33 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2014 12:57 PM by skiadcock RSS

If it ain't broke, please Marriott, don't fix it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Woops, Marriott did it again.  Check out the search/find hotels page at Marriott.com.  They used to list the hotels for a requested location along with the price, and if you wanted to see them on a map, you could click on the map icon, and a map would appear at the top of the page with the hotels on the map, but the list was also still there to scroll, default order being distance to the center of the location.  If you hovered over a location on the map, you could see the hotel name and price.  Not any more.  If you want to see the hotel on a map, click the map icon, and poof - the list goes away.  Not only that, but you can't hover over a point on the map to get the hotel name and price.  Now you have to click it and wait for the page to refresh to see it on a side panel.  Totally dumb.    I want my old view back. 

It's one thing to go messing with the look and feel of Insiders, but please don't mess with the search/find hotels page.  Marriott is just making it harder and harder to analyze, compare and find the best rate/location.  Not happy with this new change.

am i broke.jpg

Did I mention that I want my old view back?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: If it ain't broke, please Marriott, don't fix it.
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I haven't experienced this new fangled shell game yet, but it sounds terrible.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

When the folks in the white coats come to get

IAHFLYR and myself

it will be due to United Airlines and the Marriott pricing grid, warmly known as The Matrix.
    It's not by coincidence that you wrote the line, "Marriott is just making it harder and harder to analyze, compare and find the best rate/location".
    Be afraid, be very afraid

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

They have already come and got me, they wore green jackets and told me I was going to the Masters.

Looks as if I'm going to have to take a look at this new not broken so why'd they break it issue.

Okay I looked an agree with pluto77, but I probably already agreed with her before looking. 

This new search/find thing is NOT user friendly in the least. 

Hey ansaa, The specified item was not found., merb or the new NathalieF can any of you explain why the change first of all and next why no beta run for some MI to take a look at or others not in corporate?

I want the old view back as well.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I noticed the same thing the other day. I was able to get the info I needed, but it just took twice as long. Perhaps the IT folks want us to stay on the site longer and this was their way of achieving it.

I'm all in favor of improvements that make things easier for the customer. I just don't see how this change does that.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Progress is painful especially when it serves no good pupose.

There have been some good changes on both the Marriott website and here on Insiders. This does not appear to be one of them.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Evidently there are some web developers on the payroll and they have to keep making changes to justify their existence.  Most changes add nothing ... just shift things around.  Then we have to figure out how to use it, again!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Ah, I think I see what you mean. I know many sections and pages of Marriott.com are being converted into a more adaptable format to account for desktop, tablet and smartphone viewers... as opposed to the old way of designing the same page with multiple variations. Talk about keeping a developer busy!

I did a quick search for NYC and when I click on any of the branded hotel pins, I'm able to see rates for all locations right there on the same screen (but in the right column).

Picture 7.png

You can only see the rate for one hotel at a time in the right column as your screen shot illustrates.  This makes it difficult to compare rates whilst also analyzing location.

As far as being converted to a more adaptable format, can you say Windows8?   Adaptable, schmaptable.  Adaptable for whom?  (Or what?)  Thanks for letting me vent.

I looked up schmaptable, it seems to have Hungarian roots.

Years ago, I was visiting a group of stores that were in my area. I observed how different stores set up their takeout coffee. All stores carried the same four sizes of cups.  Starting with 8 oz, 12 oz, 16 oz thru 20 oz. Two of the ten stores had multiple stacks of the 20 oz cups closest to the customer, with the 8 oz cups barely visible. I asked them why they merchandised their selections in that way. They explained that by "hiding" the least expensive (lowest profit) cup, they increased their sales of 16 oz. They found that when given the option of 3 sizes versus 4, most folks would grab the "medium size". They still sold the same number of units, but had more revenue at higher profit.

I'm wondering if Marriott by hiding the details, is trying to influence which hotels (read profit making) the customer will choose. Their argument may be that if you look hard and long enough, you can find a better deal, but we're going to make you work. Most folks will probably tire of the game and just pick the hotel we put in front of them.....

I hope that's not the case. If the goal is to make it easier to use across more platforms, I can get behind that though I rarely use anything other than my laptop computer to make reservations.

Whatever the reason, we'll likely get used to it before long. Of course, then it will be time for another change.

Or decide that Hilton or Hyatt has an easier website and select from their options.

Perchance

nycuws10025 Platinum

And Hilton DOES have a FAR easier website to use.  Can't say I'm all that familiar with Hyatt.

Yes they do, they've already got some of my business recently and may take another stay near the end of the year in NYC that is currently booked at a Marriott property.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

The irony is that Hilton used to have a horrible website & Marriott's was much better.  Hilton's website was part of the factor in driving me to Marriott.  Now it may end up being the reverse!

