39 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2015 7:41 PM by superchief1 RSS

bejacob & jerrycoin relax in STL!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What a wonderful time it was to relax and share some MRI "Travel Tales" together! 

Meeting at the beautiful Renaissance Grand in St. Louis, we visited and then went across the street to a most interesting "Dubliner Gastropub"!

Our first meeting together was a riot of laughs, stories, and appreciation for having been lucky enough to have the experiences we have had.  He is on a mission to visit every county in America, get a picture of The County Seat, and mail a postcard from the local PO back to him.  He is so well organized and has the ability, (I don't), to utilize modern communications to help him in his quest.  Likewise, I shared with him my goal to meet and exchange travel stories and experiences with all the MRI's I can meet in the World.  What a wonderful group of people I have met so far!

A point of interest that IAHFLYR, would have enjoyed and may someday participate in was the concern we had for proper "Medicines"!  I know it is not wise to SHARE medicine but today, we broke this rule.  bejacob, brought me some wonderful "Watershed Distillery Vodka", a Columbus, Ohio, local distillery.  At 80 proof, it is a proven "Germ Killer", thank goodness for modern medicine!  Likewise, I reciprocated with some Champagne, brought back from Reims, France, to help bejacob "Fight off" the dangers of "Dry throat", from extended road trips.  It is a most serious malady, no cure, with the exception of fine French Champagne.  Here are a couple photo's,

IMG_4118.JPG

The beautiful setting of The Renaissance in STL, make for a great place to meet!

IMG_4119.JPG

The "Medicine Exchange" is a surprise feature of the "Get Together"!  All over a burger and some Irish Stew!  Can't wait to do it again.  Have a wonderful trip, bejacob!.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St Louis, Missouri, USA
La Plata, Missouri, USA
  • Re: bejacob & jerrycoin relax in STL!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

How cool that you guys pulled the meeting off.  I'm sure the stories were great and with the special distilled medicine in hand you're set for a while.  You guys look younger and younger with each picture, thank you for sharing your meet and greet with us.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

IAHFLYR,

The "Medicine" is on the table!

What else would we do at a place called "The Dubliner"!

We had a "Wee" small toast to you! (It was a gallon!)

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

They keep looking younger and younger because they are using the medicinal restoring/preservative technique!

Sledchick,

Absolutely true!

You have found our "Secret out"!

Don't tell anyone!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Very cool that you guys were able to catch up !  It's always nice to meet up with other Insiders and be able to share travel stories.  Thanks for sharing!

vaboywnder,

Thank-you!

Bejacob and me had a contest to see who could tell the "Biggest tale"!  We tied!

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Very cool!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Bravo guys!

rinny & shoeman,

Thank-you, and wish you could have been there!

Shoe, headed to Washington, Mo tonight!  Watching the weather first, it looks pretty rough there!

superchief1 Platinum

I just returned from a 'rail cruise' combined with Marriott stays that I plan to post about in the near future after our 'budget process' is done and I have more free time. I had dinner on the train with a very interesting couple from Houston who are also trying to visit every county in the US. I only recently achieved last of the 50 states, so I am very impressed with this 'quest'. Bejacob, good luck with your journeys. Train travel can help you cover many remote counties in one trip.

superchief1,

Wow, that does sound like a wonderful experience!

That is a great idea to use the train to cover many remote parts of America.  Had never thought of it before, but when you look at where some of the AMTRAK routes go, it sure looks like an idea worth thinking about.  One could rent a car, or ? from that point.

To give you an idea, look at this recent AMTRAK stop, I witnessed in La Plata, MO.  (You may have a hard time finding it on the map).

IMG_3920.jpg

Might be the way to go, on some of the trips!

Location Brand Hotel
      La Plata, Missouri, USA
        eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

How to Get Cheap Amtrak Tickets | USA Today

How to Save on Amtrak Ticket Prices | USA Today

My youngest son and I took a train trip about 21 years ago from SC to San Francisco, CA when my husband was working there for a year.  At the time, one could go across all 3 regions of the country for $289 and 1/2 price for children under 15 or 16 with a parent. You had 2 mos. to take the trip and could get off at 3 different points from whatever time period you wanted at each of the 3.

superchief1 Platinum

I wish Amtrak would bring back the 'See America' fares. This is a great way to see the country. I think they still offer this to foreigners, but not within the USA. On my recent trip on the CA Zephyr. I met people from Germany, UK, Greece, New Zealand, Australia, and China. If you want to see the best scenery, I recommend the CA Zephyr from Denver to SF, and the Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA.

Amtrak often offers reasonable fares from KC to STL and it can be better than driving for only 1 person. I hate that stretch of I-70 and have seen many fatal accidents (most involving semis.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm back home now, but had a wonderful visit with jerrycoin. I'm looking forward to similar opportunities as I travel around the country. Current plans put me in madmax territory in August.

The lunch meeting was great (as was the Renaissance). I'll get a blog post up later in the week. I've got lots to tell and photos to share. I have to check my tally, but I think I added 51 counties bringing my total to 1,001. I'll crunch the numbers to make sure (an occupational hazard of being an accountant ).

