9 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2014 10:40 AM by jmart RSS

Crete - the hotel, Old Port and Food

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here is the first of a few posts on Crete.  The Galaxy Hotel (rated #1 in Heraklion by tripadvisor, and deserving) greeted me with a tray of Cretan appetizers, a bottle of red wine, a bottle of water and a letter from the manager when I arrived in my room.  After a day at archaeological sites, I came back to their amazing pool.IMG_2058.jpgIMG_2050.jpgIMG_2313.jpgIMG_2303.jpgIMG_2299.jpgIMG_2211.jpgIMG_2301.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Crete - the hotel, Old Port and Food
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Professor,

Terrific photos.  The hotel looks and sounds wonderful.  It looks like you had a fantastic trip!  After so many visits to Greece now, when do you find the weather to be at its most agreeable?  Also, when are the rates the best?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Pluto,

I think May or fall is the best time for weather. It can get very hot in the summer.  In the islands and Athens, it's pretty nice all year round which is why I'm glad their government finally took the step of 'keeping Greece' open for tourism from Oct-Apr.  Except for the islands of Santorini and to a lesser degree Mykonos, everywhere in Greece is very inexpensive.  The wonderful hotel I stayed at was 119 euros a night for my executive room (wifi and breakfast included), and as I mentioned it's the number one rated hotel in the city of Heraklion.  If you're going to Athens, you can stay at some really expensive hotels, like any big world city, but the average rate is very low compared to Europe -- eating well in Greece is also very inexpensive.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Great photo's and information!  Looks very relaxing, and sure sounds inexpensive!

Thank-you for sharing this with us!

jmart Member

profchiara These photos are amazing! I spent my honeymoon in Greece and we had a wonderful day in Heraklion. We also had a delicious lunch that looked much like yours (YUM!) with that amazing view. I loved taking pictures of all the old fishing boats in the harbor. We swore we'd go back there for our 5 year anniversary...but now that (and the 10-year) has come and gone without a trip back to Greece ;-(  Someday!

Then, jmart, depending on how long till 15th comes, start planning!  It really is a great time to go to Greece.

One thing I love is that the real Greek food that you can find at most outdoor cafés is just that -- real -- and inexpensive.  No full meal cost me more than 20 euros, which is unthinkable for even breakfast in most European cities.  The dinner at the Sofitel Airport Athens (which was delicious) cost 68 euros, and was delicious (shrimp in phyllo pastry with tomatoes and ouzo as an appetizer and a delicious poached sea bass with lentil sauce and vegetarian moussaka) - see below.  But a great Greek meal can be had almost anywhere for much less.

Start planning your 15th anniversary!  Crete is particularly inexpensive and  there's been much civic improvement with wide open plazas, etc.

IMG_2333.jpgIMG_2334.jpgIMG_2335.jpg

Sorry, just used delicious three times in two sentences.  I guess I got the point across

jmart Member

Ha! I used "amazing" three times in my last post you you, but edited one to "delicious" before I sent ;-) It's hard not to use that descriptor! Yes - we should absolutely plan it for 15, which will be in 2016.When we went in 2001, I didn't like Greek yogurt at that time. Now I'm obsessed with it, so breakfasts will be that much more enjoyable too. We went in late September, which was perfect from a weather standpoint. Perhaps we should do the same timing?

Then you should make some homemade tzatziki -- Greek yogurt, a dash of lemon juice, diced cucumbers and maybe a hint of garlic or mint.  Perfect for summer, in those places that have it! (I had to wear my winter coat today -- it is that cold in Maine.)

jmart Member

YUM! I need to make this for the grilled chicken leftovers we have. Yes - it's brrrrrr here too, but I'm sure much colder where you are. But at last the sun is shining!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...