42 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2016 2:03 PM by impinth_llq RSS

Any More Clarification What It Takes Yearly to Maintain Platinum Premier?

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Have been PP for three years and still I'm not sure what it takes to maintain this status.  I seem to be getting more recognition than ever before for my PP status and always seem to get an upgrade without asking.  I know we've hash this around before, but is there any new info?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Any More Clarification What It Takes Yearly to Maintain Platinum Premier?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

bpelican

I also have enjoyed PP for several years running.  Congrats!  As far as upgrades go, as has been discussed here often, there probably is a pecking order that begins with status and PP helps a lot.  However, a short stay, one or two nigths, seems to also improve your odds greatly. 

As far as the criteria to achieve the status.  It's a moving target that puts you in the top 2-3% off all Marriott travelers annually.  I suspect it is also possible that a near-miss might be included as a hit if you are a returning PP. 

That's all I got...

shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bpelican,

I don't know either,

Was one for many years but lost out after one year with a 115 paid nights.  It has NOT effected my stays, or upgrades!

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Marriott does not publish the requirements to earn/maintain PP. However, as some have said, its the top couple of % in revenue and nights stayed. Interesting that like here, most people that are PP on Flyertalk see no value in being PP. Platinum is just fine for them. PP is not about nights alone. Revenue is a big part. 150 Fairfield stays aren't going to get one PP status.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'm not sure I'd want to spend enough time away for home to be a PP!

Again from Flyertalk it seems to be that to qualify for PP you'll need to be in the top 2 or 3% of plats, judged by an algorithmic criteria that includes both nights and revenue. The exact nature of the criteria is a closely guarded secret, however, once again from Flyertalk it seems it's easier to keep the status once you have it than to score it from scratch.

yager.ej. Platinum

I think it would be helpful to know what your stats were/are related to your stays.  for instance I stay an average 86 nights a year and average $740 per stay.  Without any details of what people who are PP's stats are; there isn't a way to narrow down what you need to keep/achieve the status.  It may be an arbitrary number, but if there is no added benefit to PP, what is the point?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I first earned PP status in 2004. I have been tracking my nights ever since and points/spend$ since early 2008. So based on full-year numbers (2009 through 2014) I have the following calculations (note that my average room rate per night is between $100 & $106) so if you are staying at higher-priced venues but fewer nights, perhaps that played into the PP-invitation status for top-3%'ers.

2014: as a result of 2013, I lost PP status; LTP status for 2014.

2013: I had 23 paid nights and spent an average of 103.30 per night or $2,375.90 for the year; PP status retained.

2012: I had 243 paid nights and spent an average of $103.30 per night or $25,101.90 for the year; PP status achieved.

2011: I had 168 paid nights and spent an average of $105.33 per night or $17,695.32 for the year; PP status achieved.

2010: I had 190 paid nights and spent an average of $102.72 per night or $19,517.64 for the year; PP status achieved.

2009: I had 179 paid nights and spent an average of $100.18 per night or $17,932.67 for the year; PP status achieved.

Here are my Marriott stays (PAID # of nights/year) to gauge what it takes to retain PP status (sorry, no $):

2008: 208; PP status achieved

2007: 178; PP status achieved

2006: 212; PP status achieved

2005: 191; PP status achieved

2004: 217 ; PP status achieved (if not mistaken, I had close to 200-215 the year before while holding P-status)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Hey PGM, are you rounding up or down to the nearest penny?  lol.... sorry, just had to say it. I appreciate the decimal.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks pingreeman.  I think your stats come the closest to clarifying the qualifications for PP status as I've seen.   Appreciate your valuable input.

bpelican

I agree that Ping did a great job with the stats.  still not sure what the criteria is, but either way, it's a bunch of nights…..  I have averaged about 125 nights a year for the last several years and my nightly cost has probably been an average of $200.  I have qualified each of the last several years for PP.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had fewer nights each year and slightly higher nightly costs on average.  I think there's a bit of nights + spend + year over year that goes into it all.  I was standard plat for many years with the same 120+ paid nights & spend as I'm getting these days.  It wasn't until my 4th or 5th year of it that I got PP status.

