29 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2015 2:29 PM by psudad RSS

gold status through money spent on credit card?

jack613 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

would marriott ever consider giving gold status for spending $9000 dollars on their credit card (equal to 3 elite nights)?  it would help the infrequent traveler still have gold status when he gets away a few times a year and would encourage money to be spent on their credit card by many people as a way for them to reach gold elite

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: gold status through money spent on credit card?
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

If you get the Marriott card you can get up to 15 elite nights which puts you at silver and I guess if you spend enough you could get to gold but you'd have to spend a LOT, which at that point you might as well just stay at hotels .  I've seen other chains offer gold status or mid level status for various things, generally similar to a challenge program and they all have some type of spend/commitment tied to them. 

To more directly answer your question, I doubt they would give gold status for the 9k spend.  In the grand scheme of things though, is gold really worth *that* much more than silver if you aren't on the road very often?  I haven't been gold in a long time so I'm not as familiar with how different silver vs gold is in practice but honestly I don't recall anything spectacular until making Plat Prem. and even at this level there's not as much amazing as you might think there should be

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jack613 Silver

even if it is 2-5 times a year that i would stay,having free internet and concierge lounge access at full service marriotts would make the stay much more enjoyable.

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

I Ise the mall to do all of my shopping.,  including Walmart home deliver and have earned over 15 nights just with using the shopping mall and not staying one night in a hotel ris year.  So, it is well worth it to use the shopping mall.  I did not even get a chance to use the free night I earned from mebership.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Actually, I feel there is a big jump from Silver to Gold, because you get 25% bonus on points, you get access to the lounge, or if they don't have a lounge you get breakfast, and you get upgrade privileges.  To me, there is little benefit going from Gold to Platinum, with the exception of 50% bonus on points and a special Platinum reservation/care line. They were nice when I called and very helpful, but so are the folks on the Elite line.  And I only used the 48 hour guarantee once.  That being said, would rather have the 50% bonus than the 25% bonus.

Not sure why $9,000 was a magic number and being able to make gold with only 18 nights credit (the 15 you get with the card and the $9,000 in charges) would cheapen it's value, compared to the road warrior who busted their hump through airports for the year, and staying in 20-30-40 different hotels.  There are some parts of my years over 100 nights that I miss, but many I don't.

ndn Platinum

I disagree. The significance of the benefit depends on what you value. For me, Platinum was huge. It gave me UA Silver before I actually qualified this year, which meant my R-class upgrades to lie-flat business class on domestic 777 flights were copay free ($75 saves EACH time), I got extra UA points, and I got priority boarding. Then the added MR points (I have so far earned 540,000 this year) let me transfer them to UA points through multiple 7-night award stays. MR Platinum also gets me free parking at the JW Marriott Orlando Resort, saving $25 a day. Platinum may not provide me the same benefits next year, since I will have earned UA Silver/Gold anyway though.

For somebody who travels 3-6 times a year coast to coast, I cannot guarantee that I will make UA Silver or Gold. Some years I could make Gold; other years I will make NOTHING. MR Platinum guarantees me UA Silver through RewardsPlus.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Obvious benefit to you.  I don't or rarely fly United.  My routes are either US Airways/American or Southwest, with the occasional AerLingus or Delta.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

jack613,

This is already possible and very easily so through the JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa Signature Card.

You receive Gold Status free your first year, and every subsequent year you spend $10,000 or more. 

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/ritz-carlton-card.aspx?CELL=63WS&sapphireprefsplit=3&

I've read in travel forums that the offer is indeed good on Marriott Reward accounts.  You don't have to be enrolled in Ritz-Carlton Rewards.  The annual fee is high at about $400, but it's better than trying to spend $105,000 on the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature card (assuming you only have 15 night credit from the card and don't stay at all). 

Another alternative would be to using Rewarding Events.  This is an iffy one since there's discrepancies on what really counts, but in my experience, having a meeting, even for just an hour, is enough to receive 10 Elite Qualifying Night credits + 3pts/$ in spend on room rental rate and catering. 

