even if a reservation is changed. After all, the confirmation number didn't change. Marriott is usually very accommodating and understanding but this has created some very ill will with me. I hope other Rewards members read this and are aware.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ripped off
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

did you try calling Marriott CS to see if they could rectify? Maybe you should direct message The specified item was not found. to see if he can connect you with someone who will check into this for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Okay all, The specified item was not found. sent my issue forward and I just got an email from the Social Media Team explaining my situation.  I AM SUCH A DUMMY!

Here is the deal.  Marriott is not fundamentally wrong I am.  Yes, me.....when I made the reservation using points the property was Cat 4 which was 15,000/night.  So, when I went to cancel it the current price for the Cat is 20,000/night. Had I taken the time to look back into my account at the time I made the points reservation I would have seen the 15,000 point deduction and all would have been fine.

Lesson, don't try and outsmart software when you are a Neanderthal. 

Thanks The specified item was not found. and the Social Media Team for their rapid response to this issue and I apologize for jumping to conclusions. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Dear Randbo,

Believe me, many of us are aware.  Well aware.  This is how the game is played.  It's not just that way with points, my friend, it works the same way with cash reservations (the only difference is that with cash reservations - and I'm talking about doing changes online, not over the phone - there is a message on the screen that does state that any changes may affect the price.  And honestly, I'm not sure, but it might state it for points as well.)  Any time you make a change, you must be aware of this.

Specifically, with regards to points reservations - and changes (involving a potential increase in points) I feel you... last year, around March 2013, I took out a Cat. 5-8, 7 night hotel/airfare travel package using Marriott points, for the purpose of staying at a Cat. 8 in London during April of this year (2014).  I knew last year that I had to book the hotel by the deadline in April (can't recall the exact day), as the hotel that I wanted to use the travel package for was going to bump up to a Cat. 9.  It was no problem, I booked it using the Cat. 5-8 travel package, then it bumped up to a Cat. 9, but I was good... my reservation was set prior to the bump, which Marriott will honor.  Then the trouble began, a grave family illness, and the reservation had to be scraped for a later date.  Long story short, I had to add another 30,000 points to the deal to stay at the same hotel, because the hotel is now a Cat. 9.  That's how the game is played, unfortunately.  And unfortunately, when we don't know all of the rules and conditions, we can be very disappointed when we get clobbered by a rule or condition that we are not aware of.  Now you know... every year, Marriott re-evaluates their hotel categories.  A small number of hotels drop in categories, a huge number of hotels increase in categories.  Some stay the same.  Sometimes even, like last year, Marriott adds a category.  If you book prior to a category bump, you're in the money, unless you have to make a change after the bump.  Then your early booking prior to the old category deadline, gets thrown into the dead pile and you have to start from scratch.

Similarly, I got burned earlier in the year with a round trip airline reservation.  I wanted to change the outbound date, but keep the inbound date.  By the time I realized that I wanted to do this, it would've cost too much to change the outbound portion of the ticket (with change fees and last minute jump in ticket price), so I thought, I'll just take the train outbound (short distance regional travel) and use the ticket for the inbound.  Little did I know, if I don't check-in and execute the outbound portion of a round trip ticket, the airline automatically cancels the inbound ticket (and non-refundable).  I felt burned.  Now that I know better, I proceed a little differently if I think I need to.

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with the rules, and if you want to commiserate with others about rules and practices and offerings, etc, etc, etc that are opined to be unfair, there are many discussion threads on here that you can jump right into, for that.  I am saying that I feel your pain, as many of us have by learning "the hard way."

The more we know, the better we can strategize our travel plans.  I've learned a lot on this forum that has really helped me to strategize and book smarter.  I hope you'll stick around and share some of your knowledge and tricks with us, and we'll all continue to learn from one another.  I'm sorry that this happened to you.  I know it's a bummer.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

pluto77 what an outstanding post.  You've included great lessons you've learned about different travel scenarios and things we should all take more time in researching before hitting the continue icon.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

So well put!

So often, "You change, you lose"!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...