2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2014 8:20 PM by vaboywnder RSS

Transparent Airfares Act of 2014

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently read on a travel blog that Congress is considering a bill that would void a 2012 Department of Transportation ruling called the "Full-Fare Advertising Rule" that requires airlines to display the final price of an airline ticket when listing fares in advertising or on their website.  I think most frequent travelers like myself would agree that we enjoy being able to see the "final price" of airline tickets when shopping for airfare.  Personally I wish car rental agencies had to follow the same rules.

Congressional supporters (both republican and democrat) of the Transparent Airfares Act are arguing that the full fare advertising rule is allowing the Department of Transportation a means to hide ever increasing taxes and fees from public scrutiny.

Here is a link to another travel blog with more information about this proposed new bill:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/transparent-airfares-act-of-2014-making-airfare-purchases-less-transparent/

If you would like to show your support for or against the new bill you may do so here:

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr4156

I'm hoping this new bill will not pass but currently it has lots of support in Congress.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Transparent Airfares Act of 2014
    erc Platinum

I'm with you and certainly for transparent pricing - the bad news, misleading pricing often, unfortunately for the consumer, works and increases sales. StubHub and others who list total costs while others don't, have currently lost market share vs. others who only list face value and then add on fees at closing. And is it really any different than Marriott putting on their grid $199 rates, only for the lodger to discover that it's either Advanced Pay, only one out of five nights, or both? 

Bottom line, with all the money at stake, we best not rely on Congress to protect us (granted, it would be terrific if Congress actually was productive, but I also think it would be great if I was Mike Trout ). Yes, it's a chore to backtrack every thirty seconds (often to discover "your session has expired") but it beats the consequences of getting hosed by hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for sharing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Transparent Airfares Act of 2014
      vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

If the Transparent Airfares Act gets passed I can actually see it leading to higher prices with the airlines.  Right now many airlines like to advertise low fares like $69 one way.  Under the current law known as "Full Fare Advertising Rule" the advertised fare of $69 has to include the taxes and fees.  I'm sure if the proposed "Transparent Airfares Act" passes then the same airlines will advertise $69 fares again but it will not include taxes and fees resulting in much more profit for the airlines.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...