8 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2014 3:57 PM by anadyr RSS

Alan Shepard

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Today in 1961 Alan Shepard was the first American in space.  In the late 1980s and early 1990's, Rear Admiral Shepard was a fixture here in Monterey in the past, playing golf at the former US Navy Golf Course, adjacent to the Naval Postgraduate School, which was formerly the Hotel Del Monte.  That's a lot of formerly listings.  This was a great man, who this day in 1961 started us on to our voyage to the Moon.  He was there in 1969 as well.

Alan.jpg

Alan 2.jpgAlan 3.jpg

stamp.jpeg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • Re: Alan Shepard
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

This man had "The Right Stuff"!

Met him in Cocoa Beach at The Mercury 25th Anniversary.  Very quiet man, to me, he was a wonderful person, signed an autograph, and seemed pretty private.  These original "Seven" were really humble and special people. 

Thank-you for sharing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've got his autograph too, though I never met him. My cousin asked him for an extra autograph "for my cousin in Australia" during an appearance almost 40 years ago. I have it tucked away in a safe place.

I shook his hand at the Navy Golf Course and found him to be a humble man, as most great ones are.  His golf was passable even though he hit a great distance on the moon.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

anadyr, thanks for the reminder!  I nearly forgot!  After all, today is also Boy's Day (Children's Day) and Cinco de Mayo  

Yesterday was Star War's Day of course, I forgot that.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PTDC0044.JPG

Anadyr,  this was the last time I saw Admiral Shepard alive.  It was a memorable night in more ways than one.  The night was June 17th, 1994 at KSC, Astronaut Memorial Hall of Fame.  The Apollo Astronauts were there, but the bigger news that night was after the party.  OJ, went on his famous "Ride" and no-one could believe what he was doing.  OJ had "Captivated" the nation with his moves.  This news involving OJ continued thru the trial, and will go on thru history, until he finds the killer!

Location Brand Hotel
    Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
      jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

my mother graduated from high school with him Pinkerton academy Derry NH

small world

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...