7 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2014 9:13 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Paris, "Shopping Tips"!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Shopping was never something I enjoyed, but, as most guys like me, agree on certain things.  One of them is you "Do what you have to do", and you act like you enjoy it!

Shopping in Paris can be exhausting due to the enormous crowds, lack of familiarity with stores, costs, not only of the products, but getting there and back, as well.  I find Department Stores the most "Challenging", as thousands of tourists from all over the World are trying to buy that "Special item for others as well as for them".  Let me start with,

DEPARTMENT STORES

There are two main ones, Printempts & Galleries Lafayette, both are a short walk from each other and both have a lot of similarities.

IMG_3971.JPG

This photo does not do justice to the volume of people in Galleries Lafayette!  Some departments actually have lines of people waiting to get into certain departments.  These people are in line to buy Longchamp handbags!  This is a nice store, but, this place is a "Stress Test", and I was "Flunking"!

The next day, our driver and The Concierge had a solution.  At NO extra charge, you could use on of the English speaking "Store Guide", who will help you shop, and just as important, get you into a private room to apply for your "Tax Refund"!  Tax refunds can save you plenty, but have to be done correctly at any store, if you fill the correct form out on purchases of over 175 Euro's, THAT DAY!  You will then take that form to the point of your departure. (More on that later).

Both stores have these "Guides", here is,

IMG_3977.jpg

Near the entrance to Galleries Lafayette, you will find this desk.  One of the greeters will call a "Guide" for you!

IMG_3978.jpg

Our "Guide" Camille, helped us pick out a nice gift!  This was the way to shop.  Saving time and money.  She also took care of our "Tax Forms"

IMG_3979.jpg

Camille actually carries your purchased goods to your car! 

BTW, Gal. Laf. is very beautiful inside,

IMG_3973.jpg

This is looking at the beautiful ceiling, above the cosmetic departments!

One thing I liked about both stores was their dining facilities.  Printempts had a very nice casual cafe in their basement, and a formal dining area on the high floor.

IMG_3974.JPG

This very clean and comfortable "Snack Bar" was a welcoming place to sit for awhile, have something to dine on or drink!

Now, before discussing "Botique Shopping", let me share a tip that will save you time and money!  When departing from CDG, you may no longer have to "Wait in line" to get your "Tax Refund"!  Look for the "Tax Refund Bar Code Reader", it looks like this!

IMG_4105.jpg

Laurent, is a wonderful driver, as well as guide!  I would never have known.

BOTIQUE SHOPPING

This is really a lot of fun in Paris, as the shopping areas are most interesting.  A walk down Rue St. Honore, is wonderful for "Window Shopping" for designer items.  Be prepared for real "Sticker Shock" on prices in that area.  However, "Their are fascinating places to shop throughout Paris.  Here are some favorites.

IMG_3967.JPG

Jacamanda, is a wonderful place to buy inexpensive gifts and jewelry items.  Small, but well stocked!

IMG_3969.JPG

Wide variety of interesting items!

IMG_3968.jpg

Paris is full of friendly staff members, like Jerome, who are "Multi-Lingual and helpful!

IMG_4003.JPG

Some of the finest chocolate in Paris is made and sold here!

IMG_4004.JPG

NO, those are NOT SHOES, but actually edible CHOCOLATE shoes!  You will see many "Unique" displays in Paris!

If you have questions, stories or photo's to share as well, please do!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: Paris, "Shopping Tips"!
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Very nice, jerrycoin!  I hope the Mrs. scored some wonderful mementos.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Sledchick,

She did well, Thank-you!

One tip I forgot to share is The Concierge has some Paris Maps, Printed by Printemps.  Inside the map packet is a coupon to save you 10% on items purchased at Printempts.

That can add up!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

We gals love coupons!

Sledchick,

This coupon can save you a lot of money!

We are real "Coupon Clippers" as well!

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

Amazing tips but what exactly is this tax refund?

peter,

There is about a 20% VAT that is added to the items you purchase in France.  If a person documents the purchase with the proper paperwork,(Must do it the day of purchase, on goods over 175 Euros),  you will also need your passport as well, you can get that money back when you leave the country.  So on a $1000 worth of goods you will get cash or your cc credited for the "Overpayment" you made.  That is only when you leave the country for non-citizens!

Worth checking out and being prepared.

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

Thanks for answering !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...