4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2014 2:19 AM by tommo781 RSS

Best way to find out what a charge was for?

7 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at the Amsterdam Marriott for 3 nights on points. Since we were on points and had no extra charges (that I knew of) when we checked out there was no bill.

Now, a few weeks later when reviewing my credit card statement I see a charge for $5.55 (probably 4 Euro).

It's not a huge amount or anything, so an international call to the hotel hardly seems worthwhile. I tried sending an email via the Marriott Contact Us page requesting the bill, but in the meantime I thought I'd see what other people would do.

The only 2 possibilities that I can think of are that we had 2 incoming calls to our room and I just found out that my wife kept the bathroom slippers. But, I've never been charged for either of those before.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Best way to find out what a charge was for?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This is the reason that I prefer to be given my bill before I leave.  It used to be left under the door the night before check out and it still is in a few hotels but almost all don't.  Two different times in the last year, I found a charge that was not mine when checking out in the morning and had to catch a plane.  In one case, they switched the last 2 digits of my room number.  The person who signed the bill belonged in a different room.  This took time and it was me who figured out what must have happened.  They went through asking if another person in my room could have signed and then if I authorized another person to sign to my room.  This would have been hard to fix if I was not standing at the front desk.  The other time, I checked the night before and found that a coupon for $10 offered to me as platinum was not taken off my bill.  I was told that it would be taken care of that evening and my new bill would be left under my door and it was not.  So back to the front desk in the morning and the desk clerk took care of it and I was off.

I get tired of Marriott saying that they are going green when it is a cost saving measure.  If they don't want to leave a paper bill under my door, e-mail it to me the night before check out not 3 days after I leave.

I would guess that most of would like the bill left as they used to do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I agree Californian.  Many years ago, the team of 8 I worked with had an offsite conference in the UK.  We were all booked into the same hotel - I must stress this was not a Marriott - and arrived on Sunday for a Monday morning start.  We had arranged that we would all congregate in the bar before dinner.  As always happens on these occasions, as we gradually drifted in to the bar, we all asked the latest arrival what number room they were in, so we could ring each other if necessary.  The bar was very busy with people attending conferences.

Fast forward to check out 4 days later.  All my room bill should have had on it was any newspapers, as the company picked up the meal bills.  My bill was over £100.  A colleague's was also over £100.  The receptionist looked and said they were bar bills!  HOWEVER, none of us put any bar bills on our room.  When our team was together, we always had a kitty.  We borrowed a beer glass from the bar, all put the same amount of money in it, and when it ran low, we topped it up again.  Each night one of us took it to our room.

So we asked for proof.  She produced a sheaf of bar bills for my room and my colleague's, took one look at them and said "these aren't yours, are they."  The signatures were nothing like our check in signatures, and the signature on the bar bills varied wildly.  It became clear that other guests had overheard our conversation on the Sunday night, and had used our room numbers for their bar bills, knowing the rooms were occupied, so the charge would be accepted.  The problem was, the bar staff never asked for a room card to prove anything; they just took the customer's word for it.

From that day to this I have always paid my bill before leaving the hotel, after checking it properly.  If there ever is a discrepancy or query, face to face is the only way to deal with it in my opinion.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tommo781,

Wow!  That is a "Powerful" story!  Never thought about someone getting your room number and running up a bar, or any other bill!

One thing I would like to add to the "Mini Bar Caper", and many hotels just touching or moving anything in the mini bar, a sensor will detect it, and you will get charged.  It is very important to get a "Final receipt" prior to leaving the hotel, and make sure it is correct along with your correct MR number!

Thanks again for sharing this post!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

And every word true Jerry!  Of course, someone can only charge stuff to another room if the hotel systems are slack and not adhered to, which was obviously the case where mine and my colleague's bill were concerned.  I expect the culprits had realised the bar staff never asked for room cards, so used it to get free drinks.

What you say about the mini bar sensors is confirmation of what I said.  Thankyou.  We always check our bills and pay before leaving (and make sue the MRI number is correct).  Saves any hassle afterwards.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...