Cheers.

erc Platinum

I for one, salute Marriott for making it so gawdawful difficult to find the best deal. If I didn't spend as much time getting the best prices available, I'd just be frittern away my noontime, suppertime, and chore time in a pinch-back suit playin' pool for money and list'nin to some big out-a-town Jasper tell about horse-race gamblin'. I tell ya, it would just be trouble with a capital T. So thank you Marriott. Keep up the good work, it's swell and so's your ol' man .

Well the confusion factor is always a good one, jusst ask the IRS forms designers. I recall starting a  major project in my fulltime working days and having someone tell me that they liked my after-action report but that it was too clear, and easily read. Seems that I needed to use some Bayesian Inference Analysies, all the rage in those heady days of Intelligence Reporting.

I still recall one erstewhile division chief at the Agency telling me that "we" should never make definitive statements in these kinds of reports, that policymakers used intelligence as a drunk used a lampost, for supprt rather than illumination, etc.

Thus "See Jane Run" became:

P(H\mid E) = \frac{P(E\mid H) \cdot P(H)}{P(E)}
          And we all felt better for it. Espcially Jane.

cheil Platinum 13 Reviews

It's not that it's more difficult, it's just different than what you're used to. Adapt.

erc Platinum

That's one of the Insiders mottos  http://www.truecompassconsulting.com/Portals/0/xBlog/uploads/2013/3/5/imagesIAO.jpg especially when booking reservations or dealing with Rewards issues.
      Often, less is more   
      I've adapted so much, it's hard to tell if I'm coming or going.

Great having you with Insiders, keep on sharing ideas and experiences, that's how we all maximize our travels. Thanks for participating.

That's what Darwin said and look what happened!

Actually it is more difficult & not efficient. This, plus many of the other website changes, has made the Marriott website less useful, information harder to obtain, takes more clicks, wastes more time (of its customers).

Cheers.

One more irritating "feature" of the new Marriott reservation engine... if you select a city and click the 'use points' box, the list of properties no longer states the category for each property.  Not on the list, not on the side, not on the map, nowhere except if you actually go to the hotel webpage itself (a bunch more clicks through a bunch more webpages, then a bunch more clicks through the same bunch of webpages to get back, and additionally your session will probably expire).  Wouldn't one think that to be an important piece of information when using points?

Here's an idea: Lets take 10 X the amount of work as before to gather the same amount of information. 

The sooner you cry UNCLE! The sooner this will pass. Most likely there's a poster hanging in the HQ of your favorite hotel chain featuring their position to the old guard client...

Silly me, I should know this.  (A poster with the exact words hangs in my office. )

Love that poster, and want one for my Marriott Hotels room (in my home) that is filled with Marriott napkins, swizzle sticks and assorted toiletries. The shoe polisher was too heavy to borrow!  And those drapes are securely fastened to the walls and besides, housekeeping knows if they are missing and draws the conclusion that you took them, especially when you ask the bell staff to carry them for yoi to your Escalade.

Categories, who needs them?  Not the site apparently.

nycuws10025 Platinum

Yep.  That whole rigamarole you've described was annoying.  

I checked this one this morning (SUN 11MAY) and the hotel category is back on the display list when you indicate you want to make a reservation using Marriott Rewards points.  It's over on the left under the picture, under the hotel name and next to "More Details".

I called Marriott Reservations to get a list of Cat 1-5 hotels in my intended destination area so I could book one of my Megabonus certificate stays.  

The associate was all set to book it for me.  Told her: "Nope, I can do that myself.   I'm just not willing to jump through 20 hoops to find a hotel category that should be on your site.  Please tell your supervisor."    That's considered a "non-productive call" - one where the Associate answers the phone but doesn't convert it to a booking - very high cost for Marriott.  I can see why they got it fixed so quickly.

BTW - there's a thread in FT that has a work-around on some of the new 'enhancements' Marriott's crappy IT team has done to the website.  It also says something when there's a separate thread re: Marriott website problems that's several pages long (at 40 posts/page).

Marriott.com Bugs, Annoyances, and Work Arounds - FlyerTalk Forums

The other thing I've noticed is that a # of corps are making changes to websites 'because so many are now using smartphones & tablets' but because they're redesigning for tablets that don't themselves have as much functionality/has some different programming it's resulting in websites or features that used to be robust now either not working properly or easy efficient functionality is gone.  Hallmark just ran into this when they redesigned their (paid) e-card subscription product & now a # of folk are saying they're not going to renew their subscriptions because so much of what made the site good is now gone & isn't coming back.

Cheers.

nycuws10025 Platinum

Pluto77 and all,

I opened virtually an identical thread on the same topic being unaware of the existence of this one.  (And very coincidentally, used the same "If it ain't broke..." in the title line!)

In my defense, I did use the seldom-effective Insiders "search" function using terms like "Map", "Marriott.com", and "Reservations" none of which lead me to this thread.

As I often do, I stood up on my soapbox for a long time ranting about this and that.

For those who want to see what I posted here's the link to that thread:

The specified item was not found.

My thanks to painedplatinum for pointing me to this.

Mea culpa,  Mea magna culpa!  I am very sorry.