9 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2014 11:17 AM by pluto77 RSS

Mother's Day Dinner 2014

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Since I was recovering from surgery Monday of this week, the normal feasting was in the hands of my lovely wife.  We had purchased a leg of lamb form Costco (does't everyone buy there?. She and I made Pommes Anna together. I worked the mandoline.  And we had poached asparagus from the local farmer's market.

lamb.jpgThe lamb was roasted with Rosemary from the back yard, garlic and of course the obligatory Bourbon based gravy.

Pommes.jpg

The Anna was made with Gruyere from Trader Joe's, and lots of other good things.

DSCN1738.JPG

My contribution to the feast was opening this 91 rated 2009 Tobin James Zinfandel, which at 55$ and 16% alcohol was a bigger splurge than usual for us.

We are members of the James Gang wine club and this was a shipment was last year.  The grapes are from the Dusi Vineyard in Paso Robles, an 80 year old wine growing location started during Prohibiiton.

Dusi dry farms their vines, meaning that the roots are much deeper and the grapes themselves are much smaller.  But this combination gives the wine a jammy fruitiness that is unmatched in most new world Zins.

So Mrs A was feted in style for this Mother's Day. Hope everyone else was similarly treated.

dusi.jpgDusi is located on Highway 46 West in Paso, the same road James Dean was riding on when he was killed. And not because of the wines I might add.  Dusi makes grapes for lots of other vintners but Tobin James (also on 46 but the Eastern part) seems to have it best in hand.

Paso Robles is home to some of California’s oldest and most distinguished Zinfandel vineyards, including this one, the Dante Dusi Vineyard, planted in 1945, the Pesenti Vineyard, planted in 1922, and the Uerberroth Vineyard, planted in 1885.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paso Robles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Paso Robles
  • Re: Mother's Day Dinner 2014
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Those are fantastic photo's and surly a wonderful meal!

James Dean signed his last "Autograph", which was a ticket, and your story of the wine is most interesting.

Please re-coop in a hurry, and keep the stories coming! 

Am enjoying the first of your three books, and am going to keep reading right now!

Take care, and take it easy, for now!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What a wonderful looking meal topped off with some splendid sounding wine. Get well soon and thanks for making us all hungry again!

Thanks, I gave the BBQ a rest--too mich effort for my "weakened" condition  Can't make this infirmity last as long as I want, Post op checkup today so Mrs. A. is anxious to have me back in the kitchen full time.

Trust the checkup will go well and you will be joining me in the backyard this afternoon while I fire up the smoker.

We certainly hope so.  He needs to give me a green or if not that a yellow loihgt.

Yellow light for a time--blah!!!

Sorry to read that, but yellow light is much better than a red light with a gate.

Or being in a bird strike or near drone miss, I suppose.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hope you're back in the saddle in no time, and glad it was a good Mother's Day for Mrs. A.  We grilled at my Dad's.  I'll post about it later in the grilling thread.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...