24 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2016 11:15 AM by jerrycoin RSS

V-E Day in France!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Today is a National Holiday in France, and they are really "Celebrating"!

The C-E is closed and the parade is majestic.  I can see a lot of activity from my hotel room, nd will be out in the activity later.  There are many French that share their "Fondness and appreciation" to America, and other countries who have  helped them.  This is the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day invasion as well.

IMG_4021.jpg

Hope you can see the huge French Flag under the AdT!  The roads are blocked and their is a lot to be happy about here in Paris!  Loud singing and I am sure the celebration will continue!

If you have memories or experiences to share about V-E Day, please share!  "Les't We not Forget"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
Hautvillers, FRANCE
  • Re: V-E Day in France!
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Sounds like a wonderful experience Jerry!  Too bad the Arc is covered in scaffolding...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kh,

It has been a wonderful day!  Will have more to share later. 

They were cleaning the AdT, so most of it was visible, and it was beautiful!

The small towns along the way to Epernay had French Flags galore and everyone seemed to "Glow" with National Price!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Awesome!  So where you heading to next?  I know you had quite a list of dining locations, but perhaps you should add this one...

Auberge de Collonges - Paul Bocuse Restaurant

It's in Lyon, but I hear Lyon is the epicenter of French Gastronomy.  That restaurant is definitely on my bucket list! 

kh,

Been to Lyon, but have not had this dining experience!  Coming back in December, and will be looking at this place for a "Dinner trip".  Lyon, is not that far (283 miles), that you could take the TGV to and from Paris, dine and return.

Thanks for the suggestion and information.  However, keep in mind, there are so, so many fine places to dine in the Paris area!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Will be visiting Chef Bocuse's restaurant for dinner very soon.  Having lunch in his market that same day.  Cannot wait.  The night before, visiting Comptoir Abel, one of the city's top bouchon.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

What a memorable day!  And I'm sure you will have a memorable dinner as well.  Enjoy!

Sledchick,

Thanks for your comment  More than even a "Memorable Day"!  A real day of "Appreciation" for freedom!

BTW, I don't know about dinner but the lunch at "L 'Abbaye" at Hautvillers, France, was phenomenal. This was the home town of Dom P.

Will have more to share later!

Why am I not surprised that that you made a pilgrimage to Dom's hometown?  The medicinals must have been worth the trek!  How is Mrs. Coin faring on this trip?  You two sure do get around!  Safe travels!

Sledchick,

Thanks for the note!  We do try to get around and need a little "Medicine" every now and then for one of my many "Illnesses", it's tolerable, but has to be dealt with in "Small doses", you maybe have heard of it, it is called:

"Lazy eye, Syndrome"!

There are NO cures, but certain med's alleviate much of the pain. One such, I found "The Abbaye Restaurant in Hautvillers, France.  Just North of Epernay, France, the rural French setting allows one to forget their "Aches, pains, and problems"!  Local "Med's" is the specialty and it sure cured my infirmaries yesterday.  A few photo's will support my "Cure, but only for the day"!

IMG_4062.JPG

Sledchick, I did not want to stop, but our driver insisted that he could help with the "Pain" in my bad eye!  We stopped here and it was a "Healing Oasis"! 

I finally regained full vision while enjoying a beef filet followed by allowing myself to "Take my medicine", here's a photo:

IMG_4067.JPG

The morel mushrooms had just been picked and really "Perked" me up!

Likewise, there was some special local liquids that seemed to abate other problems:

IMG_4064.JPG

It worked!

The next thing I new, everything was fine, and we headed down the road to Epernay!

It was a "Miraculous" recovery!  Laurent, Lady Coin, and myself, celebrated this "Miracle"!

IMG_4069.JPG

Hallelujah!

We then went down the road to continue searching for a cure!

IMG_4090.jpg

Sledchick, it was a "Miracle", but I did suffer for the rest of the day!

However, tomorrow may bring on more "Pain and suffering".  Oh too find a cure! 

Location Brand Hotel
          Hautvillers, FRANCE

Oh, I do love it when you post photos with your witty commentary!  This all looks so wonderful.  Those French medicinals do wonders for one's ailments.  I'm sure your pursuit of a "cure" will last a lifetime.  We wish you and Mrs. Coin safe passasge home!

Sledchick,

Thank-you!

We made it back and it was a wonderful trip.  The Champagne Region was most interesting.

IMG_4081.JPG

The view from Hautvillers looking toward the Marne River!  Hope many more of you can enjoy this area someday!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Were flags of the allies who liberated the French on display as well?

NU,

Yes, in many places!

I did not make it to Normandy on this trip, but in Central France, and Paris, there were some.  BTW, anadyr, pluto2, and a lot of other MRI Vet's would have enjoyed some of these V-E Day sights:

IMG_4083.jpg

I finally made it back to the central square in Epernay, France to take a photo, and pay my respects to this well maintained monument!

Likewise, the area is full of "Tributes" to sacrifices made by many countries, like the US.  Here is a wonderful one, just outside of Epernay, on the drive back to Paris:

IMG_4094.JPG

This is a tribute to WW!, in The Marne Valley,  here's how the large monument looked, compared to our car!

IMG_4095.JPG

There is the names of famous WWI Battles atop this monument!  Wonderful experience!

IMG_4096.JPG

Driving up the C-E, toward the AdT, it was lined with a huge number of flags.  Beautiful, especially on a windy day!

Lastly, The AdT, was aglow with color and activity.

IMG_4101.JPG

Hope you enjoyed these!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks Jerry a wonderful tribute to those brave Americans.

anadyr,

"Bingo"!

We can never forget what they did for our freedom!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I asked because you didn't mention it.

NU,

Wish I had more pictures of various flags, but I don't!  Will take some photo's on next trip.

BTW, please see my post on "Nebraska"!

Platinum

Somehow you should've rented a Citroen instead of a Mercedes...just sayin

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

My parents were both in the US Army posted in Paris at the end of WWII.  They were the first American military couple married in Notre Dame Cathedral.

newhiltonmembr,

As I watch METV and one of my favorite shows, "Combat", I have tremendous respect for parents like yours!

I hope you have had the chance or will to visit their "Wedding Chapel"!

IMG_1107.JPG

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Thanks very much, Jerry!

I have had the opportunity to visit Notre Dame and the specific chapel that my parents were married in on a number of occasions.  The most memorable was a trip with my mother and a sister where my mother was "reliving" her WWII locations in France and England.

A number of years later, that sister was engaged at the same chapel in which my parents were married. 

Great artworks, great memories form Notre Dame!  You should go there annually!

IMG_1113.JPG

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

DSCN1235.JPG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...