23 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2014 8:18 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Getting Grilled! By a VIP!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

IAHFLYR!

You inspired this and now, if you or anyone can share VIP "Grilling experience" with all of us at MRI, then please share!

I had a great time sharing "Grilling" stories with Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin!

Her husband must be like you, IAHFLYR, he wrote a cook-book and loves grilling!

We had plenty of laughs and I told the Governor I would send you a message and picture, so:

IMG_3888.JPG

Grill on brother, and hope to hear many more stories about grilling!  BTW, she is a wonderful lady!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel
  • Re: Getting Grilled! By a VIP!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

That is a very impressive picture Mr. Coin and I expect you to be sharing some of those recipes from the husband of the Governor!!!   Gosh I hope she didn't get too upset when you informed her of what state I am from.

Thanks for the mention and sharing that story, I'm sure you have more from that day so please share on. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

IAHFLYR,

I told her you were "South" of OKC!  She didn't seem to mind.  Her husband wrote the book, and it was another great day.  I only have great days, "When they end with a Y"!

IMG_3880.jpg

A good looking book!

IMG_3879.jpg

There's a recipe for "Grilled Veggies", one of your specialties!

Bon Appetite'

Well tonight it won't be any grilled veggies as we will saute the broccoli with mushrooms while I get ready to put the Jack Daniels, honey, brown sugar and tiny bit of soy marinaded pork chops on the grill!

I'm glad she didn't mind hearing of a guy south of OKC.....and yes, Will Rogers World Airport is a nice place to fly into/out of for sure.  I used to get up the OKC around four or five times a year when working, only because I was directed to appear and loved each trip.

IAHFLYR,

Sounds like a wonderful meal!

I was so glad we got out on our non-stop flight back to STL in 90 minutes Sunday night.  The flight was so rough, they did not let the flight attendants out of their seats. (No medicine was served)  There was winds in OK approaching 70 MPH!  They really take their "Tornado warnings" serious in OK, as it was just a year ago that they had "The big one" in Moore!

Lady Coin, has never been to Texas, and I am planning on trying some "Grilled food" together sometime in the future!

I look forward to you gathering Lady Coin and getting her down south a bit, it would be wonderful for sure.

We flew home from Corpus Christi Sunday evening and were just on the southern edge of the weather until we turned a 15 mile final for IAH landing west, hit the tops of the lower level of clouds and were tossed around a bit, but nothing like I'm sure you hit.  We had no "Meds" either, but it was a 35 minute flight or so.

IAHFLYR,

When I bring Lady Coin to Houston, maybe we should stay up around the Woodlands and then fly to Corpus or ?.

Just a thought!

Have a wonderful dinner!

ansaa Member

I love that we are keeping the grilling conversation going, jerrycoin! That is definitely a frame-worthy photo. Thanks for sharing. Like IAHFLYR said, please keep the photos (and recipes) coming!

ansaa,

Thank-you!

Will keep the recipe's and photo's coming!  You may like these:

IMG_3873.JPG

Former Va. Governor George Allen exchanging "Governor" stories with the Oklahoma Governor!

IMG_3866.JPG

Lady Coin and I enjoyed dinner with former US Ambassador to the UN, John Bolton.  Another great guy!

Location Brand Hotel
      Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel
        madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Hi jerrycoin. I see it looks as if you had a great time with the people you were with while in OKC. I don't know if you saw the post I sent you asking if you enjoyed your dinner and stay at the Renaissance? I hope all went well and I am sorry I did not get to meet up with you and Mrs. coin. I would have really enjoyed the visit but my job has me pinned down tight at the moment.

Happy Travels!  (and grilling...)

madmax,

Thanks for your nice post!

Yes, all went well in OKC, I too wished we had time to visit while I was in town.  You know you leave an invitation if you get to the "Gateway City" to say hello!

OKC is so friendly and easy for travelers.  The airport is modern and with just one terminal, you can't get lost!

Let me share a special place for you to dine and will get back to you shortly!

madmax,

I wanted to get the correct information to you, please consider dining here for a "Special Occasion"!  They are only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  You will need a reservation and ask for Lou Ann, she is a wonderful host and server.  The place sits on 5 acres, and is modeled after a famous "Castle" in Normandy, France.  The food is very good and the place is historic.  I don't have the photo's on this computer, but will have some from my other computer soon. 

