9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 11:11 PM by ssindc RSS

Boston Marriott hotel properties, suggestions, please.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In September, I will be visiting Boston for one week with my mother.  I am looking for suggestions as to which property we should stay at.  We have decided to do 2-3 paid nights at Custom House and then do a 4-5 night stay on points elsewhere.  (Custom House, our first choice is completely sold out for points reservations, but we have decided to do a couple of paid nights there because it just looks so lovely.)  The question remains then as to where to spend the other 4-5 nights.  I am a walker and would probably be completely comfortable with any of the Marriott property locations in the center of the city, anywhere from Back Bay to the Wharf or even across the river, but my mom is starting to show signs of not being able to keep up with us "kids" as she has previously done (she in her 70's, I in my 50's).  I am hoping we can do the stay without a car.  We do the subway well, and are happy to use a taxi service when warranted.  As for luxury or economy, we can swing either way.  What's important is 1) access to public transportation for transport to dining, as well as all of the usual yet worthy sight-seeing attractions (including Fenway Park), and 2) a nicely appointed property (sometimes a brand new or recently renovated Residence Inn can beat a tired, run down, overly populated full-service property, so it doesn't necessarily have to be full service.)

I have read all of the reviews in the hotel review section, and the two properties that I was originally considering (aside from Custom House), Boston Marriott Copley Place and Boston Marriott Long Wharf have left me with some concerns.  A jam-packed CL, slow elevators, lackluster customer service and tired, threadbared furnishings are not something I would look forward to, though admittedly, as urban adventurers we won't be spending very much time in the hotel.  I am wondering if the Cambridge Marriott, the Residence Inn Tudor Wharf, Residence Inn Seaport or the Renaissance Boston Waterfront are doable as well as nice.  Also, this is my maiden trip to the Big B.  My mom has only been one time prior for only about three days.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Boston Downtown/Seaport
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Long Wharf
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Copley Place
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Custom House
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Cambridge
  • Re: Boston Marriott hotel properties, suggestions, please.
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto,

Eclektech and I visited Boston last August and stayed at the Renaissance Waterfront Hotel.  The location was really great and less than a block away from the Silver Line .  There were many neat shops and restaurants in walking distance of the hotel.  Overall it was a good stay and I would definitely consider staying at the property again.  My biggest disappointment with the property was the bed quality did not seem up to Renaissance's normal standards.  Hopefully by now they have improved the bedding.  Here are a few pics I took from our stay.

IMAG0206.jpg

View from Hotel Room

DSCN1379.JPG

DSCN1375.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I just saw this.  Thanks for responding.  How easy was it to get to Back Bay/Brownstones, the Common and the Waterfront on the metro?

Disappointing bed quality?  That's kind of important...

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto,

We were only in Boston for 3 nights and used the Silver Line once which took us from the Airport to the Hotel.  Using the Silver Line from the airport is a free ride.  The Renaissance is at the Waterfront and there is lots to do there.  We made use of the Zip Car service to get around one day as there were zip cars located in a garage one block away from the hotel.  On our last day there I connected with an old friend who used to live in VA and had recently moved to Boston.  He became our chauffeur then.  When you are at the Waterfront you also have the option of water taxis.  I saw some folks make use of them to get back to the airport.

I'm not sure if your familiar with the HopStop website but its a good travel planner for getting around larger cities with public transportation.  Here is a link to the Boston HopStop:  https://boston.hopstop.com/search?xfr=cityscape

We were disappointed in the Bed Quality in our room when we stayed in Aug 2013 but I did notice that some more recent reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor indicated their beds were comfortable.  So maybe they got some new bedding since we last stayed.

anadyr, if you were to stay in Boston again, where would you consider staying if not Copley Place?  (Besides Custom House).

Thanks.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pluto

I have stayed at Marriott Boston Long Wharf several times and enjoyed each stay.  The CL may be a bit busy, the the food selection is superior and the view is wonderful.  I do not recall the bed being overly tired, but it's been a while...

Shoeman,

Many thanks for your input.  I have really been stumped over this, as nothing (not even the Ritz) has grabbed my attention aside from the Custom House.  It would be nice if we could be in the center of the mix, but the negative reviews (and even the photos) have me stymied.  One never quite knows what prompts people to submit negative reviews... One thing that occurs to me is that all of the Boston properties are expensive (like any high cost of living destination such as NYC, etc.) and people who aren't used to these prices perhaps have higher expectations based upon price alone, which in a high cost area, really means nothing.  The Long Wharf CL does look and sound good.  A fantastic view over a good breakfast seems like a great way to start the day.  I actually wasn't that impressed with the photos of the rooms at the Ritz (or Copley), though I'm sure the service is excellent.  The two CY's in the city center actually look comfortable...  They have complimentary lobby coffee (imagine!) and no Beastro, rather an actual hotel restaurant a la days of yore.  I think location is more important than I originally considered.

I'm booking on points.  I can't put this off much longer.  Thank you, again.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Custom House and Long Wharf are almost next to each other.  Long wharf is a high rise, so you have some higher floor views.  I know Stepping Stones had recommended Custom house, I'm sure it's very nice.  Being a timeshare property, probably rooms are pretty nice.  Either way, both are on the walking tour trail and only minutes from Paul Revere's home and much, much more.  One more thing.  If you like Italian seafood, you have to go to The Daily Catch, within walking distance of either of these properties.  One caveat, cash only and very small place.  Maybe 12 tables max. It is also right across the street from a famous bakery.  enjoy.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

two words: Custom House...

two additional words: Eagle Suite

'nuff said....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links