11 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2014 10:20 AM by peteruliano RSS

Deterioration in Quality of Housekeeping

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I know that we periodically bemoan the lack of adequate housekeeping of our rooms especially in the non-FS Marriotts, i.e., Residence Inns, Fairfield Inns, etc.  IMO things are not improving in that area.  When we check into a room we do not expect dust on the furniture, hair in the sinks and shower, beds not properly made.  During the stay things do not improve in the room.  Obviously, there are some properties that do an excellent job in the Housekeeping area, but they are becoming few and far between.  When Housekeeping is poor I do report it to the Property Manager in hopes things will improve for the next guests.  Am I just getting old and crotchety or have any of you experienced the same problems with Housekeeping?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Deterioration in Quality of Housekeeping
    barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

bpelican,

Good morning to you.

When you encounter these less than Marriott standards of clean properties DO NOT bother with taking your concerns to the on site managers or supervisors, these folk already know that they are not ensuring that they present a product worthy of the Marriott brand. Just call Marriott customer care. Your speaking out to the on site folk with the hopes that things will improve for the next guests will not have the impact of that e-mail and call from customer care.

Nah, you are not just getting old and crotchety, there seems to be an ever growing issue(just read the hotel reviews that scroll on the hotel review page) with the lack of care and quality at SOME of these things that have the nerve to open up for business under the Marriott banner.

At poorly managed properties housekeepers are often overworked and only allotted seconds to clean far too many rooms. If a housekeeper is cleaning at a Residence Inn, Towne Place, or any of the other brands where there are kitchens/semi kitchen facilities they just cannot get through twenty-five to thirty rooms and do a good job in their work day. All they can do and are trained to do is change towels, dump trash, replenish supplies, and toiletries. There is no vacuuming, no dusting, and a half swipe of the tub and basin with a dry towel( lucky if you get cleanser sprayed).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Getting? Ha, entering your eighth decade on this planet, an impressive and admirable accomplishment, is why I enjoy running with grandmasters like anadyr and yourself, it makes me feel young (like attending a show in Branson!); besides, it sure beats hanging with kharada and vaboy, who keep asking me what the Depression was like.

Crotchety - I certainly don't think so. Crotchety IMO, is complaining about something above the standard and baseline housekeeping isn't that. I too have observed some slippage in various properties in overall appearance (shortages of pens/paperpads, a dirty towel, a burnt out bulb, radio alarms left on and some non cleaned shower walls). Apparently as the hotel industry strengthens, some property managers have not been able to keep up (giving them the benefit of the doubt that they want to). Like many aspects of travel, housekeeping is added to the list of activities we the traveler can no longer take for granted (but like you write, fortunately it's still the minority of properties) and it's often not related to brand, category, or room rate.

The housekeepers in my longer term stays are as important to me as the front desk upgrade gatekeeper. I frequently swap towels and secure additional coffees (in spite of popular opinion, I can handle the in room version - must be the beer ) vs. having anyone enter the room, so a fresh start is vital.

Oh well, as you would be one of the first to say, "may this be our biggest concern as we gleefully travel across the universe".

Thanks for your kind words and thoughtful incite.  Many times, especially on a short stay, I will instruct housekeeping that they can skip my room and grab some fresh towels.  This is basically what they do anyway at many properties.  We shall overcome one way or another!

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

I agree with you entirely but nothing will get done about it unless when we see something we complain. Simple as that if no one complains or does not want to make a scene then no one will know of the problem and it will keep happening. They should send a Manager to check to see if a room is "Ready" and by Manager I mean a GM or SM not a housekeeping Manager.

No question about it, we need to get Management involved and we need to keep reporting it.

Call Marriott, period. These on site "managers" are often well aware of what is going on, or not going on, on these not up to Marriott standard properties.

Good luck with getting a GM or ASTM to walk these properties on a consistent basis. These some of these "managers" have one goal in mind; getting to their next assignment with minimal flak from staffers and guests! Complain and you might get the eye roll treatment or the look of fake surprise that "their" property has an issue.  

You are probably right, unfortunately.  Think you may have a shot with them if you are a frequent patron at the same property.  Best bet as you suggested above is to feedback to Marriott Corporate.

I am in the Property Management industry (Apartments) and one thing we have to do all the time is make sure the apartments are "Turned" and in "Make ready" Condition. This should not only apply to Apartments but Hotels as well. If Service is not doing the job efficiently Management should walk the unit. This is key to Customer Satisfaction and Service and there should be no excuses ever. 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

These are all good responses. I have to agree that when you see subpar service you must speak up. If you don't nothing will change. You can't assume management knows about issues. Even if they do, the best course of action is to let both the property know as well as Guest Services.

This article outlines how Marriott cleans rooms. Its an older article but sheds some light on the process...

Ready, Set, Clean! Secrets To Cleaning A Marriott Hotel Room - Forbes

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...