For me it's really made a difference at properties overseas or in larger full service properties in the US.  I have noticed some properties that automatically upgrade me now as PP where I rarely ever got an upgrade as plat.  Heck one hotel outside of Chicago I didnt even know there were "upgraded" rooms with 100s of nights there until getting PP status  LOL 

Seems like PP status perks are random at best so like others, I sometimes wonder if there will be anything done to make it actually different.

kbscubadiver Platinum 2 Reviews

In the calendar year of 2012 I had 427 (+/- a few) PAID nights.  Ive never hit Platinum Premier... If anyone should have it, I should... Im still looking for my end of the year total screenshot.

2014-10-22_21-52-23.png

The one thing that's clear from the Flyertalk threads is that it's an algorithm, 382 nights in a year   isn't the only criteria, Pingreemans reply here is useful since he was a PP and gives both nights and revenue, though only for requalifying, which again reading the FT thread is easier...

brightlybob / zukracer / kbscubadiver: The statement zukracer made "I was standard plat for many years with the same 120+ paid nights & spend as I'm getting these days.  It wasn't until my 4th or 5th year of it that I got PP status."

I believe also applied to me. While I don't have my personal statistics going back to year 1999, I recall that between 1999-2000, I had less than silver status as I was mostly doing local work those two years. However, beginning in 2001 and through 2003, I stayed at Marriott brands in excess of 125 paid nights per year. Combining my experience with zukracer's, perhaps there is an additional requirement that no one has been able to officially identify that implies "to be granted PP status, the member must have three qualification years of PP status prior to actual awarding of status." I would be curious if any other MRI members had similar "pre-qualification" years? So curious, in fact, I just developed a poll to ask.

Please see the newest poll to support a three-year pre-qualification theory:

Platinum Premier Status - How Long Did You Qualify?

stephenzheng Platinum

Just to share what I heard from Marriott. I spent some effort calling Marriott Customer Service about PP, finally talked to a lady at the office(certainly not call center people) who seems to know the process. I was told that the PP is within the top 3% selected based on a 3 years total of money spent and nights stayed. It is not selected based only on the previous year's numbers.It is selected by the computer system automatically. Even though, PP does not offer much additional benefits, I still want to have it.

Based on my case, the answer makes sense. I never stayed at Marriott before 2012,  200+nights for 2012, 400+nights for 2013 (because I lived at a JW full time for 365 nights and went on business trips elsewhere), and 280+nights for 2014. The number of nights quoted are nights stayed excluding bonus/rollover nights. I was not given PP status in 2014, even though I have 400+ nights stayed, 220+ bonus/rollover nights and over 50k USD spent in 2013. That tells us that PP is not only selected based the previous year's numbers. I expected to be given PP status in 2015.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

So it's the title that's important to you since you acknowledge PP doesn't get you anything extra.  Will still take the title AND $5 to get a cup of coffee at Starbucks

Cheers.

stephenzheng - your numbers make perfect sense and are consistent with my theory of requiring a "PP" level of paid nights/$ over three years prior to receiving PP. In a few weeks you should know your new status - please update this string.

stephenzheng Platinum

Sorry for the late response. I still did not get PP in 2015. So, I made some phone calls to Marriott US and got an email back explaining why I did not get it. Eventhough I had more than enough nights(and dollar spent each year) at Marriott in 2012, 2013 and 2014, my platinum status started on 01-Sept-2012, that is when I became platimun for the first time. From 01-Sept-2012 to 31-Dec-2014, my platinum status is less than 3 years.

So, to qualify for PP, the member needs to be top 3% based on previous 3 years of total money spent and total nights stayed. Plus, the member needs to be a platinum member for more than a solid three years duration at the time of PP evaluation.

Let us see what I get at the begging of 2016. I will update the forum then.

Thats important info, because although cumulatively we had guessed at such a minimum-period qualification rule, that is the first time it's been confirmed.

Still not sure what relevance the status has though, seeing as PP benefits are nil...

