25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2014 2:54 PM by scladylinks RSS

Upgrades

prowler Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I'm a Gold member and is it me or everyone that has to ask and/or beg for a free upgrade?  I really HATE having to always ask and more times than not get turned down.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Zurich, Switzerland Marriott Hotels & Resorts Zurich Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Upgrades
    peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

Arent you entitled to a free upgrade? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I pretty much always ask and it seems to me it is often decided right then by the front desk staff. If the system sees a room located over a trash dumpster near the highway they will give that to you just because the system put you there but if you ask for an upgraded room they will always look to improve your room. I agree that asking shouldn't be necessary but I honestly believe the system puts you in a room and a person has to change it. I find that at full service Marriott's when you use the virtual concierge and request a room upgrade you often get it. I have done it twice recently, once at a Courtyard in NJ where I received a nice corner room and most recently at the San Juan Marriott in Puerto Rico. I was given a beautiful 18th floor corner room with balconies one oceanfront and one pool view. Keep asking and I promise you will receive better rooms. Keep your head up and keep asking...it will pay off.

scladylinks Gold 3 Reviews

WWhen I ask, I'm always told that I was in an upgraded room. Sorry to say, the room is never upgraded. Upgraded is just a word, doesn't mean anything real.

ansaa Member

Hello prowler -

We are sorry to hear of your frustration.  All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. The request for a room upgrade can be placed on your profile; however, the best way to ensure that you are given an upgrade if one is available is to verify with the front desk at check-in. As ks77 mentioned the best thing to do at the moment is to always ask.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

vickisocal Platinum

This is directly contradictory to what we were told in the Mobile App checkin thread. If it requires intervention from the front desk clerk to get an upgrade, elites should NOT use the mobile app to check in, or we will not get upgraded.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

At my stay at the San Juan Marriott I used the virtual congierge and requested and upgrade. I then checked in on the mobile app the day before even before leaving my home for the outbound flight. When I arrived they informed me that I had indeed been upgraded.

ansaa Member

Hello vickisocal -

After speaking with our Customer Service team they have ensured us that the Marriott check-in app does NOT affect your upgrades. Marriott Rewards confirmed there is no change to their current benefits and that upgrades to Gold and Platinum members will be given upon availability, as they have always done, regardless of how the guest is checking in.

Hope this helps clarify a little more!

superchief1 Platinum

ansaa,

How can the request for an upgrade be added to my profile. I previously would always include a note in my reservation "platinum upgrade would be greatly appreciated', but now can't find where to put the note (after changes to Marriott.com), and seldom get a pre-arrival email any more.

My upgrade experiences have substantially decreased over the past few years even though I am Lifetime Platinum.

ansaa Member

Hello superchief1,

Unfortunately, there is no way to add this request to your Marriott Rewards profile. However, there is always a place on Marriott.com to add this note. When booking rooms online, on the "Guest Information" screen there is a section under "Address" labeled "Comments". There is a 45 character limit in this section, but all comments are always read by the hotel you are making your reservation at.

We have passed along your idea to be able to add requests such as this to your Marriott Rewards profile to our team. In addition, as a Lifetime Platinum guest you will always have priority for a complimentary upgrade. The hotels may need reminding from time to time, but in general they do their best to upgrade our most loyal guests.

sash19 Platinum 1 Reviews

I always ask for an upgrade purely because I don't always trust the front desk to check and provide the upgrade. Some are great about it and some flat out ignore it based on my own personal experiences. I think marriott.com needs a box to click for them when making a reservation just like an airline.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I have also gotten into the habit of asking for upgrades at check-in if the Front Desk agent has already mentioned it.  If it is a quick one night stay I may not bother asking but if I'm going to be at the location for 2 nights or longer I usually ask.  Most desk clerks don't mind checking and will try to accommodate you if they can.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

With "only" a Gold status, automatic upgrades will be fewer. Consider how easy it is to attain Gold which still leaves you short of Platinum and Platinum Premier status (both of whom would get first dibs on upgrades).

This is the "dilution effect" of creating status levels that are too easy to attain.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I recommend being nice and personable with the front desk agent at check in, maybe greeting them by their name (name tag) and of course being a polite costumer not seeming too demanding. some get recognition if mentioned in surveys so knowing there's a chance you might mention them positively, they may be more willing to do something about the upgrade.

oxymoronic Platinum 3 Reviews

I am often staying at the Zurich Marriott.   I have noticed that since reaching Gold status, I do appear to be being automatically upgraded to larger corner units.   However, I would make two comments here. 

