6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2014 9:52 PM by californian RSS

Is This How Your Airline Treats Checked Luggage?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Last year ssindc started a poll http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1276 asking if you check your luggage or carry it on with you.  Some of us like myself and erc (usual suspects) had some fun with him on the checked vs carry-on concept as SS is a check bag kind of man, but I wonder if he might have change his mind after looking at this video?

Air Canada baggage fail 20 ft bag toss in Toronto - YouTube

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is This How Your Airline Treats Checked Luggage?
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Several years ago, I changed flights in Seattle to go to Alaska.  I was in the Alaskan Airlines club class lounge, which had large windows looking over the plane gates.  Very interesting, so I was watching.   I saw a HUGE guy - honestly I have never seen such a large guy - loading luggage into the hold.  But the word "loading" didn't really apply.  He dealt with the main carts of luggage in the normal way, loading baggage onto the moving rollers thingymajig that takes it to the hold.  When he had finished the thingymajig was taken away.  But then an additional cart with just a few items of luggage turned up.  He stood in front of the cart on the ground, took a piece of luggage and literally threw it up into the hold.  If it went through the hold opening, someone inside pulled it in.  If it didn't, it crashed to the ground, and he picked it up and threw it again.  Everyone in the lounge watched - mouths wide open and speechless.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey, IAHFLYR, that's my bag!!!!  No, actually, my big, heavy bag (with two suits, and week's worth of dress shirts and ties, dress shoes, etc.) is with me in Kuwait.  Once again, you make a compelling case for carry-on luggage, but, but....

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

On my return from LHR last year, I came through Toronto. Clearing US customs was much easier than on the east coast.

Looking at the video, I was glad I checked my bag in London and not at the gate. On the outbound flights, I carryed a 22" carry-on, but to avoid hassles, I checked on the way home. Good thing as I would have had to gate check it from YYZ-CMH. Made me glad my only carry-ons for that final flight were a tiny day pack and the duty-free whiskey, um, I mean "medicine," I purchased in Toronto.

I'm never a fan of gate checking my carry-on, but I understand the need on the smaller planes. There really is no room for anything much bigger than a bread box. (Do people still use bread boxes?)

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

At least they weren't pet carriers, eh?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Saw this on TV today and they said the baggage handlers were or are going to be fired.  They also said that the plane was one that they added 100 seats to and didn't add any additional overhead space.  I guess it had 3-3-3 and now is 3-5-3.  There was a lot more gate checks.  There is some sympathy for the handlers trying to get the job done in the allotted time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...