EDIT... Not quite nil, I am aware that the Renaissance St Pancras in London has a policy of upgrading rooms only within the new Barlow wing BUT PPs are upgraded to an historic Chambers room. And very nice they are too. A saving of £75 ($120) per night. So if you're PP make a dash for the St Pancras Ren for your only real benefit *

*subject to availability

Message was edited by: brightlybob

lexdevil Platinum

brightlybob wrote:

EDIT... Not quite nil, I am aware that the Renaissance St Pancras in London has a policy of upgrading rooms only within the new Barlow wing BUT PPs are upgraded to an historic Chambers room. And very nice they are too. A saving of £75 ($120) per night. So if you're PP make a dash for the St Pancras Ren for your only real benefit *

*subject to availability

Message was edited by: brightlybob

If this is the case, I wish they would be more forthcoming about it. In my communications with them they have held firm to the line that I would not be upgraded to Chambers, despite having paid the supplement for a Barlow Premium room (so there is no place to upgrade me to within the Barlow wing). If I thought that there was a decent chance of a Chambers room, I would stay there next month, but as they have remained adamant, I will stay elsewhere. It irks me that paying extra for a larger rooms precludes me from being upgraded.

stephenzheng Platinum

I am here to update the forum as I promised in May of 2015. Please refer to my previous posts within this thread in Jan 2015 and May 2015. I have earned PP for 2016. My status was updated today 10-Jan-2016.

Our previous understanding is correct "to qualify for PP, the member needs to be top 3% based on previous 3 years of total money spent and total nights stayed. Plus, the member needs to be a platinum member for more than a solid three years duration(continuously) at the time of PP evaluation."

I have 200+ nights in 2012, 400+ nights in 2013, 280+ nights in 2014 and 140+ nights in 2015. I did not make PP in 2015 since I did not meet the solid three years of Platinum requirement. In Jan 2015, I had only been platinum for 2 years and 4 months. 

ramoneur Platinum

so,

you PP now?

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

The fact that YOU did not earn PP status with your stays and rates just does not make sense.

* update: After reading the response received from Marriott corporate, the PP achievement and maintaining requirements are clearer to me; but the PP status, I guess, is just supposed to be a feel good thing for those of us who have it. There is no benefit holding the PP status.  

barrpat - "supposed to be a feel good thing for those of us who have it. There is no benefit holding the PP status" -precisely. One of the reasons I am glad they took away the free coffee from the CY to make me jump ship from Marriott. One would think that given the "challenge" to make PP status that there would be more benefits than one special 800# for PPs to call. In 10 years at PP, I cannot remember ONE TIME that having that level of status really did me any favors when I was hoping such a status would be treated more "royally." Several times I could not get upgraded rooms when paying with points even though upgrades were available. Several times I could not get into a venue on points because the hotel was sold out or had "pointed" all their available rooms. To be totally honest and candid - it was a "feel good" ego boost aka George Clooney's bragging about points in Up in the Air.

ndn Platinum

PP now gets UA Gold in RewardsPlus

What if I already have earned 1K status (2013/2014)? Does getting UA Gold do me any favors?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Nope but it sure does mean you travel too much  

ndn Platinum

And what if you had 2 million miles on United and Lifetime Platinum and never redeemed points for stays and didn't care about getting a free snack?

The point is that there IS a real benefit now for PP. It doesn't mean everybody values that benefit or even can use it. But there is a tangible difference that can be stated.    

I cannot argue that point. But I do think the real benefits should be targeted to what Marriott itself can do for the PP. For example, guaranteed suites on points, free parking or breakfast, welcome gifts that really matter, etc. - you know, many of the things that USED to be perks.

Ping

I could not agree with you more.  While the UA status bump is a clear perk and of value to some folks, I have not flown on United in the past 15 years and do not see any travel on the airline in the next 15 years.  No value to me whatsoever...I was just reviewing my points posted this year and noted that 75% were earned and 25% were bonus points.  Seems to me that there likely is a point of diminishing returns for those of us that stay 100+ nights a year in that the % of bonus points probably goes down the more you stay.  Bottom line, I believe that PP status has provided little, if any value to me, and that seems to be a loss for both myself and a lost opportunity for Marriott to show their gratitude. 

impinth_llq Platinum

Thank you so much for clarifying this!

I became P in Oct 2013 with 127 nights, spent around $25k. I stayed 185 paid night in 2014, 212 paid night in 2015 spent >$75k each year but no PP in 2016. Based on your info, I was missing the 3 solid years of P before PP.

I'm very likely to stay 175+ paid night this year. I'll report back Jan 2017 and let everyone know if I get it or not.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...