11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2014 9:42 AM by cjkatl RSS

Platinum Premier - what a disappointment

klieber Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So, after a fairly brutal travel schedule for the last few years, I finally achieved Platinum Premier status for 2014.  Wow, what a tremendous disappointment.  I've read other's accounts of the lack of distinction but never really understood how bad it was.  In the stays I've had in 2014, I think there's only been one person who even mentioned "premier" as part of the standard "thank you for being a platinum member" schtick we always get at check-in.  I don't even think most of the desk folks know it even exists.  Then, beyond the cute USB battery that I was sent as part of my welcome gift, there has been absolutely zero extra benefits.  None.  No additional room upgrades (never mind suite upgrades), nada.

I don't even understand why this tier exists.  Achieving it and then getting absolutely nothing for it is more damaging to my opinion of Marriott than if they'd not had the tier at all.

I'm already a lifetime platinum member, so at this point, I really have no reason to remain loyal to marriott.  I can (and have) started evaluating other properties.  I'm just surprised that MR would have such a poorly designed aspect of what has always been an otherwise fairly well-run program.

Marriott: let me add my voice to the many others that have already complained: Platinum Premier is doing nothing to help your cause and, for some of your most loyal members (such as myself) it's actually worsening our opinion of you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Premier - what a disappointment
    skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I've said for years Marriott should have a) either made the PP program one that does offer sigificant additional bennies; b) killed the Platinum Premier program simply because it doesn't offer any additional benefits & it just pisses people off.  Ironically it did offer a few bennies (not many, but still some) when it was created but Marriott slowly took those away. 

I do disagree with you that because you're a Lifetime Plat that there's no reason to stay with Marriott anymore.  Because of my Lifetime Plat status & the bennies I get with that re: if I stay 5 nights or 75 nights, I stay at Marriotts more. 

Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Perfectly stated and summarized for the scores of previous posts about "why the status?" and lack of benefits thereof.

It's definitely not akin to Global Services recognition within United's Mileage Plus program - yet still requires the same type of conditions (top spenders, top mileage, etc. and invited by corporate).

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I  have to reluctantly agree.  Last year, I found my 'upgrade' percentage to be quite high.  This year however, I have yet to be upgraded and the year is almost half over and I am at 50+ nights.  I think that Marriott is letting a golden opportunity slip thru their hands in regard to Platinum Premier.   Give it some teeth, or let it go…..

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I was there in the Premier club for a number of years and cannot recall much of a difference at all.  However, when I first made it the GM at the full service property in VA made a special event out of it, sending wine and fruit to the room with a congratulatory note. Otherwise the reception at reception was exactly the same as being a Platinum member and then a Platinum Lifer.

I suppose the biggest disappointment for me is that Marriott corporate seems to treat this as a special award, while not really discussing how it is achieved, and then giving little emphasis to the level itself on a hotel by hotel basis.

I'd much rather see it eliminated, or if that's not in the cards then made into a really special level, with exceptional benefits.

Just me talkin' here.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Thank you; thank you all for posting what I too am beginning to feel. Status and dedication to the Marriott brand only matters and is acknowledged when in contact with reservations, customer care, and the better managed properties. Get out into the world and the weeds of the Marriott empire(poorly managed properties and poorly trained personnel)  and there is no care that spending thousands; and in some of our cases bringing millions in business to Marriott means nothing.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I hope that Marriott sees this thread and makes some changes. The Platinum Premier decisions are being made without regard to how the program is implemented at the property level. Once again, as with any loyalty program, the hotels must be on board with recognition and providing tangible benefits to those who make the top tiers.

Good thread here.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

During my last (and 9th year in a row) qualification for PP status (through 01/31/2013) I had 229 paid nights and earned 435,706 points or ~$22,000 in spend during the previous year. I received a small (almost useless) solar charger that I found I could have bought online for $12.00 and got to keep a "special 800#" for reservations (which I called once in the 12 months). Not much for this kind of loyalty.

Another thing merb should consider with lack of PP benefits - there are many of us who have earned LTP and have no incentive to commit to numbers like my 2013. With P/LTP and PP having almost zip, nada, goose-egg differences, why make such a commitment? This (sorry but I have another chance to say it) and the removing free coffee from the lobby was enough for me to spend elsewhere.

PLUTONIUM level on the horizon (again, have opportunity to say it) with guaranteed suites on points?

captkb Platinum

This thread is great!  I truly feel Marriott is making a huge mistake not recognizing their LP's with a priority status of some kind.  I have been a LP for 4 years and it means nothing!!!  I hardly ever receive an upgrade to the concierge level because they sell the rooms now.  Lifetime Platinum's will start staying at other hotels and building status there, why not if there is no reason to stay at a Marriott.  Very bad of Marriott to overlook this situation.  From what I have been told they have known about this and have chosen to do nothing.  I suggest another level for LP that have stayed over a 1000 nights, over 2M points!!!!  Like a Lifetime Platinum Plus!!!!  Maybe we can get upgraded once in a while without begging or complaining.  Just a thought!!

dar Platinum 1 Reviews

As a Platnuim Elite member I have never really been made to feel anymore or less special than any other Marriott rewards member at any of the hotels I have stayed at. But as a Marriott rewards member I have been treated better than I have been by any other Hotel Brands top Tier Membership. I have been top Tier with other brands and Have had such BAD expieriences that I am willing to over Look the fact that I am not treated super special as Long as Marriott keeps giving me good service. As a top tier member there are certian things I expect and get from Marriott. So I am staying Loyal for now but if Marriott fails to deliver then I will take my 200+ nights a year I stay in Hotels and go elsewhere.

cjkatl Platinum

Are you Plat or Plat Prem, the level above Plat? Putting my charger rant to the side, as a Plat Prem I am being treated much better than I was treated as a Plat. I get sweet suite upgrades, late checkout and my feather free room request honored at a much better rate that I did during my many years as a Plat.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I agree that being PP means you should get amazing service and recognition. The only thing I can say in response to the recognition at the property level is that the well run well managed properties engage with you during check in, acknowledge your status, and give upgrades when available. I find using the virtual concierge for upgrades helps. If the front desk agent checking me in doesn't say anything I then ask. My batting average is actually quite good as I stay at full service Marriott's most of the time. If I am staying at a CY I don't expect much. I realize having franchises means its harder for standards, policies and proceedures to be enforced as opposed to corporate locations. It is no excuse, just the nature of the beast. As Gold I will continue to be loyal to Marriott, and as my wife is Gold with SPG, we have a wide variety of options. I don't hear amazing things from Hilton and IHG so I don't even consider them. Just my two cents...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...