18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2014 5:25 AM by profchiara RSS

rive gauche paris - bit the bullet, maybe

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Probably in an attempt to avoid surgery (I am seeing my surgeon in Portland Monday, but realized when there was an 8 month minimum recovery period for arm/hand and even possible neurosurgery, I went ahead and made it impossible to do so (6 scheduled flights to Europe between now and December 31st.  I'm not scared of surgery (my big toe is all metal, and I have had a number of other surgeries, but it's the recovery period, with inability to use affected joints and limbs).  I realized nearly at age 62, my research will only be partially funded while I am still teaching. My minimum retirement age is 66 and my desired age is 70.  So since I'm embarking on a major new book project I want to maximize both my ability to travel and my ability to get it subsidized.

So, to make a long story short, I have sabotaged any attempts at operating on me in the near future.

What I have done (never thought I would, and could still change it), is book Paris the last week of June to the 1st of July at the Rive Gauche.  As oldtimers among you know I loved and raved about the Rive Gauche Marriott after many stays there. Then one rewards stay and one person ruined everything about 5 years ago -- a truly horrible, nasty desk woman, and getting stuck in a cubbyhole of a room looking down on the southern industrial side of Paris (while I was Platinum Premier, no less).  I have not stayed there since, even though I love the 13th/14th arrondissements because that's where I lived (rue Corvisart) in the 1980s doing my dissertation research.

So I'm going to give it another chance.  It's not particularly cheaper than good hotels in the Latin Quarter, where I also like to stay, but it's close to the Bibliothèque Nationale and Place d'Italie as well as connections to CDG.  If they give me a decent room and treat me well this time I might decide to start staying there again.

I can probably look it up but if anyone has stayed there recently, any thoughts? How is the Concierge Lounge and breakfast?'Thanks, ProfChiar;Pari

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
Paris
  • Re: rive gauche paris - bit the bullet, maybe
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Oh Professor!  I know how your health prevents you from doing things sometimes; I'm glad to hear you've planned an agressive research schedule.  I will keep my fingers crossed that you'll have good health and "smooth sailing."  So, my first question is, do you know if that unhappy Marriott employee is still at the Rive Gauche?  I hope not!  Can you contact the manager and find out (if you haven't done so already)?  Second question is, can you divulge any details on the topic of your new book?  Third question, how much longer will you be able to put the surgery off (besides until the end of the year)?  -Sledchick

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

professor

Congratulations for making such a "Bold Choice" to get your surgery and move on with your life!  Likewise, that seems like a great move to book you trips now, and have a "Whole lot" to look forward to, both personally and professionally!

Your stamina and desires remind me of a person I saw a beautiful statue of yesterday at "The Cathedral in Reims, France".  She was a "Fighter" that you know of, all too well!

IMG_4042.JPG

Joan of Arc!

To quote a famous line, "May the Force, be with you" and of course, Heaven as well!

Thanks, sledchick and Jerry,

Thank you so much for your good thoughts!  Jerry, aren't you in Paris now? Alas, I don't know if she's there.  She 'got rid of me' so quickly at check-in I didn't get to see her name.  I've seen mostly positive reviews since, so I probably will go for it.  I don't go to Paris very often any more so getting a really nice boutique hotel like I do in other places doesn't matter as much to me.

As for the surgery, I'll see what the surgeon says Monday. But since many of the measures I have taken myself seem to have helped (applying KT pro tape to my arms and hands [I've had so much PT I know how to do it]; sleeping differently; taking L-Glutamine which some studies have shown to help nerve damage; and using Dragon Dictate software), I'm going to try to defer it as long as possible.  Fifteen years ago one neurosurgeon told me I had to have my neck fused completely, but he wanted his colleague to see me for a second opinion. The colleague said that since the drugs were controlling it for now, I could wait.  I still have to take drugs, but this shows delaying can work.  Besides, with changes in medical science if I manage to hold it off to near retirement, I'll maximize my research trips and writing.

Thanks for the photo of Joan, Jerry! 

Cheers,

ProfChiara

professor,

Thank-you for the note!

Am in Paris and leaving  tomorrow! 

Will have more for you later!

Good luck on your upcoming Dr. visit's!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

ProfC,

You have probably stayed there more recently than I (my only stay there was in '07), so I'm sure I can't offer anything useful.  We had no status then anyway (and I'll probably be back to silver by next year).  Our stay was mostly nice, including all of the staff that we encountered.  One lady in the 1st floor boutique was kind enough to stand around and help me with my French when I mixed up the word for hair with the word for horse, which we had a laugh over.

