4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 9:19 AM by bpelican RSS

Platiinum Benefits-Only when a paid guest??

swingtrain5 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

How frustrating is it that for all the added attention, upgrades when available, extra points etc that are afforded to platinum members when we're paying guests, (which I don't take casually), we are nonetheless totally unrecognized on the point redemption side of the equation.

Marriott advertises its program will get us there 30% faster than its competitors, but what good is it if we can't use the points where and when we want, at any point redemption level? Why doesn't Stay Anytime mean Stay Anytime as it relates to platinum guests? Is it truly "honoring' our platinum status when we're put in the same pool for redeeming points as the Silver Elite member who has acieved his status simply by having a Marriott Visa card, or has stayed at a Marriott two times a year and has finally earned enough points for 1 room-night.

How ridiculous it is, how I generally have around 400-500,000 points at any time, and I'm often told I can't redeem them when I want or need to? It's at those times, when I'm paying and not my company, that I use it as an opportunity to sample other company's products.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platiinum Benefits-Only when a paid guest??
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Swing,

Why take this out on Silver Elites? I really don't think your ire should be directed at folks who, just like you, would like to enjoy whatever perks than can with points they have accumulated.

My beef on this topic has always been the "no blackout dates". I have found hotels that have plenty of rooms available but the GM will not open additional rooms for point redemption. There are many times where occupancy rates dictate what rooms are available, but not always.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree that things should not be taken out on Siler, as they are paying guests. I usually only encounter point problems for "special events" like when a concert or sporting event is being held next door at a stadium or something. They will note tyhis way in advance too, like 6 months. If I want that location, I usually just pay, as the Hilton properties (which I still have about a million residual points with) seem to do the same thing. Frustrating, but I try to find ways around it, or just pay if that is what I really want. I figure I can just use the other points in the future. They always come in handy.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The 'no blackout dates' policy has been a bone of contention with many for quite some time. Many posts on this forum have brought up the same issue but the 'no blackout dates' remains a mystery that escapes us all because there are blackout dates regardless of status or the property one wants to use their points at.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Good post.  I agree.  I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite and get real perturbed when after being told on-line I can't use points for a property pay for the stay and the property is 1/4 occupied.  Now I call my special Platinum number and have no problem using my points.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...