6 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2014 6:44 PM by profchiara RSS

Crete, Archaeological Museum

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

While an archaeological museum might not excite many people, this one sure excited me.  The museum had been closed for many years, and has now reopened in the Old Port Area of Heraklion, and almost all of the vases, animal replicas, jewelry, frescoes from Knossos, etc. are from the Minoan period, which lasted from about 1800 (or earlier) to 1450 BC.IMG_2080.jpgIMG_2078.jpgIMG_2094.jpgIMG_2105.jpgIMG_2120.jpgIMG_2133.jpgIMG_2139.jpgIMG_2150.jpgIMG_2156.jpgIMG_2157.jpgIMG_2175.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Crete, Archaeological Museum
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

These items are absolutely stunning! I particularly love the boxes or crates. Were these just used for general storage or for special treasures? They have handles for poles just like the Arc of the Covenant.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

That looks like a lot of "Gold"!

Wonderful photo's!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Prochiara

Very nice photos.  I cannot even imagine trying to place a price tag on these ancient artifacts.

They are truly spectacular and are priceless, especially since most are nearly 4000 years old.  Gold is not indigenous to Greece, and we know from these and other artifacts as well as writings from Mesopotamia and Egypt at the time that Crete and the Minoans (Santorini was a satellite island, destroyed by a violent earthquake around 1626 BC) all traded.  The frescoes that are not in the museum but that were originally in the palace at Knossos provide some of the main evidence for life there.  It was obviously a well to do leisure society that valued beauty, clothing, animals, jewelry, etc.  You can see it from the designs on the pottery, which are often of sea creatures and sometimes purely geometric.  There is little evidence of warlike activity, which Crete's position may have helped until it was conquered around 1450 BC by the mainland Mycenaeans.  Their script, Linear B, has been deciphered, so evidence of them on the island can be read.  But by then the great Minoan civilization had ended.

There is a whole storage section away from the central courtyard at Knossos, and that's where most of the large crates and pithoi (huge vats) were found, so some would have stored foods like olives and olive oil, while others were quite possibly used for storing clothing or palatial goods.

It was hard narrowing down the photos to add because I took nearly 200 in the museum.  It is a truly spectacular and fully modernized museum.  Visit if you get the chance!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

thanks professor for the extra information on the museum. If I ever get to Greece I certainly will go there.

And just in case 4000 years ago is too modern for some of you IMG_2059.jpg, here are a few cases from the museum that contain artifacts from 7000-3000 BC.IMG_2060.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...