12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2014 1:44 PM by 0504Traveller RSS

FYI Insiders - Free National Park Admission - April 19-20, 2014

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

U.S. National Park ServiceFree Entrance Days in the National Parks

Many of us Insiders enjoy America's National Parks. On April 19-20, opening weekend of National Park Week, admission to the 133 parks that normally charge admission (out of the 401 parks) is free. Enjoy, take photos, and tell us all about it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: FYI Insiders - Free National Park Admission - April 19-20, 2014
    Platinum 28 Reviews

On the same topic:

Upon entering GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK a few years ago, the ranger inquired "is there anyone in the car that is sixty years of age or older?"

Responding in the affirmative (and supplying the necessary documentation ) I was offered an entrance fee of ten dollars!

In place of the standard two week pass for the park I was presented with a PASS good at every NATIONAL PARK for the rest of my life AND all accompanying me in the same vehicle are included.

If you fall into this "middle age range (LOL) the pass is called   the GOLDEN PASSPORT.  It is accepted at every public federal area that requires entrance fees administered by:THE BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT, FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICES, BUREAU OF RECLAMATION, NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, AND THE FORREST SERVICE

On a side note, many places you might visit in Washington DC fall under one of the above agencies.

Hoping this post saves some members some moneyl

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Usually I stay away from free entrance days because this brings huge crowds.  The Natural History museum in Balboa Park in San Diego has one free day a week, I think Tuesday, and locals know that is the day to not go.  If I am going, I check and make sure that I am not going on that day.  Why take advantage of free, if you can't see anything?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Fantastic tip erc - thanks so much for sharing and we look forward to seeing photo albums from your travels

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...