12 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2014 8:05 AM by wesleywc RSS

TownePlace Suites?

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am staying at a TownePlace suites in Manchester,NH on the 30th and I have never stayed at one before. I am curious to see what all of you MRIs think of TownePlace suites? I am kind of nervous being as I have heard mixed reviews from people. My Father has always told me TownePlace suites are the worst and usually dingy and dirty and old , is any of that true? Should I be nervous? What am I in for?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: TownePlace Suites?
    Platinum 4 Reviews

Some TownePlace Suites are okay to stay at for a extended stay, but they are few and far between. If your only staying a day or so, you may get lucky and have a good experience.

I won't stay at a TPS anymore unless the hotel was built in or after 2010. The earmarks for the older TPS are thin walls and floors (you hear every door slam, every time someone walks across their room), people smoking inside their room is always a problem despite the ban and penalty), strong food smells linger, the upkeep of the hotels seems to be lacking, the furnishings are usually dated, stained, worn, and old, people tend to live in the older TPS's (and I don't mean a extended stay business type person) who seem oblivious to the fact that standing outside your door and having a conservation at 2am might infringe on ones right to quite enjoyment of their room. I usually have billing problems at TPS's and the pool (if it has one) is more of a sound/party magnet nuisance than a refreshing dip in the pool after work.

I've only had one positive TPS experience, 3 indifferent experiences, and 9 absolutely horrible experiences all at different TPS's. My suggestion, spend the extra money and stay at a Residence Inn (if available). While all hotels can and do have these same problems mentioned above, they're usually the exception and not the rule.

To be blunt, most TownePlace Suites suck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

You hit it out of the park!!!!

catbert2 Silver 2 Reviews

I stayed in a TownePlace Suites for 6 months when my house was being renovated and I loved it!  I had spent the prior month in a bedbug infested Holiday Inn with horrible service so TPS was a true breath of fresh air.   The TPS in Clinton, MD was brand new - my son and I were the first guests and we had the hotel to ourselves for about 3 weeks.  Needless to say, the service was excellent and this did not change when they were at full capacity.  The hotel was always spotless, the staff was super attentive and really made you feel like family.  The staff even supplemented the offerings available at hotel-sponsored events - using personal funds to purchase additional decorations, bringing cooked dishes, making goodie bags for kids - anything to make us feel like home.  Although I was glad to get back into my house, I missed my interaction with my TPS 'family.'  It's been 3 years and I still pop in occasionally to visit.  Subsequent stays at this TPS have not changed my opinion of the hotel or the staff.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had both sides of the TPS coin.  Most recently was a brand new place near the Tampa FL airport.  Great property for sure.  The one you are heading to, I've not stayed at but have driven past.  I think its newer but has been around a bit if its the one I'm thinking of in that area.  Like anything it could be a great or horrible experience.  I always travel with a plan b in my head for the horrible times.  Fortunately I've only had to use it twice but wasn't at a TPS

I'm not sure if you have to be in Manchester or if you can venture out a little from there but we just put a few nights into the Courtyard Nashua and it was an excellent property.  As an added bonus when other properties that weekend were hosting various parties, this one was hosting the AA groups.  Bar was closed early, conf rooms were open all night and I've been to louder monasteries  

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

If this is the TPS by the airport, I can tell you I have heard good things about it.  And I believe it is fairly new.  I have not stayed at this location myself (I've frequented the Fairfield Inn in Manchester for over 10 years and am a regular there), but have stayed in others in NH and other states and have never had any issues.  NH is my "neck of the woods."  If you need any local info, I would be happy to help you!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I have stayed at the one near the airport when I had a 5AM flight and it was just fine

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Yes, jerryl, there's nothing like waking up at a Marriott property and catching their shuttle to the nearby airport.  It makes travel that much easier!

superchief1 Platinum

I've had good extended stay experiences during relocations. My first was in Fenton, MO several years ago, and my second was in Columbus North last year. The rooms were clean and comfortable, staffs were very helpful, and the value made this a much better choice than alternatives in the area. Although I don't usually use them for short stays or business travel, they are a good alternative for personal travel with the exception of some older properties. They are often in a complex with a Courtyard or FFI, and typically are of similar age. If the TPS is old and rundown, the Courtyard and FFI in the area are also substandard.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

If there is a Residence Inn alternative nearby just stay there. I have heard that the newer Towne Place Suites are of a better built quality; but quality means nothing if the culture of a place(management) is lacking.

It used to be a taken that any property with the Marriott label was the industry standard; not any more, and I am one who will try to only stay at the Marriott brands. Best to you.

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

Thanks I usually do pick the Residence inn but There is none in that area where I am going. There is a Courtyard on the same property but I am going with a business partner and I prefer to have my own bedroom.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

peteruliano,  Welcome to MRI.

My experience is similar to others that if the Towneplace Suites is newer (per wesleywc's comment above) it is typically good quality.  You might find the "Reviews" section of the site helpful as you consider particular TPS properties.

Platinum 4 Reviews

Don't be fooled by the people who have stayed at one or two TPS's or a newer TPS and believe they know the TPS brand. I'm a big Marriott fan, but most older TPS suck. The Manchester TPS was built in 2000....the reviews for that hotel are on this website and speak volumes.  If you're going to stay there anyway ask for the top floor and I hope you have a fantastic stay.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...