5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2014 10:08 PM by rinny54 RSS

Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
As lovely as any European cathedral, Washington DC is the home of this magnificent church.  It can be somewhat difficult to get to for out of town visitors. Whenever I'm catching a play at the well regarded Hartke Theatre or a ballgame at Catholic University, I always allow time for a walkabout of the grounds and some peaceful, contemplative time inside; regardless of one's spiritual beliefs, the church is awe inspiring.

My apologies, I don't blog or do photo albums (nor intend to learn) so just scroll peacefully through the photos below;
Click on photo for clearer image

20140426_130800_resized.jpg    20140426_130635_resized.jpg

20140426_130428_resized.jpg

20140426_122113_resized.jpg    20140426_123144_resized.jpg

20140426_122157_resized.jpg       20140426_122151_resized.jpg

20140426_122635_resized.jpg       20140426_122103_resized.jpg

20140426_122151_resized.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
    insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Wow!  I love Washington DC and have been to the National Cathedral many times but the Basilica is now on my list to visit during my next trip to DC May 24-27 thanks to your beautiful pictures.  It looks like I can take the Metro Red Line to the Brookland/CUA station and it is just a short walk from there.

Thank you so much!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

That'll work, letting you out about a half mile away. As always, stay alert. The Red Line is used by a lot of teenagers during the day after school and several cell phones have been snatched, especially from Gallery Place/Chinatown (Verizon Center stop) on. Shrine closes at 7pm in the spring. Enjoy.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Thanks for the warning, I'm usually pretty careful since I travel alone.  As far as snatching my cell phone I am still lovingly clinging to a 5 year BlackBerry so I doubt if anyone would want to snatch it (they just might laugh at me) and I typically don't have my head buried in it; emails and texts can always wait as far as I'm concerned.

I can't wait to see the Basilica!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Erc,

This is tremendous.  Josh said it well.  Did not know about it.  Thank you for the photos and info.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have been to both the Basilica & the National Cathedral. Both are majestic, but the Cathedral is austere & cold while the Basilica is inviting, warm, soothing & inspiring. You feel as if a spiritual blanket is enveloping you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...