Our room was hot (which made the week somewhat miserable for me - I never felt clean or fresh... "I'm sorry, it is impossible for us to move you as we are full.").

Well, I would just say that hopefully you encountered "one bad apple" and this time will be much better.  One person who might be able to weigh in is blava007.  I believe they did a stay there fairly recently.

I have a stay booked at the Courtyard in the Boulogne suburb next Spring (if I want to keep returning, I've got to "do it on the cheap.")

Santé,

P

professor,

Wow!

I looked up prices during that period, and they are all over the board.

Is RG close to your work, or could you consider another "Consistent" property?

AdT is double the price of RG, but Ren. La Defense is about the same.

Just a thought!  If AdT was even close, I would personally speak with the folks here, but they are about double the price during that period.

Good luck!

Hi Jerry,

Sorry you have to leave Paris so soon! I did check all of the prices including the Courtyard St.-Denis, but then read some of the reviews on tripadvisor. Actually, the Rive Gauche is a very close to the  Pantheon and the Bibliothèque Nationale, which is why I stayed there for so many years. And it's not a far walk to the Latin Quarter and Notre Dame. Getting there from the airport is also a piece of cake, as the RER goes to Denfert  Rochefereau and even has an elevator. So unless I'm offered some great deal by hotels.com, Expedia etc. in the Latin Quarter, the Ile-de-la-Cité or the  Marais in the interim, I'll probably stick with it.

Thanks all for the best wishes! I'll keep you posted.

ProfChiara

professor,

Totally understand!

If I could get you a great deal here, I would!

Good luck again, on the "Recovery", and stay in touch!

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Profchiara, as you can see this is not a timely response to your post, but I was thinking last week what ever happened to the Prof--now I know.  Over the years I have enjoyed every one of your posts--a very interesting person--in the best sense possible. I trust your health will allow you to stay at it at least until 70--I'm 72 and still judging--went to Germay last week (my first time) enjoyed Berlin and some day trips out of there.  Finish the book so you can start another, best wishes and good health from a fellow traveler.................Bill

Bill,

Glad you had a wonderful trip to Berlin!

Just like the rest of us, hope you have many more, Happy Trails"!

Thanks, Bill!  I've missed your posts as well!  Well, I didn't go to Paris after all so no Rive Gauche.  After the amazing research/archaeological experience in Crete, I went back to the Cyclades.  Santorini was the main colony of Crete's Minoan civilization until its volcano blew up over 3600 years ago, affecting Crete as well.  I'm on 4 hours sleep after 24 hours of almost none, but the trip was amazing and I will post photos and comments probably tomorrow.

Best to you, fellow traveler! ProfChiara

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Profchiara

Definitely looking forward to the photos of your most recent trip to the ancient sites in Greece.  Rest up and take care.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Sounds like a great fascinating trip. My son recently graduated with a degree in history (no job prospects yet) and always forged his own path when we took him out of the country. In London, Paris and especially Rome, he took off by himself to seek out every site of historical significance and updated (more like bored) us at dinner time with his findings.

Hopefully all of those nights that I stayed at Marriott's over the years will pay dividends... when he finds a job!

Hi mikieg,

Despite what most people think, a history degree can pay off very well -- maybe not as immediately as computer science or engineering, but students learn critical thinking, writing skills, speaking, and analysis.  I've been repeatedly told when I write recs for history majors going to law school that they much prefer history grads to political science ones.

I'm off to Greece again in 3-1/2 weeks for fall break !

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Hi Prof Chiara!

As usual, you are spot on correct. A history degree, like a law degree, teaches one to think, write and speak clearly about things that really matter. My undergraduate degree was in history and philosophy--my friends kidded me saying there was not a big demand for historical philophers.  Mikiegfla your son is the type person anyone would wish to spend a day with in good conversation--he will get a job!....................Bill

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I must say this, he can really write. When I read his papers in college I was starting to think that he was using someone elses work but in the end it was all original.

I get so many comments (especially from freshman) that "all she cares about is how we write."  No, it's not all I care about, but I pointed out that if people can't understand what you're trying to say in writing, you'll never get your point across.  Long ago I had one student, whose writing was, shall we say, deplorable?  I said that he wouldn't even be able to write a cover letter for a job if he didn't work on it.  His response: "I'll get my secretary to do that." Seriously.

Also, my first non-TA job out of grad school was at MIT, where I had only one history major in my Western Civ class (they could only double major with history if that had what MIT considered a 'real major' too).  Several asked me why I harped on writing.  One after another I asked them what they wanted to do after college.  Famous usually preceded physicist, engineer, chemist, biologist, etc.  By then I had them trapped.  I asked if they planned to get their research findings published in important journals .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...