23 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 4:05 PM by anadyr RSS

Rudeness

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Pet Peeve for a Tuesday.

Concierge Lounge, Boston Copley Marriott, packed at 8am. At a six top table a Salesman (he said he was to whomever he was chatted to very loudly on his cell phone) was holding forth, describing his new car, where his kids were going to private school, etc. He occupied four of the six seats at that table, himself, briefcase, other assorted paraphernalia on the chairs.

I wish I had that device that renders cell phones mute (but alas they are illegal in the US) by interrupting the communications link with the tower that he was using. He talked on for at least twenty minutes as other guests passed by looking for a seat. Did he care? Nope? Was he rude? Yep? Is he all too common  a type encounter in CLs?  Yes.

Whatever he is selling I have no desire to buy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rudeness
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

That is a situation where the CL Associate should step up to the plate and ask him to speak in a more quiet tone as well as move his junk so others might be able to find a seat.  Then they can talk loud so he can't hear his stupid phone maybe he'd leave.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We would have loved for that to happen but the CL attendants were busy clearing dishes and bringing out more food. Alas, this is the state of things these days--being considerate died when people feel that they are entitled to do whatever they want at the expense of everyone else. We gave up our seats to a family with young children while Salesman kept his.  He was clueless, but I am sure excels in what he does. As I said if I find out I will never buy it.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Well said Flyr.  Right on target for a jerk like this. 

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

yeah I've run into similar before.  Sometimes I'll fire up a call within ear shot and just mention in a loud enough tone what a jackleg the guy is and voice the frustration so they can hear me.  Sometimes it works sometimes not.   I had a coworker that actually would just go and move folks stuff and sit down at their table.  Always funny to see their reaction but typically didn't challenge him as he was a rather imposingly built guy LOL

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

maybe got the privilege as United frequent flyer vs the old way of staying many many nights

Whatever he is a narcissist of the first order and enjoys hearing himself.

That's a great concept, let the imposing figure take care of it.  In days gone by I would travel with a similar character, he'd get on a plane and find someones carry-on stuff above his row it was game on.  He would politely ask who owned it, no reply he'd take it out of the overhead bin, put his in and walk a few rows back and put the stuff on the other side of the plane.....LOL  Of course he was 6'3" and about 250 on a light day.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Based on his size I would say he truly was a big jerk!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

While we should be able to negotiate and advocate for ourselves where others behaviors are concerned, it can be risky.  As such, I really do loathe confrontation, especially risky confrontation with a stranger (you never know what you might get thrown back at you), and is why this topic generates a visceral response for me.  It should be quite okay to approach someone with a reasonable question or request, yet when we do so, it is at the risk of experiencing an ugly encounter, like razorbackfan's unfortunate exchange in a CL with a parent of an unruly child  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/99733#99733, and certainly why so many of us would rather avoid confrontation all together.  If we opt not to however, how will clueless adults ever learn how to behave?  Sometimes it takes a nudge of social pressure to get the job done, whether it's us or the CL attendant.  I would like to think that even if people respond in a nasty fashion, that they will think twice about committing the same behavior in the future.

Like when an airline passenger is knowingly sitting in your seat.  Let it go or make a stand?  In Anadyr's case here, if there were no other vacant spots in the CL, I think I may have considered tapping him on the shoulder and asking if we could share the table space if he wasn't expecting others.  A big problem with cell phone usage (aside from the fact that it seems to render users inattentive to their surroundings) is that so often people speak into the device with raised voices.  If people spoke more quietly, it might be more of a non-issue.  We noticed last year in one CL in Europe that a number of people (sorry, but they were men, though women can do it too) apparently seemed to enjoy speaking to the entire room (by virtue of their volume level), rather than just the people at their table.  Like what they had to say was surely of interest to everyone within earshot.  It was a bit irritating for us to be forced not be able to mind our own business.  My brother-in-law, an Australian - quietly - shared that that in his experiences, it seems to be a marked habit among Americans and that Australians don't do that.  In other words, it may perhaps be a cultural thing.  I'm glad he shared his observation.  It's interesting and has served to make me more aware of my own conversational volume level.

At work my fellow analysts and I were moved out of a quiet, private office where we could think and collaborate, to a huge cube farm on a different floor.  Our cubes are now set apart from a counter where the public is served, only by a long, tall makeshift wall of metal filing shelves.  This means we can hear every conversation, every sob story of death, divorce and betrayal, along with occasional shouts of anger, and abusive language and personal threats hurled upon property clerks and appraisers from unhappy property owners and taxpayers.  Some of these taxpayers don't speak, they boom.  Additionally, they conduct business over their cell phones with the speaker on, and shout into it, all the while staring at a sign in front of them that says, "cell phone usage in the lobby is prohibited."  The clerks who deal with these people allow it to happen.  I finally decided to take it upon myself to "confront" these folks with the rules and the expectation that out of courtesy, they be followed.  So far, so good (well, except that I want my old office back!)  Maybe over time, the culture will change as people become aware of what is and isn't socially acceptable.  Sometimes things need to be tactfully and artfully pointed out.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

If you think the cell phones are bad at times now, wait till you see the next step in technology that will impact us all:

Drones!

It will be a "Revolution of outrage"?

Jerry,

Drones are here.  One of the last projects I got put on before retirement was working with local law enforcement and similar agencies in the county I live for them to be able to fly their drone.....that technology is already in place.

And I thought drones only referred to bees and rude salesmen in the CL! Who knew?

Excellent post Pluto, very very well put.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

It's sad that there are people out there who honestly don't understand the concept of OTHER PEOPLE. This clown was sprawled out taking up 4 of the 6 seats a the table. A reasonable single traveler probably wouldn't sit at a 6 person table by themselves assuming a family or group of colleagues could use the space unless its super crowded as it was in this case. If it were me, I would have directly asked him, "Are you using this seat?" As for the yelling on the phone I can't stand that. I would just give him the stink eye and let him know he is annoying everyone in the CL. Inconsiderate people like him usually don't like that. 

He seemed to be clueless. Other people including lounge attendants cleared away his food debris and asked (politely) if he needed anything else--the strong hint that he should leave the table, but he blabbed on and on. We now know that his BMW is being sent from the factory, we just never got the VIN number--he may have said that earlier.

I looked for him again today but he must have checked out or he was earlier in the CL. Everyone breather a sigh a relief.

Yes he was rude,  no he had no clue, and yes, people like him deserve their own special hotel amenities, without cell phones

Maybe the hotel is monitoring Insiders saw this thread and tossed him out.

One change this am was that the FD Manager was there to assist the assistants in cleaning and serving.food.  I thanked him and the ladies too.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

BOOYAH! Another awesome quip from IAHFLYR!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I think it's also unfortunate that the attendants didn't make the case to this guy about the 'situation' he was creating. I don't think it's our (customer) responsibility to try and regulate bad behavior but I do think, especially in a packed CL, that the folks on duty need to monitor the issues and deal with them. In this case and knowing it's Boston, (as a former resident) I'm surprised nobody shackled this guy with a 'wake up' call.

Hopefully, since I'll be at the Copley in July, this guy won't be on a re-visit.

Platinum 4 Reviews

Sounds like a Yankees fan to me. Haha

If he was he'd be in deep you know what!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I've read everyone's comments and the only thing I can add is that he had no "upbringing" whatsoever, and his money (New BMW, etc.) does not buy him class!

So true. I know that he feels he is entitled (and to that I say 'whatever' makes you feel important.  He is shallow, and deserves what he gets--I would rather not be around him again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...