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

Thanks for this hint--the $400 is only $305 above the Marriott Premier Card, and I like the guarantee.  Sometimes I JUST make the 50 night requirement, but most my nights earned are through use of my card!

chautauquany,

If you don't want to go the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa route, there is another option.  Recently Chase released the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature Business card.  For $99/year annual fee, you'll get an additional 15 EQNs for a total of 30 EQNs per year from both cards, plus double points on certain "business" related spending categories such as your cable bill  

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

Thanks for this tip--will be applying before the weekend is out!

Good luck chautauquany!  I hope one of the cards helps you reach your goal! 

dgreen12 Platinum

Just a heads up, Chase has confirmed that the maximum number of elite nights that they will give a Marriott Rewards number during a calendar year is 15.  So the business credit card won't get any additional elite nights over and above the personal credit card. 

Thanks for the heads up dgreen12.  That's really disappointing.  I think it's a missed opportunity there, as giving the additional 15 EQNs/year would be an incentive for someone to get the business card. 

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

This is true.

but, it looks to me like they may have bumped up earnings as far as points go.

johnlb1234 Platinum

Thanks for the information.  The rewarding events is a great ideal. 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

In my opinion it would make sense to follow the SPG model and allow point/cert nights to count as elite nights. You spent the money on paid nights, earned those points and certs, and therefore should get the elite nights for redeeming those nights. It would allow those people who spend lets say 30 nights a year on the road to get the Marriott credit card to get them to 45 and then their point stays they earned from the 30 paid nights would get them those extra 5 so they can meet/maintain Gold elite status. Just a thought....

jack613 Silver

i 100% agree. points that were earned as well as certs should count towards the next level

I couldn't have said it better myself ks77!  But, that is extremely improbable.  Especially with a program that makes it so difficult to earn top tier Platinum status in the first place when compared to other programs. 

craftm09 Silver 1 Reviews

I agree with this approach as well! It would be great if points or certificates used counted towards Elite nights.

cweave02000 Gold 3 Reviews

That is what I would really like to see - I rarely have time to use the certificates, and would love for them to just apply them as EQ nights.

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

Okay, I apologize. I got confused with my statement.  Regarding the shopping mall you are correct.  The additional points earned do not qualify towards nights.  But, the actual spending does.  So, the points are an added bonus one would not have if they did not use the mall.

I only stayed at a Marriott twice this year and I have 29 nights so far. 

prost Gold 2 Reviews

I believe that they give platinum Elite Status if you spend $75K per year on the Visa Signature card.  So maybe its $50k for gold

dgreen12 Platinum

Marriott gives Platinum status for having 75 elite nights, which can be obtained through paid hotel stays, Marriott Rewards credit card spend ($3,000 net spend = 1 elite night), and/or Rewarding Events (one meeting = 10 elite nights).  Rollover nights are also elite qualifying nights.

$75k in credit card spend will get you 25 elite nights, which added to the 15 nights that they give for having the credit card will get you up to 40 elite nights.  Platinum still requires 75 nights, so you either need more credit card spend, paid stays in the hotels or some other way of getting there.

prost Gold 2 Reviews

This is what it says on the Visa Signature card details;

Platinum Elite Status:

Each Account Year you make Net Purchases totaling $75,000 or more you will qualify for Platinum Elite Status through December 31 of the following year. ("Account Year" means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement after the anniversary of your account open date, and each twelve billing cycles thereafter.) ("Net Purchases" are purchases of goods and services made by you or any authorized user on your account minus any returns or refunds, and do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I did not find that on the Marriott Visa Premier Card, but the Ritz Carlton Card does state that.

ndn Platinum

Marriott doesn't, but Ritz does for $10,000. I have the Ritz card. I think the spend should be $40,000, not $10,000. $10,000 spend is way too easy, and it means giving away Gold for nothing. Platinum on the card is $75,000. That takes a commitment to the card at least.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...