3 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2014 5:37 PM by anadyr RSS

Like ol' man river, Marriott earnings keep rollin' on

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

At the 10 am conference call/podcast coming up, Marriott will announce that their First Quarter profit rose 26%, their revpar - yada, yada, yawn.

They are also (and remember, they're often quite conservative) raising their outlook for the year as, "corporate travel picks up". (stock, thank goodness, the paper profit helps offset rising room rates for lodgers )

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/marriott-hikes-outlook-as-corporate-travel-picks-up-2014-04-29

Another fascinating thing (to Insider zealots like myself )  is their essential public ignoring of the fact that they, once again, won Freddies (as you can see below, they still announce their awards)

http://news.marriott.com/awards.html

Insiders, as we have observed, threats of departure have no impact - it's all about us, helping each other.

Keep on keepin' on Insiders, we're all we've got for optimizing each others' travels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Like ol' man river, Marriott earnings keep rollin' on
    erc Platinum

Arne Sorenson just appeared on CNBC and as expected, it's all good. Marriott is a "cash machine" which leads to Marriott buying back their shares (even as stock prices have climbed 20% this year alone - yay) at an aggressive rate. Sorenson (and this poster agrees) believes that the industry growth is only in the mid-innings and a 'steady as you go' strategy is working out just fine (and it is). The big deal - mobile. 40% of their online bookings are now made through mobile (wow, an eye opener) vs. desktop (I'm hanging tough ).

After listening to his report, I have a feeling he didn't read 

SUGGESTIONS FOR ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR PLATINUM ELITE

which still disappoints me that these type of "red meat" posts (with the predictable outcome known, like our pal Sisyphus below) which are fun to participate in and good intellectual stimulation, frequently generate ten times the amount of replies and vibrant energy than the efforts of occasional Insiders posting trip write ups or travel ideas.    sisyphus

Whether it's e-bays decline today (are you still with us, Carl?), or the fact that Arne didn't invite me to the Grand Opening of the 1175 room Marriott Marquis in downtown DC, I'm putting on my eeyore face today and commenting about what a shame it appears that the infamous Baseball Stories and Hotel Reviews contest really sapped the participation rate out of Insiders (I'm convinced, more than the takeaway of coffee at CY or Cat. 1-5 Certificates).

Anyway, with my 'woe is me' out of the way, here's today travel tip;  The terrific Chicago North SpringHill which often offers fantastic off demand (winter, Thanksgiving, Christmas) rates in the eighties and nineties, providing terrific views of Lake Michigan, great breakfasts, and four, count 'em, four daily newspapers down in the breakfast room (free) also will, if asked, provide (at least elites) a coupon for attending the attached Residence Inn Manager's reception, which is pretty doggone good. Keep on keepin' on remaining Insiders/lurkers

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

40% of bookings are from the mobile app, that's truly crazy.  Must be the millenniums who have the eyesight to see the size 2 font and spend all day on their smartphones in the CY bistro and then the lobby where they all gather to do their evening work while speaking not a word to anyone.

WOW

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I think the Marriott business model (own vurtually no hotels) is working well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...