7 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2014 11:34 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Where to stay in Rome

jccapecod Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all

Just interested to know the pros and cons of the full service Marriott hotels in Rome.  We will be traveling there next April to visit our daughter who will be studying at Loyola which the address is Via Massimi, 114/A, Roma, Italy.  I was o

Boscolo Palace or Boscolo Exedra.  Does anyone have thoughts on these hotels as they compare?  They seem relatively close to each other, any thoughts on the locations, ameninities, service?  We will be staying on points as well, are any of these places discriminating to that?

Thanks for any advice!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Rome, Italy
  • Re: Where to stay in Rome
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jccapecod,

Never been to either of these properties, but recently spent a week at The Grand Flora.  Would go to Rome, just to stay at this hotel.  If you consider it, please look at previous postings that others and I have had on this fine place.  Likewise, try to find previous postings on the other properties in Rome.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with Jerry.  We were only there two nights (I wish we had more time) but the location, property, staff, morning breakfast on the roof top were all beyond our expectations.  We will definitely be back and this is a property I highly and enthusiastically recommend.

ansaa Member

Hello jccapecod,

I love your question for a few reasons: 1. I love Rome and 2. I studied at Loyola University Chicago and had many friends who studied abroad at the Rome Center. I actually studied in Barcelona and had the opportunity to visit them a few times. Your daughter will absolutely love her experience, that was the best 6 months of my life!

In terms of where to stay here is a great thread by other Insiders that I would recommend looking in to:Re: Rome, Italy. There is another thread more specific to Boscolo Palace here: Re: Boscolo Palace Roma. I am sure other Insiders will chime in as well.

Enjoy your trip, we would love to see photos when you return!

sirtravelalot Platinum

Beware of the Boscolo Exedra.  I stayed on points 2 nights and was then charged $250 euro Upon departure.  Trying to resolve with the hotel staff was like negotiating with a band of gypsies.  I posted a review yesterday on this site but it is conveniently missing. 

jgtravels Gold

I completely agree.  I just got back from staying a couple of nights there last week and was treated horribly.  When I asked about an upgrade (the room I was given was in a dark corner looking out at a brick wall), I was told that they were booked up and there was nothing available.  No apologies, nothing.  I then went online to check if reservations were still available for the night and surprisingly I could have reserved any room in the hotel.  Obviously, there were rooms available.

I tried again later that night with the same results.  Okay, no big deal.  My time in Rome was short, no sense worrying about an upgrade.  However, the rudeness with the employees at the front desk continued.  I stopped by to ask about the breakfast schedule and was treated like a pauper begging for food, being curtly informed that the "free" breakfast was very limited and if I wanted to order off the menu, I would have to pay.  Ummm, sure.  Whatever.

Let me say that this hotel has a nice lobby and the room , although tiny, was nicely appointed.  The hotel is very convenient, being a couple minutes walk from Termini station.  It served as a good base point for exploring the city.  However, the pool area was very poorly kept.  The upstairs lounge/seating area had food and trash everywhere....not just the 1st time I went up there but multiple times as I checked to see if they were going to clean it up.  I heard multiple others talk about how surprisingly dirty it was as well.

The most disappointing part of the stay came at the end when I asked for a late check out and I was told that there was no way that could happen.  I asked to speak to a manager, and I was told that someone would call me back....no call back ever.  Okay, so I decided to store my luggage and get moving with a full day planned at the Vatican.  The concierge had helped me get the tour together and she told me that storing my luggage wouldn't be a problem.  When I called the front desk one last time to check (again, curtly told NO), I asked if I could at least use the gym locker room to freshen up when I returned.  The front desk acted as if I had asked for their first born child.  I was told that that would be completely impossible.  "We are completely booked up sir and we can't allow that."  So, I go to the Vatican, store my luggage and return around 6 pm.  I go to retrieve my luggage and ask for a copy of the final bill.  The attendant informed me that there were multiple mini bar charges along with a dinner that I did not buy.  I told her that that was impossible.  She said that since I left the hotel and did not check out properly that my card had already been charged.  Again, in shock, I asked to speak to a manager, but one wasn't available.  The only reply I got was this, " Well sir, we can offer you a bottle of water to make up for the charges to your room."  I swear to you that that was the response.  I did not make that up. 

I have never written a complaint about a hotel before and I stay all over the world.  I have to say that I have never been treated like I was at the Boscolo Exedra.  I've seen multiple complaints now on various sites about this hotel, and I'm really hoping that Marriott does something about the customer experience. 

Would I stay at this hotel again?  Not in a million years.  The worst part is that I wasted 80,000 Marriott points for an experience that was miserable. 

jccapecod Platinum 2 Reviews

Thank you guys for all of your input...  Grand Flora it is!!

Jerry you helped me decide on our Marriott for Paris last year, and it was one of our best stays ever! 

Now on to figure out where else to go.... Anyone have Italian itineraries to share?  We plan to do a weekend in Postano staying at Eden Roc after our stay in Rome.  Prior to that it is either Venice to Florence/countryside, or just Florence/countryside.  We won't have a lot of time, probably a total of 5 nights there.  (we are spending 5 nights in Rome and 3 in Positano).

THinking about Renaissance Tuscany II Ciocco, but afraid it may be too remote.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jccapecod,

Glad to have been of service!

If you go to The Grand Flora, for sure, let me know, I will give you the names of those wonderful staff members that will help you!  You may get lucky with KH B732 @ HNL and my favorite room 620?

Please review the previous posts on Rome, it will really help you!  Let all of us know at MRI know if you have more questions!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...