The place is:

The Primrose at Castle Falls

820 N. MacArthur Blvd.

OKC, 73127

405-942-6133

Enjoy!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

thanks jerrycoin. Did you get to dine in The Library? I think that is the most intimate room in the restaurant and have heard great things about it.

madmax,

Yes!  It was a room for two!  You have to go with a four or five course meal and there is a lot of food.  Lou Ann was so pleasant and let us "Split" the pepper steak!  (Normally they won't let you split), but she new we could not each eat five courses.  The place is very reasonably priced at around $65 for a five course meal.

Like I said, will have some photo's for you this week-end!

Jerry you continue to amaze at the elbows you rub, not sure if you or anadyr find more interesting and celebrity status people...but it doesn't matter I enjoy reading and seeing them all.

IAHFLYR,

Thank-you for your kind remark!

Let me share a funny story with you.  Last week I met and shook hands with the first "Billionaire" I have ever met.  I did not know who the guy was, but was friendly and gave him a business card and invited him if he got to STL to "Say hello"!  He then gave me his business card and it had a "London" address.  We chatted about County Hall and other things.

Not really knowing who he was, I looked his name up on google.  I about "Fell off the chair", when I told Lady Coin about this guy.  This guy gave his "Fiancee" a 400,000 GBP ring, split up, and wants the ring back!

You never know who you are going to meet in "Travels"!

WOW, that's some change for a ring.  I bet you have a card file that is crazy huge as well as a who's who. 

Ya know I'm working on my second billion.  Yep, I gave up on the first!

IAHFLYR,

If you ever meet a "Billionaire",  (You are one, so you know this), "They are different"!  When we get together with us we can have a few laughs on this subject.

Just remember, "How much steak can one eat"?  You know what I mean?

Great laughs for sure.

Mrs. IAH actually has met a huge Billionaire, the Landry's mega owner.  She knows his cousin well and when we saw him at Morton's Grill here in The Woodlands in the first week it was opened the shy little Mrs. IAH walked right up to Tillman and said hello......yet she claims he was normal during her five minutes of chatting.  Other than that and the chance I had to meet and talk with former CO CEO Gordon Bethune, a few professional athletes of the past like Mario Elie (Rockets), Eric "Sleepy" Floyd (Rockets) and Tom Landry none of which are/were probably close to Billionaire status that's my claim to fame. 

But I did get to tell pilots where to go often, does that count?

IAHFLYR,

One more thing!

Luckily, I  meet a lot of people, and always like people that are "Smarter, More interesting, and more experienced" than me!  (That's a whole lot of people), especially Veteran's!  I met one such person last week in OKC!

IMG_3885.jpg

Naval Admiral (Ret.) JJ & wife Kim, in front of an Elk, "Bagged" by Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin.  You would love this couple, they live in San Diego, ( We discussed the Marina Marriott).  He was Captain of  the aircraft carrier, "Lincoln" and a most interesting Patriot!  Dumb me, I asked him if he ever made "Night landings" on an aircraft carrier?",  He looked at me a little funny, and said, "Only 600 or so times!"  It's people like this that make you appreciate our Veterans!  I just hope I have the chance to spend more time with personal "Hero's" like JJ!

As anadyr, likes to say, "Just a thought"!

That's a  great story and even better that you told it on yourself!   The Hero's definitely enjoy talking with us older folk, they light up when you tell them your friend flew tankers, and the other friend flew tankers and that I controlled many different kind of military craft......you share a lifetime of memories with them, yet they are the Hero's and without fail do not want that recognition, they just deserve it ALL.

IAHFLYR,

Thanks for sharing you take on this!

One thing that amazed me that I had not really thought of is "How much of these career Veterans spend away from home"!  The career demands are enormous and the sacrifice is also as large!

Their sacrifice is tremendous.....which makes me even more desire to walk up to them when I see them in uniform and thank them for their service and sacrifice.  And I don't care if they are fresh out of basic training, they are making a huge sacrifice regardless.

IAHFLYR,

Yes, so true!

Keep us informed of how "The Grilling" is going!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...