1.   The hotel has large numbers of different room types ranging from small rooms in an annex building through regular rooms, through larger rooms, through corner rooms all the way through to the suites.

2.  What is missing is any acknowledgement of the upgrade.  Without having previously stayed at the hotel several times, I would be unaware that the room was an upgrade.  It is not a suite, it is not hugely larger than a typical hotel room, it's not a significantly higher room.  I only know and appreciate the space having previously stayed in the smaller roooms and knowing that Zurich hotel rooms are typically tiny.   I think others have commented that they weren't upgraded at this hotel.   My guess is that they probably were, just not to a suite.

I'll comment further when I reach Platinum later this year.  It'll be interesting to see if they reserve an even better class of upgrade here.

vickisocal Platinum

If you want to know if you got an upgrade look at and note the type of room you reserved in the room details in your reservation when you book it. Then look at it after you check in and see if it is the same. The Zurich Marriott has 4 types of non-suite rooms

Single Room- 204 sq ft

Superior Room (also called executive room if on concierge level)- 269 sq ft

Deluxe Room- 312 sq ft

Grand Superior Room- 366 sq ft

In addition to this they have several suites.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I often when booking see a room with queen or king but not upgraded but then when I do on line check in and relook it will have upgraded to say concierge 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

oxymoronic,

Here is something you might enjoy!  I checked in to The Zurich Marriott, the first room I really did not like.  As usual, kept my luggage at the bell stand, and went back to the front desk.  They did show me another room that was larger and had a great view, I took it, and the room was on points!

IMG_1472.JPG

This was a very nice room, not a suite, but very comfortable!

IMG_1473.JPG

View from room!

IMG_1523.JPG

The area around the Marriott was fun!

Enjoy your stay's there!

Location Brand Hotel
      Zurich, Switzerland Marriott Hotels & Resorts Zurich Marriott Hotel
        vickisocal Platinum

We loved the Zurich Marriott. Stayed there when it was a Cat 6. Got a great corner room with views in two directions. And the lounge has amazing food. I'm afraid I gorged on their pastries.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I loved the Zurich Marriott and their wonderful exec lounge!!!

I was upgraded to a larger room with very nice view of the river and lake beyond.  There are pics here on MRI of my room (somewhere).

oxymoronic Platinum 3 Reviews

im sitting in the EL lounge right now at the Marriott Zurich drinking my free wine at 930pm!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

oxymoronic,

Enjoy the glass of vino!

That's about a $20-25 glass if you step out of the CL!

Things were running about 4 times what they go for here in the US!

That is a "Full Service Lounge"!

Have a great stay in Zurich!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

And a similar experience is to be found at The Moscow Royal Aurora with lengthy "happy hours" in the exec lounge and very expensive local drinks and food out.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I get an automatic upgrade without asking 9 times out of 10 or better. I'm not shy about asking if I don't get a suite or better.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Both as gold and plat I've never had any problems with the upgrade policy, and find I'm upgraded on the vast majority of my stays. My latest stay was 2 rooms at the Ren Barcelona Fira, both rooms were upgraded, one to a junior suite. Most Marriott hotels have few suites so if you're judging upgrade success by suite upgrades you'll be disappointed, but corner rooms, exec rooms, superior rooms, concierge floor, these are all common experiences since I turned gold 6 or 7 years ago...

As for upgrades via the app checkin, I've only used it once, again on a booking for 2 rooms this time at the Brussels Marriott. Both rooms were upgraded to the best rooms on each floor with a view over the Bourse.

Having been on flyertalk for several years and with these types of post regularly occurring it seems, anecdotally at least, that international properties do far better on the upgrade front that US. I suspect this is probably because the gold and plat levels are much harder and more expensive to attain here in Europe, hence elite golds and plats are a rarer sight, leading to less competition for upgrades. I can honestly confirm that I am upgraded on almost all of my stays without ever needing to ask.

superchief1 Platinum

brightybob,

From what I have read here and on flyertalk, it definitely appears that International Marriott properties are more likely to upgrade platinum and gold members than those in the US. Platinum benefits and CL's definitely appear to be much better on your side of the pond. I received frequent upgrades with Marriott (and Hyatt) when I traveled in Europe several years ago, and I hope you can continue to enjoy upgrades.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...