8 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2014 9:10 PM by bpelican RSS

Reservation Priorities at Marriott Vacation Club Properties

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We were recently informed by a Marriott Vacation Club Representative that, although we are Premier Plus Vacation Club Points Owners, Marriott Rewards Members were given priority over us at Marriott Vacation Club properties.  She told us that this was the case because from a marketing perspective they were obviously better prospects for buying into the Marriott Vacation Club.  This flies in the face of what we were told when we upgraded to Premier Plus Members, that we would definitely have the highest priority when booking reservations at MVC properties.  It would also explain why sometimes we have difficultly obtaining reservations even a year in advance at some of our favorite properties.  I would appreciate it if someone would clarify for me if this is indeed the MVC policy. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, USA
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
  • Re: Reservation Priorities at Marriott Vacation Club Properties
    ansaa Member

Hello bpelican,

Would you mind sending me a private message with your contact information and Marriott Rewards number? We would like to have a Marriott Vacation Club Customer Care representative reach out to you directly to address this as it does not sound accurate to us. Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I am both Marriott Vacation Club Points subscriber and I also accumulate Marriott Reward Points via travel and Marriott Credit Card usage. I don't think I receive any special treatment, or priority,  when booking MVC reservations, at least to my knowledge. Perhaps I'd like to think so. MVC stays count as night stays toward Marriott Reward status, however.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

I'd like to hear the response/true info on this ansaa.

erc Platinum

I usually don't respond to Vacation Club issues, because as a non-participant I don't know squat about the policies (although from reading tef, mikieg, yourself, and other experts, I've concluded I don't care to play), but I'll make an exception in this case since you're an Insider pal. Will we really be surprised when the Marriott rep responds, "oh no, no Mr. Pelican, that's not the policy whatsoever and our associate was mistaken to state it as such, etc etc etc". It reminds me when iahflyr asked about award bookings not being available for hotel rooms eleven months out and got a similar response. The reality (as it seems to me) is that Marriott Corp. sets guidelines/policies/rules (call them whatever makes everyone comfortable) and the owner/operators interpret them to their liking and as long as they don't impact Marriott's cash flow or reputation, it's pretty much "decide at the local level" (which is often effective for all parties, but sometimes, as in this case, not necessarily so).

I think you may have gotten a rare, truthful insight into how Vacation Club intends to maximize their performance. All I know is that I, a non-owner of a timeshare, can rent a room virtually anytime I want and often at the Plat Offer 35% off. That sure seems to fit with tef's assessment that Vacation Club rents out (and sells) rooms and charges owners the maintenance of those rooms without sharing the revenue. I have friends who own Marriott memberships and it's like trying to snag Jimmy Buffett tickets to secure the week they thought they had purchased, twenty years ago.

Ok, that's all from the peanut gallery, I have nothing else to say, because like Sgt. Schultz, "I know nothing" and I'll await the "official" response with curiosity like everyone else.

Best wishes for a satisfactory outcome.

Thanks erc for your insights on this issue.  I haven't gotten an official response yet, but I'm sure they have to respond as you indicated.  As you can see, ansaa did respond to me very quickly which I appreciate.  I hope she follows through when a response is forthcoming from the MVC so we all can see "the official word" on this site for what that's worth.  Thanks again.  I always enjoy your posts.

Sorry, meant to get back to you all sooner.  I was contacted promptly by an MVC Executive after ansaa contacted the MVC.  He said that the individual (who we identified by name) who told us that non owners were given a higher priority because they are better prospects for the MVC was incorrect.   He also said that he would bring this to the attention of the MVC executive team.  He called back several days after this to assure us that the sales person had been apprised that she had given out the wrong information to us.  He apologized profusely and has tried to help us with some personal MVC scheduling issues.  Although I can't imagine his saying anything but what he said, I am satisfied that he and his apology was sincere.  Thank all of you for your input on this question.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...