8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2016 6:48 PM by tker RSS

Use a travel package cert for my daughter?

melroseman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone out there tell me if I can have my daughter and her soon-to-be husband use the certificate for 7 nights that I have from a travel package I got a couple of months ago?  I will have to add points for the category hotel they want, but that's no problem.  I know I can use points for someone else's room (of course I won't get credit for the stay) but I want to confirm I can use this cert.  It is, after all, a different Use a travel package for my daughter?form of points, right?

Appreciate any answers.  Thanks in advance...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Use a travel package cert for my daughter?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Calling tker.  

melroseman,

If he's still staying at Marriotts and following Insiders, tker is the man in the know with travel packages.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

You sure can. Piece of cake. You simply make the reservation. Attach the certificate. Call MR and add your daughter to the reservation. Award stays are completely transferrable. The only time they aren't is promotional certs like the Chase Marriott Cat 1-5 etc.

I am writing this reply after checking in for 11 nights today at the Marriott Surf Club Aruba…… Ahhhh….

The miles portion has to credit to a FF account in your name though.

melroseman Platinum

Thanks for the quick response!!  Much appreciated.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Awesome, tker. Aruba is on my bucket list.  My son just went there for his honeymoon using our timeshare trade to the Ocean Club & he loved it. He also stayed at the new Ritz Carlton in Aruba & LOVED it!  Did you use Destination Points to get so many nights?

We actually own two MVCI weeks. Haven't gotten into the DC points. One week is here at Surf Club. The other is at Phuket Beach Club. We tack on a few extra nights on our own. This year thats at the Ren.  We are checking out the Ritz for sure!

harryballsanga Platinum

Hi,

I am in the same boat as this and was wondering if this worked out for your daughter.  I just booked a 7 night stay in Bali under my name (Plat, Southwest Travel Package from a year ago) and called the line to add him.  The person wished me a good trip but also mentioned that I HAVE to show up at the front desk at some point during the stay for them to be able to "use my points for the reservation.".   Kind of makes me worried since I won't be in there.  Am I overthinking this or should I call them back and have the room be under just his name? 

Thanks!

homoviator Platinum

harryballsanga,

If I were you, yes, I'd absolutely change the name on the reservation to your son's. You can have a desk clerk who may overlook it, but that's not a risk I'd be willing to take, especially all the way in Bali.  Potentially they could charge him rack rake for 7 nights.  omg! Occasionally I use points for my mom. I always put the reservation in her name. I just call the marriott phone number and they are happy to oblige. I feel like sometimes I'm able to change the name myself from the edit feature, but I'm not totally sure since I don't do it that often.  I would really discourage you from leaving your name on the reservation.

I would confirm with reservations that you WILL not be there and that your daughter will be. You need the reservation and certificate to be recorded that way. Again, its totally allowed so you and your daughter will be fine. They will have to have their name on reservation at a minimum. I have done this multiple times.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...