8 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2014 7:45 AM by marriottmemberfromla RSS

Are Reward Points Earned for Parking Fees?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This topic comes up from time to time. Here's my take.

On a recent visit to St. Louis, I stayed at the Renaissance Grand on a promo certificate. While there, I paid for parking and had it added to my room folio. By using the certificate the room was free, but I paid for the parking on my MR visa. Looking at my MR account activity, my stay shows up but I earned zero points. I do know that at non-FS brands, points are only earned on the room rate, but I thought points were earned on every dollar spent at FS-brands such as Renaissance and Marriott.

The last time I used a promo certificate and also paid for parking was at the Marriott Bristol City Centre Hotel in the UK. During that stay, I also charged the parking to my room, and I received roughly 400 points (parking must have cost about $40 for the 2 days).

MR customer service equated parking fees to resort fees and said that neither is eligible to earn points. My experience shows inconsistent results. Sometimes parking (if charged to the room folio) earns points, sometimes not. Having read the terms and conditions of earning points, I can't find anything that excludes such fees from points eligiblity.

I would have only earned about 225 points for parking in St. Louis so I'm not really concerned that I didn't get them, but it would be nice to know if this something that is left up to individual properties or if there is some corporate policy on the issue.

Has anyone earned (or been denied) points for parking fees recently?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, Missouri, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel
Bristol, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre
  • Re: Are Reward Points Earned for Parking Fees?
    erc Platinum

As you're probably aware, points aren't awarded for third party provided services and many parking lots, especially in FS properties in cities are contracted out. That along with rate only points being awarded at Ritz,  CY, SpringHill, Fairfield, Res , TownPlace, Gaylord (and probably a couple of other brands, which I can't recall) adds to the list. As far as your specific question, I could have sworn I used to receive points for parking at FS suburban properties like Tysons Corner Marriott and Bethesda Md. Marriott Suites, (of course properties with parking I try to avoid like the plague, even renting cars at the property for a day at a time) but I don't know the specific rule and practice (which today, could easily be different).

NathalieF (meaning merb, joshm, and/or ansaa) can you tell us what the actual Terms and Condition rule is for parking?  I believe at Full Service - JW, Autograph, Ren, Marriott and Timeshares it is supposed to be for dollars spent with exceptions, like taxes, third party mentioned above, banquets charged to rooms, and gift cards (although I'm not sure if like parking, we ever really resolved - Resort Fees).

So it would be good to know the formal rule along with the actual practice of what the properties are doing, which is where this post comes in, we may be surprised to discover that like many items nowadays, it's property by property, policy or not (which is where sharing of info could prove valuable).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jmart Member

erc and the rest in this conversation: I received a bit of information that might be helpful with regard to the inconsistency you're seeing across properties. Some hotels don't own their own parking structures. In cases where it's   owned by someone else, you pay for it on your hotel bill, and then the hotel pays the parking company. Because this is a 3rd party (as you mentioned above), this scenario is what would be considered a "Paid Out", which is ineligible for points credit. 

I hope this helps clarify a bit.

erc Platinum

Aah, I love the enthusiasm of new blood, way to go jmart (this of course makes merb the ol' war horse! ).

Now, here's Part II - the harder part; a Paid Out is ineligible for points credit, how about the reverse (a Pay In?), where it's just a parking lot owned  and operated by the hotel, are those expenses eligible for points? Thanks

jmart Member

erc

I'm told that at this point in time, an overnight stay would be required to push through an incidental like that for Marriott Rewards credit. Basically, you would need to be staying at the hotel to get credit for parking as a "Pay In" situation. That's not to say that might not change in the future, but for the time being,this is the official word. Hope this helps ;-)

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

I just called Marriott and they told me "Parking does not accumulate points anywhere in US" then they went on to tell me that "due to certain locations and restrictions in areas other than the USA, certain Marriotts will include parking in the points program"

Hope that helps a little.

erc Platinum

Welcome to Insiders. That is helpful and sets the table, but as someone who has called 'Marriott' and been told, "no you can't change your MegaBonus offer or no you can't book award travel without deducting points" only to call back and receive a different (more favorable answer), I've learned not to go exclusively with a Marriott representative response.

Like bejacob observed, it can't be specifically found that non-third party parking is not eligible for points and that's why I'd still like to hear from the gang of three (merb, joshm, ansaa) what they can dig up (not that, that would be the end all either, in this current topsy turvy wild west world of policy interpretation) but it gives us something more substantive to chew on and gnash our teeth about.

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

Thanks and just called because I was booking a room and thought I could try to be of help.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I went to a nice restaurant at The Cosmopolitan and because Marriott didn't own the restaurant, I didn't get the points--kind of a bummer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...