2 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2014 1:29 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Frankfurt day trips?

travelgirl337 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I'll be in Frankfurt in June for a few days and would like to take a day trip to possibly Cologne or somewhere along the Rhine.

Does anyone know the best place to go and best way to travel? (Please be specific about trains, cruises, etc)

I'm interested in taking in the scenery, enjoying wine/beer and local cuisine.

Will be traveling with a friend. No children.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Frankfurt, Germany
  • Re: Frankfurt day trips?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

travelgirl,

I spent a half day in Frankfurt and just hung around town. I loved it.  pluto77 has some info for the Rhine, I believe.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Frankfurt day trips?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

TravelGirl,

Here's some info regarding Heidelberg as well as a ferry ride that one can do along the stretch of the Rhine River known as The Romantic Rhine.  Middle Rhine Valley travel guide - Wikitravel

heidelberg and the romantic rhine

the-romantic-rhine-and-the-legend-of-the-lorelei

Also, I loved Baden-Baden.  If you enter it in the search bar above, you'll get some good results regarding that town.

Heidelberg, A Rhine River cruise and/or Baden-Baden are all very doable day trips from Frankfurt.  I did all three by car, so am not certain about the trains, though we did catch a train from Bacharach to St. Goar so that we could take the cruise ferry down (up) the Rhine River, but you could take the train up to Koblenz and then ferry back down.  If you're interested and need help with the Rhine ferries, let me know.  As for the trains, you can take the train (DeutscheBahn) to just about anywhere from Frankfurt.

Bavaria is fantastically rich with - just so much wonderful stuff - The Romantic Road (from Wurzburg to Fussen), Nuremberg, Munich, Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the German Alps, lots of Castles... but it's a bit far for a day trip.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...