8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2014 2:58 PM by scladylinks RSS

Promotions Involving Nights Earned

marcell Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Marriott Community,

I have noticed with most promotions involving earning nights after the 2nd paid stay, that you can earn at least 2 stays while staying consecutive nights at a hotel.  If you make 2 separate reservations for the same period of stay, you can  "checkout" after the first reservation and "check-in" under the 2nd reservation. Then when the 2nd reservation/stay is complete, the system will recognize each checkout as a stay.

For example, if you are staying Thursday through Sunday (a 3-day stay) at a hotel, I would book the first 2 nights as a reservation, and the next night as a separate reservation. Usually, after the first 2 nights upon check-in, I would receive a folio under the door. I would "checkout" under this 2-night stay at the front desk, and check-in under the next reservation. Upon completing my stay, I would notice that the promotion would acknowledge 2 stays for that consecutive stay.

Sometimes, I plan to stay 2 nights, but not sure if I will stay the 3rd night which is one reason I have made 2 reservations. I notice the disclaimer would define a stay as consecutive nights stayed in a hotel, regardless of checkin/checkout activity. But, there are apparently exceptions to the rule.

Anyone else ever have this to happen?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Promotions Involving Nights Earned
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Marcell,

In my personal experience, I have never been able to make multiple (2 or more) separate but contiguous reservations at the same property work for me in such a way as to get credit for two stays, when it was really only one stay (but with two back to back reservations), and I believe that to be the case for many of us, at least from what I've read from others.  There are times when I do multiple reservations for one stay, for various reasons (I'm not sure how long I intend to stay, but want to make the reservation at a good rate, so just book multiple reservations so that I can just cancel or add the one night, without having to change the reservation later at the risk of a higher room rate, or also, sometimes the rates work out better in my favor when breaking up a reservation into two, thanks to the mind-boggling Marriott pricing matrix.)

When I arrive then, they always bundle it into one reservation.  This is usually because I let them know that I have two reservations.  The reason I let them know that I have two reservations is so that we don't end up having to change rooms, which is a possibility when breaking up a stay into two reservations.  It's possible that you are getting the extra stay credit towards the bonus promotion because you have come across some front desk associates who don't know any better to attach the two together (or maybe even some accountants/account clerks in the back office who overlook this.)  The rules are pretty clear about the definition of a stay.  I'm thinking that you've been rather fortunate.

Thanks for your interesting post, and welcome to Insiders.  I'm curious as to what others have to say about this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

marcell Gold

Hello Pluto,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have been fortunate to have it work out this way with having 2 stays. I acknowledge that it may vary from hotel to hotel and who is on duty.

I have also booked 2 reservations for one stay period due to the price. In my example, a Thursday night stay by itself may be $150-$200 a night. However, a Thursday/Friday combination or a Friday/Saturday combination (due to it being a weekend) will usually be a reduced rate, like $119/night or lower sometimes for a Full-Service (FS) Marriott. If I plan to be at a hotel for at least 3 days, I usually check the rates for the period of stay to see which combination of dates will yield me the best rate for my money.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You are correct that the fine print states "consecutive nights at the same hotel regardless of check-in check-out activity count as a single stay." If you've had luck in the past getting credit for more than one stay for consecutive nights, I'd say you have lucked out.

If you really want to get credit for multiple stays in one city, you would probably be better off staying at different hotels each night. The inconvenience might make this less appealing, but it would fit the letter of the rules if not the spirit. On the plus side you would get to experience different properties and may find one more to your personal tastes than the other.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Just recently, I had a 2 consecutive night stay at a Marriott property and it was 2 separate one night reservations for the same room type.  The first night was using a AAA rate, the second night was using a Marriott Rewards Offer rate.  When I checked in, I mentioned that I had 2 reservations.  The clerk said they couldn't combine it into one, and apologized that I would have to check out and check in the next morning. It had to do with one rate canceling out the other rate if it were combined. 

marcell Gold

Hello there muppetwrangler,

Yes, I have had 2 different rates for the same stay period too.

In my opinion, if you are in a promotion, that 's a good reason to get 2 night stays in one period. I'm always trying to look for the best deals that hotels have to offer.

As you stated, trying to combine the rates would cancel out that rate and a higher price will most likely occur.

scladylinks Gold 3 Reviews

TThey want to make it difficult.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

As beajacob mentioned if your trying to get multiple stays in one city for a promotion its probably best to get change properties.  I have to admit that I've done this myself in order to take advantage of a Marriott promotion.  While it's a slight hassle to pack up and move to another property its also nice to be able to visit other properties and if your platinum elite you also get additional points as a welcome gift when you check into the second property.

I have also found that by calling the Marriott Reservations line when I want to take advantage of different room rates on consecutive nights for the same property that the Reservation representatives are usually able to put the two rates into one reservation so you don't have the hassle of dealing with two reservations at the same property. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'll join in with the many others.

My stay and booking pattern means that sometimes I have to add a night to a stay, or choose to extend a businees stay for 1 night into a weekend and thus end up with 2 bookings.

Invariably I find a bill under my door at the end of the first booking. Some hotels insist I go through the checkout procedure, others confirm they've joined them together and give me a single bill at the end.

Sometimes these stays end up being recorded as 2 seperate stays. Sometimes not.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...