8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2016 1:10 PM by alisonqv RSS

King Size Bed

outbound Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I tried to book a room with a King Size Bed at a Category 7 hotel in New Orleans and was told that is no longer possible.  The room type shows 2 Double or King Size so when we check in we may end up sleeping in a double bed.  When I expressed by disappointment I was told "most of the major hotels have gone to that."  Is that the leadership you expect from Marriott?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
  • Re: King Size Bed
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hello outbound and welcome to the site. We hope you continue to post and come back for advice and good suggestions from other insiders.

I can only help you from my personal experience but I know the bed is not a guarantee. However, only once out of all my travels with king bed in my profile, I have not been given a king bed. On my reservations, it always says king bed requested. Maybe the CS rep just didn't quite know how to say that it is requested but not guaranteed. Of course all hotels only have so many kings and so many doubles so it stands to reason that there would be a possibility of not getting the bed request you want. I have been very fortunate and hopefully you will as well. Check your reservation and make sure that is says king bed requested and also that this is in your profile.

Safe Travels and let us know how it went for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
    • I am platinum and usually would be guaranteed a king bed.  I have noticed that this is not the case recently for all hotels.  I even called once and was told that that hotel would not guarantee a king bed for me.  At that point, I look for another hotel.  Things have been changing.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

They can't change the rooms around, and they have so many of each type, per night.  I usually get guaranteed a king bed, but once in awhile, it doesn't happen.  You might wish to phone the hotel and find out why you are not being guaranteed a king bed.  If the reason is that people before you have already taken them up, then they are just doing their best.  Once you find out why, you could make a decision as to whether to make the booking or not.  New Orleans can be very busy at times, and although I can't speak for the hotel, there must be some reason why this is so.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I have King Size bed on my profile, and have always got one.  If the reservation says king or twin, I ring up and say I have made a reservation and could they please ensure I get a king size bed.  I am always very polite when asking, and it has worked every time.

erc Platinum

To answer your question directly; no that's not the leadership I expect from Marriott. Of course we all occasionally run into the type of chowderhead that you bumped into, who pull answers out of their non-speaking anatomy; most major hotels (including Marriott) have not "gone to that". As a gold (since it's not a Ritz or an Edition) you are entitled as an elite to your room type request - subject to availability. Like tommo, mine has always been available, but like californian and techie mention, sometimes they aren't.

I have discovered that as Marriott pushes more and more operating policies down to the property level, a kind of 'wild west' atmosphere occurs at some properties (often to our advantage when utilized properly) and polite persistence is sometimes required to secure the desired outcome (but the knucklehead you dealt with, won't be the associate to resolve the issue for you). I have heard of examples of some perk thrown the lodger's way in the relatively rare case where their bed type wasn't available. But again, it's a property by property situation.

T & C for Gold Benefit

Guaranteed Room Type: Guaranteed priority for your requested type of room. Subject to availability at participating locations worldwide when your qualifying Elite level and specific preference are noted on the reservation for your stay. (Pillow, room location, extra bed, crib requests, etc. are not included in Guarantee.) Outside U.S. and Canada: smoking/non-smoking preferences may also be given priority, based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary and only Platinum members will have guaranteed priority for your requested type of bed and room. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.

erc Platinum

reading IAHFLYR 's response - the bottom of my T & C above caught my attention.

Whereas Gold has   "guaranteed priority for your requested type of room"   further down at the end of the T & C

only Platinum members will have guaranteed priority for your requested type of bed and room. 

What the heck is that implying? That gold's don't have bed guarantees?  What the heck is a "type of room" - one with windows and a bed!?

Holy cow, what a bunch of gobblelygook.  And now reading madmax's Helpful Answer I can see the nuance.

Well at the very least outbound, make doggone sure it's in your personal profile. Sheesh, I'm going to go mow the lawn, it's a lot less complicated!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I've always found found "King Bed Guaranteed" in my reservations, but like californian if I didn't find that on the reservation I'd be selecting another hotel even if not a Marriott.  Should I start to see this happening it will be more of the not Marriott variety in the future if this lack of leadership expands.

alisonqv Member

I bought my bed from a place called Good Morning Mattress Center - They have the same bed that's in all the Marriott but with a better price. They are one of the largest retailers of Jamison and they can probably help you find the bed you're looking for.

Here is their phone number: (855) 825-4530

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...