One thing Mr. Coin and I realized is that that even though we met face to face for the first time, we already knew each other because of the this community. (How else do you think I knew what kind of "medicine" to bring?)

bejacob,

Glad you made it back in good shape!

Congratulations on the successful trip!

You are always welcome here!

Can't wait to read more of your adventures with Mr. Coin, and of course about the "meds"!!!

I'm waiting for all the supporting documentation (postcards) from my trip to arrive (can you tell I've been doing some auditing lately?). A little over a third have arrived and I'm pleased to add Indiana to the list of states of which I have mailed and recieved postcards from every county seat. That makes 6 states (OH, DE, AZ, SC, & KY are the others). Assuming everything I sent arrives, I'll add Illinois by the end of the week.

Also, by being in St. Louis on Sunday night, I have now stayed at Marriott properties in 22 states . If current plans don't change, that will jump to 26 by the end of the year.

I'm reveiwing the photos I took over the weekend deciding which ones to include in my blog. I'll probably wait another day or two to allow a few more postcards to arrive, but will certainly get an update posted by the weekend.

bejacob,

Glad you not only made it back, but you are reaping the rewards of your trip!

You're going to 22 different states this year, that is going to create a lot of "Travel Experiences"

No, I've stayed at Marriott properties in 22 states (over the last 3 or so years), but you may be somewhat prescient.

I've already be in 13 states since January (OH, KY, TN, AL, GA, WV, VA, NC, SC, MI, IN, IL, and MO).

I plan on visiting these states during the months ahead (PA, NY, VT, TX, OK, KS, NM, MD, DE) which would bring my total up to 22 in 2014 (I also expect to visit D.C.).

No matter. I've already had some great travel experiences this year and I expect to have more over the next few months.

Hard to hit a moving target I always said!

Do you know where you'll be in Texas as yet?

I'm anticipating flying into DFW and then driving to OKC. As I work my way across western Oklahoma, I will attempt to collect as much of the area around Amarillo as I can as well, perhaps as far south as Lubbock (I'm still finalizing that plan). Southern and eastern TX will have to wait for another time, but when I do get to IAH, I promise to let you know .

Please let me know when you'll be coming to VT, bejacob, as my town borders VT and I'd love to meet you (even if only for 5 minutes while passing through)!

I will. Current plans have me in upstate NY in late June. I hope to venture across that border of VT to visit Middlebury, Burlington, and North Hero, but nothing farther east yet. At some point, my travels will take me to Newport, NH. Right now I have no idea when that will be.

In case you are curious, I expect to be in Burlington, VT late morning (sometime between 10:30 and noon) on Friday, June 20. I wish I could be more specific, but much depends on how early I start and how long my stops last.

When I make plans to get into NH, I'll let you know. Most of my 2014 travels are scheduled, but I have no idea where I will go next year (probably at least one trip somewhere west since I have so much territory to cover out there). New England will likely require more than one trip to explore (at least it will if I want to enjoy what the area has to offer).

The actual old courthouse in Newport (NH, not VT) is the Old Courthouse Restaurant!  Fine food there.

I completely understand how your schedule can be quite varied.  June 20th is my son's last day of school and it's a 1/2 day; then we have to go to Waterbury Center, VT for 5 p.m.  Let me know when we get closer to the time how you think this trip will pan out and we'll see what we can do!

Will do.

Hey Sledchick. Schedule change brought on by work constraints. Will now be in Burlington, VT on Friday 6/6 (two weeks earlier than planned). Not sure that will be any better for you, but wanted to let you know.

Actually that IS better!  When we get closer, let me know of the timing.   Thanks!!

Have a wonderful time!

BTW, bejacob, just finished the "Medicine" you brought over from Columbus!

I had to "Shave" twice a day, as it was "Powerful", but very good!

Thought maybe it was the "Full Moon", but no, it was that "Tonic"!

As promised, I've updated my blog now that all 52 postcards have arrived (Meet Me in St. Louis). It was quite a successful and enjoyable trip.

blava007 Platinum

bejacob,

Wow what an interesting undertaking to visit 3,138 US Counties and County Seats.   Have fun along the way !  

ScreenHunter_410 May. 23 21.44.jpg

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Those 18 counties in AK must be HUGE!!!!

ansaa Member

Awesome! I love when Insiders are able to get together. So cool jerrycoin and bejacob!

ansaa,

Thani-you!

It's always a pleasure to meet other MRI'S!  A "Classy group"!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Loved this post.  Congratulations on a great time.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

How neat! It's so good to hear about Insiders getting together. Glad you both enjoyed the 'meds' you shared....

Happy Travels!

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Good luck finishing your county tour. Very ambitious. If you ever get back to St. Louis, try Pappy's Smokehouse--one of the country's very best BBQ places.

mmmia,

Headed down to Pappy's today!

Great place to spend a Memorial Week-End Saturday!

Most enjoyable!  Just hope they "Don't Run out of BBQ, before I get there!

Thanks for the post, it was a great reminder!