15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2015 3:36 PM by phctourist RSS

Where do you stay and what do you see in London?

myl Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Which hotel is recommended for first timers who have 4 days to spend in and around London? No children, just 2 "mature"adults??

Also, what are the MUST places to see and go?

MYL

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
United Kingdom
London, England
  • Re: Where do you stay and what do you see in London?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

My absolute must visit in London is the Tower of London, which I visit almost every time I'm there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I would not disagree with that Prof.  Have I ever mentioned I used to work very close by the Tower, and used to have my lunch on Tower Green?   Yup, oh well, that's me.

But seriously, there are so very many wonderful places in London to visit, 4 days is a very short time - as Jerrycoin will confirm.  I live in the UK as you know.  Shortly we are going to London again for a week (we go usually twice a year).  Every time we visit some old favourites and some new experiences.

Basically, we would never get bored with London!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tommo,

Right on!

There is enough to WALK to from County Hall to keep one busy for one week!  But I could say the same for Grosvenor Place and most Marriott's in London!

That makes London a very special place to visit.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

That is so cool, tommo!  The first time I ever visited the Tower they still had an area, block and posted sign where wives and others were killed during the reign of Henry VIII.  It was rather unfortunate to see how many tourists posed as ready to have their heads cut off.  It wasn't there on my most recent foray, though I got to really appreciate the other towers (esp the White Tower and Bloody Tower) plus a great view of the Thames.  Also, if you can get a bit more time, a trip down?river to Hampton Court will really take you back into Tudor history.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well, I have done a lot of cool things in my life.  Antarctica was especially cool - well actually freezing.   Seriously, I have done a lot of stupid things as well. 

I used to work in Pepys Street (the offices have been demolished and there is a hotel there now) so literally round the corner from the Tower.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Kensington Marriott is a great choice if you are a bit budget conscious. 

The first thing to see in London must be the Tower of London.  The British Museum is another must see!

Be certain to stop at the half price ticket window and see at least one play.  There are hundreds of other sites to see and it just depends on what you like to do!

Location Brand Hotel
      London, England
    gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Hi Myl

I was fortunate to visit London last February and I believe that you will truly enjoy your experience.  I hope that my wife and I are able to return in the future as six days just didn't seem long enough.  Though I am certainly not an expert, the sites that I would visit again and in no particular order are: Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London and Windsor Castle..

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Absolutely right Jerry & gm.  Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Windsor Castle (not in walking distance of County Hall!), Churchill War Rooms, St James Park, Hyde Park, Docklands (even Jerrycoin isn't familiar with Docklands, and he has been to London masses of times), Greenwich (Observatory, Maritime Museum and Cutty Sark), Docklands Light Railway just so you can travel on a driverless train, Victoria & Albert Museum, Borough Market, Thames River Trip, Top Theatre, I could go on, and on and on.  And don't even get me started on restaurants and pubs!

Oops!  Forgot to mention Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.  How could I have missed that?

blava007 Platinum

myl

Few options and ideas.

We visited Westminster Abbey few times, while visiting you have couple of options; Individual Tour, but I would strongly and absolutely suggest that you sign-up for and take the guided tour “VERGER-LED TOURS” when visiting the Westminster Abbey; see details and times:  http://www.westminster-abbey.org/visit-us/tours,  the additional small charge is worth every penny.

Secondly, I would also like to suggest that you take the Free London Walking Tour (3+ hours), the guides work for tips, they know the details and history of the city, they are passionate and love what they do, http://www.newlondon-tours.com/daily-tours/royal-london-free-tour.html

A hidden secret/jewel is the “The Wallace Collection” museum;
    http://www.wallacecollection.org/?gclid=CJKBo_jOkr4CFceCfgoda0oAWQ

Couple of websites that could provide you additional information:

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Oh, and of course, take a tour bus as soon as you get there to get a really good feel of London from the start.

The Original London Sightseeing Tour - London's Best Open Top Bus Tour

tommo781,

Absolutely right!

The Original London Sightseeing Tour is the first thing I would recommend on a full day in London.  The open air experience is really relaxing and interesting!

IMG_2171.JPG

The "Big Red Bus" directly in front of County Hall!  Note, "Big Ben" in the background.  This is a fun way to see London.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Jerry, Have you ever been on the London By Night bus tour? See London By Night - London By Night Sightseeing Tour Bus I would recommend it to all MRIs visiting London.  Seeing the city by night is a different experience altogether.  Although I know London well, even I was entranced by it.  We were fortunate when we went on it as it was a crisp, clear night at the end of October.  So the trip was not spoiled by bad weather.  At one point the bus stopped at a certain point on Waterloo Bridge.  We were all told to look to our left, and we saw the London Eye in glorious technicolour, but the angle was such that Big Ben was slap bang in the middle of the Eye.  Amazing!  I just wish I had a photograph, but unfortunately I haven't.

Tommo,

No, have not taken a night tour of London!  Sounds like a lot of fun!

If you have not posted  picture of Big Ben from Waterloo Bridge by this September, let's make it a point to get that photo!  That would be great!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'd include a visit to St. Paul's. If you're up to a climb, the view from the top of the dome is amazing. Also tour the Globe Theater.

Globe.jpg

Plenty of choices as to where to stay. Much depends on how close into the city you want to be (but location does come with a price). Interests will determine much of your itinerary, so let us know what you like. You'll get some great suggestions. I asked similar questions last year and the community really came through.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Myl, everyone has excellent suggestions, but they are by no means a comprehensive list.  London is a city that keeps on giving, there is so much to do and 4 days will only be enough to scratch the surface.

danferrario Member

I've just been in London for few days of work in Haughton International Fair and I had just one day to visit the city. I took http://www.london-citytour.com/ bus (Tower Loop) and visited classic spots like Trafalgar Square, London Bridge, Tower of London, Big Ben, London Eye..it was a rush but the service was good and I had a free meal at Planet Hollywood (you can choose one free activity with http://london.iventurecard.com/london-tourist-attractions/ ). I can recommend it. I think bus tours in London are a MUST for people who have just few days for visit such a big and extended city.

Horse Guards

Westminster Bridge